Fake Caps

Oh, for gosh sakes, it's not to "reduce production costs" by a few cents worth of toner- it's the "give them a razor and sell them the overpriced blades forever" gambit.

But it's especially greedy of them to sell it with only a partially full $100 cartridge (or $500 worth of color cartridges), which carry the full load of hardware and are "chipped" to prevent refilling.

And they do reduce production costs-- by slapping together shoddy product from dubious raw materials in 3rd world countries, and not supporting it when the inevitable failures happen (in part by using other 3rd world nationals to waste time and money at first world rates over almost-free telecommunications links).

Only if you don't have an oligopoly, eh?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

e not

thing

I see that on a lot of packages of consumer electronics with the button cells, but my experience is that the batteries included last about as long as any. i assume it's a CYA thing.

e not

e toy

ount

Yeah, that chipping thing is clever, isn't it? "for your protection" so that you won't accidentally install a refilled cartridge which might cause problems.

My previous car came like that (Plymouth Sapporo, made by Mitsubishi). Had a tiny battery like out of a motorcycle, with a sheet metal spacer to fill out the rest of the room under the regular size battery holddown; sure enough died 11 months later, first cold spell of the next winter. Still covered under warranty, but the dealer pointed out that he would just give me another of those midget batteries which would die in another year, so I bought a real live regular size battery. (After that, though, the car never gave me any trouble at all for like another ten years.)

Rubycon

now that is impressive. much respect for RCA.

not

toy

unt

Code Poet, eh?

How's this for a Haiku:

this little mosfet lasted only two seconds buy another one

later

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Before buying your next printer, go to

to check on the availability of refill kits and/or less expensive replacement cartridges. I'm sure there are other, similar, vendors but I've used these guys and am happy with their prices and service.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

No argument. The problem is that few are clearly marked to warn prospective customers. Sure the info is now available if you look hard enough, but wasn't at all when that scam first started. Only public pressure makes many companies even attempt to do the right thing, and many not even then.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

It doesn't matter how they do it. If the "give them a razor and sell them the overpriced blades forever" gambit makes money, they can reduce he purchace price and keep the same profitability.

...which they don't. Brother is making laser printers with separate drum and toner units so you don't have to replace both together each time you are out of toner. This makes for cheaper toner cartridges. The drum unit has a longer life than the toner cartridge. That's the opposite of the "give them a razor and sell them the >overpriced blades forever." The printers, of course, cost more to purchase.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

z wrote:

I could have made the toy with an AAA compartment and used AAA cells instead of an AA compartment containing AA cells with AAA price/ capacity, but (like Mitsubishi), I gave the user what I consider to be a better alternative (AA and AAA compartment costs are very close).

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

it:

Cool. Again, evidence that the statistical tails never really go to zero. .

Reply to
JosephKK

I have a Brother laser on the shelf here, I can buy a new cartridge for $170 for it or I can buy a new laser with full size cartridge for $120.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Eh? You doubt that the field is dominated by a few large players?

That's hardly the opposite. Your logic is rather peccable, I'm afraid.

Brother's printer offering at one level (HL-5250DN)is quite a bit less than the price of HP's equivalent, and uses separate toner and drum as opposed to the single cartridge, so the premise is faulty.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

This relies upon being able to sell overpriced blades, which in turn relies upon being able to stifle competition.

Reply to
Nobody

Rubycon

ah i see. what you have there is an example of the fabled Vampire Battery, thought by some to be only an old wives' tale. during the night, this battery slinks around your house, draining the charge from your other batteries, in order to keep itself charged forever. if you have noted that other batteries around your house have died, this is the reason why.

No not at all, it's the only remaining version of a battery design patent bought by a major oil and electricity company and shelved. It was a prototype accidentally labelled and released by the factory.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

If it works, it's a fluke!

Don...