Farnell packaging silliness

Farnell have always gone a bit overboard on packaging, but my latest
shipment I thought was just silly.

Some SMD resistors back ordered from the US (Newark) arrived in the
usual courier bag, inside of which was a padded #0 jiffy bag for EACH
resistor type!
Of course, inside the jiffy bag was the usual labeled zip-lock bag
with my tiny strip of resistors along with another peel-off label.

The world is now short a dozen jiffy bags.
Insane.

Anyone got any other ludicrous packaging stories?

Dave.

Re: Farnell packaging silliness

Probably some other Farnell ones of a similat nature but I reckon yours
beats mine.

I have had SMD IC samples delivered in large boxes filled with 'green'
paper packaging material. It's a bit like looking for a pin in the
haystack finding the sample.

Graham

Re: Farnell packaging silliness

Yup, I've had those as well! Mine are usually of the foam peanut
variety though. At least they are fun to play with, makes a nice mess
in the office.

Digikey now use a recycled perforated brown paper packaging. Neat
stuff, but still "looks" very wasteful.

Dave.

Re: Farnell packaging silliness

I ordered 4 parts from HP Aust for a LJ1200 last month.
They arrived in 3 separate boxes, on 3 separate days.  The boxes were quite
large
for such small parts:- separation pad, pickup roller, small gear.
An even larger box was used for the paper pickup shaft.
All were sent from Singapore via DHL, then by courier from Sydney.
And, they didn't charge me any freight.  I don't know how they make any money!

I have today just ordered some SMD resistors and LEDs from Farnell,
I'll let you know when they arrive how the packaging is.

Cheers
Colin

Re: Farnell packaging silliness

   Volume!!! ;-)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: Farnell packaging silliness
snipped-for-privacy@j1g2000prb.googlegroups.com:

How about this from HP?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/18/hp_packaging /

and this as well

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/18/hp_packaging /

Jim

Re: Farnell packaging silliness

Oops, second URL should have been:-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/23/enormouse /

Jim

Re: Farnell packaging silliness

I'm afraid this last link is hard to believe Jim.

Mark

Re: Farnell packaging silliness

I've written to the nice people at The Register and they say you can
have your money baxk. OK?

Jim

Re: Farnell packaging silliness

Thank f*&k for that, i was getting worried there for a minute

Re: Farnell packaging silliness

I complained for years about over packaging, especially from US
companies, as the customer of course wears the extra costs of both the
packaging and the shipping. I simply gave up. I don't think I have been
able to convince anyone to change their ways.

It is also a very good reason why people globally buy from companies
like mine, including US customers, as I post low cost world wide.

I spent 3 hours yesterday re-packaging 8 very large cartons from CCS in
the US (PIC ICD-U40 Programmers) into the space of a single 25KG Fedex
carton.

Nice examples Jim, they knocked me over. High of stupidity.

Ian mentioned re-using packaging. I also re-use a lot of it, but heaps
of cardboard cartons end up in the recycle bin.

The wooden pallet picture reminds me of a story attributed to Henry "You
can have any colour as long as it's black" Ford. He specified that
machine parts had to arrive at his factory in wooden crates in exact
dimensions. The crates we re-used to make the floor boards of his T
Model Automobiles. :-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Farnell packaging silliness
to keyboard and composed:

Our council recently issued every household with a green recycle bin
for garden waste. Now the original general waste bins had green lids,
albeit the same green as the body, so they were all refitted with red
lids. Wouldn't it have been smarter to have issued everyone with new
red general waste bins and changed the function of the existing green
bins?

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Farnell packaging silliness

   Are they the same size?  If they are, they only have to order and
stock one item, and add lids as needed.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: Farnell packaging silliness

   They do the same here. The truck crew sorts it into bins on the
recycling truck at each stop. I live outside the city and don't use a
commercial hauler, so I take the recyclables to the closest transfer
station where separate containers are available for each type of item.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html