Fake Caps - Page 2

Re: Fake Caps
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 20:45:04 +0000, the renowned Guy Macon

Eh? You doubt that the field is dominated by a few large players?

That's hardly the opposite. Your logic is rather peccable, I'm afraid.

Brother's printer offering at one level (HL-5250DN)is quite a bit less
than the price of HP's equivalent, and uses separate toner and drum as
opposed to the single cartridge, so the premise is faulty.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Fake Caps

This relies upon being able to sell overpriced blades, which in turn
relies upon being able to stifle competition.

Re: Fake Caps

Code Poet, eh?

How's this for a Haiku:

this little mosfet
lasted only two seconds
buy another one

later

Michael

Re: Fake Caps

No argument. The problem is that few are clearly marked to warn prospective
customers. Sure the info is now available if you look hard enough, but
wasn't at all when that scam first started. Only public pressure makes many
companies even attempt to do the right thing, and many not even then.

MrT.

Re: Fake Caps

I see that on a lot of packages of consumer electronics with the
button cells, but my experience is that the batteries included last
about as long as any. i assume it's a CYA thing.

Re: Fake Caps

My previous car came like that (Plymouth Sapporo, made by Mitsubishi).
Had a tiny battery like out of a motorcycle, with a sheet metal spacer
to fill out the rest of the room under the regular size battery
holddown; sure enough died 11 months later, first cold spell of the
next winter. Still covered under warranty, but the dealer pointed out
that he would just give me another of those midget batteries which
would die in another year, so I bought a real live regular size
battery. (After that, though, the car never gave me any trouble at all
for like another ten years.)

Re: Fake Caps

I could have made the toy with an AAA compartment and used AAA cells
instead of an AA compartment containing AA cells with AAA price/
capacity, but (like Mitsubishi), I gave the user what I consider to
be a better alternative (AA and AAA compartment costs are very close).

--
Guy Macon
<http://www.GuyMacon.com/

Re: Fake Caps
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 06:55:51 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com

it:
http://www.alternatezone.com/images/FakeCap.jpg

I can vaguely recally the Radio Shack "battery of the month" club.

Re: Fake Caps

Yes!  And each time my dad and I went there, we'd get another card,
until we had a nice little stack... pull a card that wasn't yet marked
for the month, and voila... free shiny red Realistic battery!

Michael

Re: Fake Caps

Yes!  And each time my dad and I went there, we'd get another card,
until we had a nice little stack... pull a card that wasn't yet marked
for the month, and voila... free shiny red Realistic battery!

Michael

More than a few people took advantage of that ;-)

Dave.

Re: Fake Caps
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:24:39 +1100, "David L. Jones"

I have a DSE DVD player (G1928) which uses Rubycon branded caps in the
PSU. I suspect they are fakes because their dimensions don't match the
Rubycon datasheets.

http://groups.google.com/group/aus.dvd/msg/7f6c25370ba0d899

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Fake Caps
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 06:55:51 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com

it:
http://www.alternatezone.com/images/FakeCap.jpg

THE WINAH!!!

http://tantel.ca/Images/Holder/sm_battery_1.jpg

No, I don't know how old it really is but it came outta an early 60's
vintage Heathkit VTVM I got on ebay 4-5 years ago, from the logo it
could actually be original to the unit :/.

And yes, that really is the voltage from that battery showing on the
meter, & yes, I took the pic today (Mar 19/09).

H.

Re: Fake Caps
On Mar 19, 9:57A0%pm, Howard Eisenhauer

now that is impressive. much respect for RCA.

Re: Fake Caps
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 01:57:14 GMT, Howard Eisenhauer

it:
http://www.alternatezone.com/images/FakeCap.jpg

Cool.  Again, evidence that the statistical tails never really go to
zero.
  .

Re: Fake Caps
On Mar 19, 9:57A0%pm, Howard Eisenhauer

ah  i see. what you have there is an example of the fabled Vampire
Battery, thought by some to be only an old wives' tale. during the
night, this battery slinks around your house, draining the charge from
your other batteries, in order to keep itself charged forever. if you
have noted that other batteries around your house have died, this is
the reason why.

Re: Fake Caps

      No not at all, it's the only remaining version of a battery design
patent bought by a major oil and electricity company and shelved. It was
a prototype accidentally labelled and released by the factory.

Re: Fake Caps

If it works, it's a fluke!

Don...

--