Farnell aquires Cadsoft (Eagle PCB)

It's probably already been mentioned, but I just noticed that Farnell have
acquired Cadsoft (the makers of the Eagle PCB program):
http://www.cadsoftusa.com/farnell.htm
http://au.farnell.com/jsp/bespoke/bespoke3.jsp?ICID=i-f4bf-00003029&bespokepage=farnell/en_SG/designlink/cadsoft.jsp

Interesting...

Dave.

Re: Farnell aquires Cadsoft (Eagle PCB)

http://au.farnell.com/jsp/bespoke/bespoke3.jsp?ICID=i-f4bf-00003029&bespokepage=farnell/en_SG/designlink/cadsoft.jsp

Cadsoft did a mailing, so if youíre a registered user, you got a letter.

Cheers

Re: Farnell aquires Cadsoft (Eagle PCB)

David L. Jones Inscribed thus:

http://au.farnell.com/jsp/bespoke/bespoke3.jsp?ICID=i-f4bf-00003029&bespokepage=farnell/en_SG/designlink/cadsoft.jsp

I wonder how long it will be before it gets priced out of the market ?

--
Best Regards:
                Baron.

Re: Farnell aquires Cadsoft (Eagle PCB)

No. Weird! What does Farnell want with that software?

Re: Farnell aquires Cadsoft (Eagle PCB)

f4bf-00003029&bespokepage=farnell/en_SG/designlink/cadsoft.jsp

Does it use libraries?
Then they'll load it with all the stuff they sell, hint hint, or perhaps
they intend a "you've designed, now place your order" add-on, etc

Re: Farnell aquires Cadsoft (Eagle PCB)

http://au.farnell.com/jsp/bespoke/bespoke3.jsp?ICID=i-f4bf-00003029&bespokepage=farnell/en_SG/designlink/cadsoft.jsp

It's obvious.
Farnell (and others like Digikey etc) have had database portals in place for
some time (after a long period of refusing access), where CAD software can
now pull component data and pricing etc directly from their site.
It's the next CAD revolution, all of your data (schematic, footprint,
datasheets, pricing, stock etc) will come direct from the likes of Farnell,
Digikey, Mouser etc.
http://au.farnell.com/jsp/bespoke/bespoke9.jsp?bespokepage=farnell/en_SG/designlink/index.jsp

If Farnell have their own ECAD software that links to this database then
they will sell more parts.

Dave.

Re: Farnell aquires Cadsoft (Eagle PCB)

http://au.farnell.com/jsp/bespoke/bespoke3.jsp?ICID=i-f4bf-00003029&bespokepage=farnell/en_SG/designlink/cadsoft.jsp

  Yes, they will sell more parts.

  However, I would say that Farnell is in now way like digi-fart.

  They began as sellers of a much more sophisticated and expensive
product line.  They may now sell everything under the electronic industry
sun, but they at one time were very specialized.

 Digi-key, on the other hand, has always been the k-mart type "store"
where a more diverse product category and brand spectrum were sold.

  So, sure, they may NOW be like them.  They would likely come out on top
of this industry, even without this move though, because of their core
customer base from when their customers were more specialized as well.
They also have all their new customers.

  I think they are a far better organized firm.

  Watch their stock rise as digi-fart and the other guys fall...

    But yeah, this is just another form/way of someone SPAMMING you in
your job.

Re: Farnell aquires Cadsoft (Eagle PCB)

   No, dumbass. Digi-Key started business selling the parts & a kit to
build an electronic keyer for sending Morse Code.

Re: Farnell aquires Cadsoft (Eagle PCB)

Mycelium Inscribed thus:

http://au.farnell.com/jsp/bespoke/bespoke3.jsp?ICID=i-f4bf-00003029&bespokepage=farnell/en_SG/designlink/cadsoft.jsp

Actually I knew David Farnell. They started in a small office over the
top of a bus station offices.  They started out providing components
for the fledgling repair market in the late 50's if I recall correctly.

They were very successful.  I remember the place was nearly always
packed with people buying components from them.  This was in the early
days.

Best Regards:
                Baron.

Re: Farnell aquires Cadsoft (Eagle PCB)

Perhaps the market has changed and no longer made it viable to stay in
that role.

Re: Farnell aquires Cadsoft (Eagle PCB)

http://au.farnell.com/jsp/bespoke/bespoke3.jsp?ICID=i-f4bf-00003029&bespokepage=farnell/en_SG/designlink/cadsoft.jsp

That makes sense. I have been using a database like that for many
years but I always maintained that myself. For some reason Cadence's
products seem to be missing from the list.