Fault: Free Sanity DVD Player

About 3 months ago Sanity had a deal where you bought 4 DVD's and they gave
you a free DVD player.
The player had a 90 day return to Sydney warranty.
After about 90 days mine stopped working. Investigating I found that the
1000 microfarad, 10 VW electrolytic capacitor in the power supply was
swollen.
I replaced it and now all is well.
Just yesterday I had the same thing happen on another of the same players.
It looks like there was a faulty batch of capacitors.
John

Re: Fault: Free Sanity DVD Player

They probably knew this as well, which is why they bought them for peanuts
and gave them away to get people into the stores.

-mark

Re: Fault: Free Sanity DVD Player

Electrolytics and dry joints seem to be the most common trouble spots
in electronic equipment !

Even though most items these days, especially DVD players arent really
worth fixing these days, its still nice to have such a win :)

I even had a strange dream about faulty electros last night.  In it -
a manufacturer was advertising they had made their first electrolytic
in 1948 and it was still working (in a vertical deflection circuit),
and therefore theirs were the most reliable !

After this - Im starting to doubt my sanity - or maybe I have just
been working too hard ? :)

Re: Fault: Free Sanity DVD Player

"KLR"

**  I saw a  5 watt valve guitar amp that was made in Sydney in 1948 just
last week.

All the big red Ducon electros were just fine   !!!!

Shame about the 10 inch  *electrodynamic* speaker,  but !!

.............  Phil

Re: Fault: Free Sanity DVD Player

they just don't make things like they used to

there is an old model film projector, a Bauer u3, from the late 50's to mid
60's. It has a 8uf motor start cap in it. Average usage is 6-8 starts a day,
starting sequence takes about 10-15 seconds. They almost never fail.

Now defunct competitor made a new control board with new caps, some brand
from Italy I have never seen. They seem to erupt in monumental fashion in
about 5 years. So I replace them with one of the original caps from a spare
control board.

Mark

Re: Fault: Free Sanity DVD Player

Have had a few where the brushes on the disc motor wear
through and fail.

Re: Fault: Free Sanity DVD Player

Nah! Caps are probably OK, but underrated.

Very common in all cheap DVDs.

Rudolf

Re: Fault: Free Sanity DVD Player

I would still say the caps were faulty. I replaced them with 10VW caps.
Similar to a group of motherboards in the last year or two.
Will see in 6 months how the replacements go.
John