Fake Caps

Speaking of fake cache SRAM in another post reminded me of this fake electrolytic cap. Some might get a laugh out of it:

One has to wonder though if the fakers got faked? What's inside the Rubycon cap?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

on

i remember when consumer reports tested rechargable batteries, like in the 70s, a zillion years before they got popular. except for Radio Shack rechargables, there wasn't any more capacity in the C or D sizes than the AA size; which was understandable when they autopsied them and found that the bigger ones were just AA batteries padded out to larger size. Except for Radio Shack rechargable batteries, oddly enough.

ycon

oops, i remembered wrong; all the D cells were just C cells in fat suits, not AA cells, except the Radio Shack.

that's still damn weird.

Nothing weird about companies trying to deceive customers in order to maximise profits. The crooks have done it since day one, and will probably still be scamming on the eve of Armageddon!

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

In the case of rechargables, it's arguable that it wasn't really a scam. The cells usually state their capacity on the casing.

If you want rechargable cells for an appliance that takes D cells, then C cells won't cut it - you need D cells even if they only have the same capacity as C cells.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Are you sure Sylvia, these work fine for me:

Depends on the appliance of course. What appliances do you have that take D's?

Reply to
K Ludger

Partly true, there are however cheap plastic shells available if you really wanted to use C cells in your D cell device. The whole point of using D cells of course is to give longer battery duration, and I doubt most people realised they were substituting C cells that were simply cased to fit a D cell holder. The weight was a dead give away if you knew of course.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

it:

Radio Shack always had great batteries. Their gold alkaline cells were outstanding, I have some 15 year old AAA cells that I use once in a while, still good! Same for their blue NiCads, held a charge like crazy, still work after

10 years.
Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

I have a beat up old 80s radio in the kitchen.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

it:

I can vaguely recally the Radio Shack "battery of the month" club.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:24:39 +1100, "David L. Jones" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I have a DSE DVD player (G1928) which uses Rubycon branded caps in the PSU. I suspect they are fakes because their dimensions don't match the Rubycon datasheets.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

There actually is a legitimate function for a small battery in a larger shell. When Mattel ships toys that have a "try me" feature, we of course have to include batteries, but as usual with toys, every penny counts (some toys are produced at rates exceeding

100,000 per hour), so a cheaper, lower-capacity nbattery in a larger battery compartment makes sense. Not only is the battery cheaper, but the container ship from China charges a bit less if the container weighs less.
--
Guy Macon
Reply to

Rubycon

Yes! And each time my dad and I went there, we'd get another card, until we had a nice little stack... pull a card that wasn't yet marked for the month, and voila... free shiny red Realistic battery!

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Yes! And each time my dad and I went there, we'd get another card, until we had a nice little stack... pull a card that wasn't yet marked for the month, and voila... free shiny red Realistic battery!

Michael

More than a few people took advantage of that ;-)

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

it:

THE WINAH!!!

No, I don't know how old it really is but it came outta an early 60's vintage Heathkit VTVM I got on ebay 4-5 years ago, from the logo it could actually be original to the unit :/.

And yes, that really is the voltage from that battery showing on the meter, & yes, I took the pic today (Mar 19/09).

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Still sounds like a rip off to me, IF it is not stated the batteries are not designed to last beyond testing. I can just imagine Xmas morning and the toy lasts 2 minutes! At least when it says "batteries not included" you know what to expect.

Sounds a lot like the printer manufacturers only providing a "trial" amount of ink, then charging more for the ink than the printer. Yes there is a legitimate reason, FOR THEM :-(

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

A lot of toys do have a disclaimer like that, as a matter of fact -- something like, "batteries are for in-store demo only and are not guaranteed in any way."

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Laser printer manufacturers who favor that sort of business practice (eg. Hewlett-Packard) ship printers with partially empty cartridges so as to shorten the time before you'll have to buy the proprietary replacement. The same sort of trickery that has makers of consumer products repackage their goods in smaller (but cleverly shaped) packages (typically priced the same per package). They don't so much save on the contents, but on the shorter time until you re-purchase.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

something

Well that's obviously not deceptive then, the ones who don't however....

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

You don't consider being able to buy a printer/scanner/copier/fax for $49 to be a reason "for you" that you might want a amnufacturer to reduce production costs?

It's a trade-off and you have a choice; there are plenty of printers with high purchase costs and low toner/ink costs if that's what you want. I personally bought a high purchase price / low toner cost monochrome laser printer that I use a lot, and a low purchase price / high ink cost inkjet for the rare times I need to print in color. More choices good. Fewer choices bad.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to