Fake Caps

Speaking of fake cache SRAM in another post reminded me of this fake
electrolytic cap. Some might get a laugh out of it:
http://www.alternatezone.com/images/FakeCap.jpg

One has to wonder though if the fakers got faked? What's inside the Rubycon
cap?

Dave.

Re: Fake Caps

i remember when consumer reports tested rechargable batteries, like in
the 70s, a zillion years before they got popular. except for Radio
Shack rechargables, there wasn't any more capacity in the C or D sizes
than the AA size; which was understandable when they autopsied them
and found that the bigger ones were just AA batteries padded out to
larger size. Except for Radio Shack rechargable batteries, oddly
enough.

Re: Fake Caps
it:
http://www.alternatezone.com/images/FakeCap.jpg

Radio Shack always had great batteries. Their gold alkaline cells were
outstanding, I have some 15 year old AAA cells that I use once in a
while, still good!
Same for their blue NiCads, held a charge like crazy, still work after
10 years.

Re: Fake Caps

oops, i remembered wrong; all the D cells were just C cells in fat
suits, not AA cells, except the Radio Shack.
http://pheatt.emporia.edu/projects/battery/ConsumerReports_1294a.pdf
that's still damn weird.

Re: Fake Caps

Nothing weird about companies trying to deceive customers in order to
maximise profits. The crooks have done it since day one, and will probably
still be scamming on the eve of Armageddon!

MrT.

Re: Fake Caps

In the case of rechargables, it's arguable that it wasn't really a scam.
The cells usually state their capacity on the casing.

If you want rechargable cells for an appliance that takes D cells, then
C cells won't cut it - you need D cells even if they only have the same
capacity as C cells.

Sylvia.

Re: Fake Caps

Partly true, there are however cheap plastic shells available if you really
wanted to use C cells in your D cell device.
The whole point of using D cells of course is to give longer battery
duration, and I doubt most people realised they were substituting C cells
that were simply cased to fit a D cell holder. The weight was a dead give
away if you knew of course.

MrT.

Re: Fake Caps

Are you sure Sylvia, these work fine for me:

http://www.greenbatteries.com/battery-adapter.html

Depends on the appliance of course. What appliances do you have that take
D's?

Re: Fake Caps

I have a beat up old 80s radio in the kitchen.

Re: Fake Caps

There actually is a legitimate function for a small battery in a
larger shell.  When Mattel ships toys that have a "try me" feature,
we of course have to include batteries, but as usual with toys,
every penny counts (some toys are produced at rates exceeding
100,000 per hour), so a cheaper, lower-capacity nbattery in a
larger battery compartment makes sense. Not only is the battery
cheaper, but the container ship from China charges a bit less
if the container weighs less.

--
Guy Macon
<http://www.GuyMacon.com/

Re: Fake Caps

Still sounds like a rip off to me, IF it is not stated the batteries are not
designed to last beyond testing. I can just imagine Xmas morning and the toy
lasts 2 minutes! At least when it says "batteries not included" you know
what to expect.

Sounds a lot like the printer manufacturers only providing a "trial" amount
of ink, then charging more for the ink than the printer.
Yes there is a legitimate reason, FOR THEM :-(

MrT.

Re: Fake Caps

A lot of toys do have a disclaimer like that, as a matter of fact -- something
like, "batteries are for in-store demo only and are not guaranteed in any
way."

Re: Fake Caps
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 19:42:31 -0700, the renowned "Joel Koltner"

Laser printer manufacturers who favor that sort of business practice
(eg.  Hewlett-Packard) ship printers with partially empty cartridges
so as to shorten the time before you'll have to buy the proprietary
replacement. The same sort of trickery that has makers of consumer
products repackage their goods in smaller (but cleverly shaped)
packages (typically priced the same per package). They don't so much
save on the contents, but on the shorter time until you re-purchase.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Fake Caps

something

Well that's obviously not deceptive then, the ones who don't however....

MrT.

Re: Fake Caps

You don't consider being able to buy a printer/scanner/copier/fax
for $49 to be a reason "for you" that you might want a amnufacturer
to reduce production costs?

It's a trade-off and you have a choice; there are plenty of printers
with high purchase costs and low toner/ink costs if that's what you
want. I personally bought a high purchase price / low toner cost
monochrome laser printer that I use a lot, and a low purchase price
/ high ink cost inkjet for the rare times I need to print in color.
More choices good. Fewer choices bad.

--
Guy Macon
<http://www.GuyMacon.com/

Re: Fake Caps
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 19:11:47 +0000, Guy Macon

Oh, for gosh sakes, it's not to "reduce production costs" by a few
cents worth of toner- it's the "give them a razor and sell them the
overpriced blades forever" gambit.

But it's especially greedy of them to sell it with only a partially
full $100 cartridge (or $500 worth of color cartridges), which carry
the full load of hardware and are "chipped" to prevent refilling.

And they do reduce production costs-- by slapping together shoddy
product from dubious raw materials in 3rd world countries, and not
supporting it when the inevitable failures happen (in part by using
other 3rd world nationals to waste time and money at first world rates
over almost-free telecommunications links).

Only if you don't have an oligopoly, eh?

Re: Fake Caps

Yeah, that chipping thing is clever, isn't it? "for your protection"
so that you won't accidentally install a refilled cartridge which
might cause problems.

Re: Fake Caps
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 16:41:20 -0400, Spehro Pefhany

Before buying your next printer, go to
http://www.printerfillingstation.com/index.htm
to check on the availability of refill kits and/or less expensive
replacement cartridges. I'm sure there are other, similar, vendors but
I've used these guys and am happy with their prices and service.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA

Re: Fake Caps

It doesn't matter how they do it.  If the "give them a razor and sell
them the overpriced blades forever" gambit makes money, they can
reduce he purchace price and keep the same profitability.

...which they don't.  Brother is making laser printers with separate
drum and toner units so you don't have to replace both together each
time you are out of toner.  This makes for cheaper toner cartridges.
The drum unit has a longer life than the toner cartridge. That's the
opposite of the "give them a razor and sell them the >overpriced
blades forever."  The printers, of course, cost more to purchase.

--
Guy Macon
<http://www.GuyMacon.com/

Re: Fake Caps

    I have a Brother laser on the shelf here, I can buy a new cartridge
for $170 for it or I can buy a new laser with full size cartridge for
$120.

Site Timeline