Fast zener diode substitute

I decided to built this:

http://notes.ump.edu.my/fkee/e-Magazine/Elektor%202004/Articles/E/e04b020.pdf

It keeps the battery a little bit active, preventing sulphation by
(50 μs) approximately every two minutes.

But they used a fast zener diode (BZT03 27V) across the FET for
protection, as rather large voltage spikes can occur when the FET
switches off.

I can not find this diode where I am, so can you suggest a substitute? I
guess I can not just put regular 27V zener diode here?

--
     /__/  /    \      ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **