Fault: Free Sanity DVD Player

About 3 months ago Sanity had a deal where you bought 4 DVD's and they gave you a free DVD player. The player had a 90 day return to Sydney warranty. After about 90 days mine stopped working. Investigating I found that the

1000 microfarad, 10 VW electrolytic capacitor in the power supply was swollen. I replaced it and now all is well. Just yesterday I had the same thing happen on another of the same players. It looks like there was a faulty batch of capacitors. John
Reply to
Johnnyboy

They probably knew this as well, which is why they bought them for peanuts and gave them away to get people into the stores.

-mark

Reply to
mark jb

Electrolytics and dry joints seem to be the most common trouble spots in electronic equipment !

Even though most items these days, especially DVD players arent really worth fixing these days, its still nice to have such a win :)

I even had a strange dream about faulty electros last night. In it - a manufacturer was advertising they had made their first electrolytic in 1948 and it was still working (in a vertical deflection circuit), and therefore theirs were the most reliable !

After this - Im starting to doubt my sanity - or maybe I have just been working too hard ? :)

Reply to
KLR

Have had a few where the brushes on the disc motor wear through and fail.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

"KLR"

** I saw a 5 watt valve guitar amp that was made in Sydney in 1948 just last week.

All the big red Ducon electros were just fine !!!!

Shame about the 10 inch *electrodynamic* speaker, but !!

............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

they just don't make things like they used to

there is an old model film projector, a Bauer u3, from the late 50's to mid

60's. It has a 8uf motor start cap in it. Average usage is 6-8 starts a day, starting sequence takes about 10-15 seconds. They almost never fail.

Now defunct competitor made a new control board with new caps, some brand from Italy I have never seen. They seem to erupt in monumental fashion in about 5 years. So I replace them with one of the original caps from a spare control board.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Hathaway

Nah! Caps are probably OK, but underrated.

Very common in all cheap DVDs.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf Ladyzhenskii