fake "body fat" scales from Jaycar - Page 2

Re: fake "body fat" scales from Jaycar

<snip>

AHAHAHA what a hypocrite.

P.S. Don't believe your missus when she says she doesn't mind the gut.

Re: fake "body fat" scales from Jaycar

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 08:44:48 +1000, "Ross Marchant"

At least i am still sub 100kg, not overly fat for a 6' lad. It still
does not make me stupid enough to buy tele-trader fat scales.

Sounds like you are worried cause your missus cant see you tiny penis
underneath your fat rolls

Re: fake "body fat" scales from Jaycar

@quokka.wn.com.au:

 No they're not. Google for phrases like "mere puff" and
"Carbolic Smokeball Company". You've got Buckley's of
demonstrating that you bought in to anything other than
entertainment. Take Jaycar's reputation, the wording of
the advertisement (what was written on the box is irrelevant,
you purchased on the strength of the puf^H^H^Hadvertisement,
not the box). You know that line about snowballs and hell?
That's where you stand. This is first year undergraduate law,
and not a smidgin more!

GB

Re: fake "body fat" scales from Jaycar

If you are taking steps to lose weight then a set of scales is necessary to
monitor your progress. It not so important that the scales are perfectly
accurate but they can help monitor *changes* in you body fat. This shows you
how successful your weight loss program is. Gives you an idea if you are
heading in the right direction.
I weigh myself at the same time each day, wearing the same clothing because
my weight varies so much through the course of a day.
Here is a bit of a guide that might help you to use those scales.
http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/bodyfatscales.html

Re: fake "body fat" scales from Jaycar

Actually these scales must be doing something because they don't work if
you've got shoes on.

Michael

Re: fake "body fat" scales from Jaycar

Quite right, they do have electrical sensors. But the reading is faked.

My guess is that the hardware was designed to do it properly, but didn't
work, so they did a software "fix" to fake it. But thats just speculation.

Re: fake "body fat" scales from Jaycar

As a comparison, what are the reading you got? Mine was 83.2kgs, 187cm and
27% fat.

Michael

Re: fake "body fat" scales from Jaycar

I've not used the Jaycar one, but a similar model Target sells ..

It actually *CALCULATES* your BMI (Body Mass Index) which is your body fat
percetage, and only needs weight, height, sex and age to do so. The
electrical part measures Hydration levels, which if its anything like the
Target scales, it should also show.

Mine flash up weight, BMI, Hydration %

The Hydration % is what it measures electronically, the BMI is calculated.
The wording on the website even implies this also.

Re: fake "body fat" scales from Jaycar

In aus.consumers on Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:26:56 +1100

Nitpick - the BMI is no such thing.

It is the old height weight charts under another name, with no
possibility of range based on body type.

Zebee

Re: fake "body fat" scales from Jaycar

Hydration % isn't the same as Body Fat %, and BMI is essentially
worthless.

All of these cheap devices are nothing but toys, only good for weight
measurement.
If you want true body fat % you have to spend some $$$ for a more
professional unit, and prefereably one with handgrips too so it can
take measurements from different points..

Dave :)

Re: fake "body fat" scales from Jaycar

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 09:57:25 +0800, Mike

Why don't you just use resistors to test the scales? For example, what
about two metal pads connected to a resistance wheel? Stand on the
pads in rubber soled shoes.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: fake "body fat" scales from Jaycar

I just used people of differing build, and added weights, conducting and
insulated. It was inpossible to get a %fat reading off their =f(m)
formulae, with constant age/height/sex settings.

The real meters measure more than just DC resistance. See this page:

http://www.rjlsystems.com/docs/bia_info/principles /

Re: fake "body fat" scales from Jaycar - RESULT

Jaycar refunded the money.
They have changed the packaging in the shops, which now makes no claim
of measuring fat.  The machine itself still pretends to do it, of course.
   And even the staff still assumed that it really worked.

I checked out the newer $90 model, which was really bad in so many ways.
So its back to the old mechanical model for me.

Re: fake "body fat" scales from Jaycar - RESULT

The funny thing is if they didn't measure body fat at all you would have
been perfectly happy with them.

Michael

Site Timeline