fairchild has dropped their LED line. Any recommendations for suppliers?

It looks like Fairchild has dropped their line of colour LEDs.

What a shame.

I'm guessing its because of the many LED manufacturers out there that are
getting very competitive in price and quality.

But for a manufacturer that is known for their good reputation in
transistors and diodes, I would have thought that people would want to go to
them for their reliability.

I am in need of a couple of thousand LEDs,. nothing special just your
average low brightness run of the mill red orange and green ones. Trouble is
that typing in LED manufacturer into google gives you an inordinate amount
of crappy hits. None of which are familiar to me.

Can anyone recommend a fully automated hassle free competitive company with
a nice automated ordering process that you can recommend for large
quantities of LEDs?

-Phil

Re: fairchild has dropped their LED line. Any recommendations for suppliers?

What about calling your local suppliers - Xon / Tenrod etc - give them some
ballpark specs and let them do the work for you. Worst thing is finding a
suitable part and then finding it's a pain in the butt to get hold of.

Re: fairchild has dropped their LED line. Any recommendations for suppliers?

Try Tenrod, who distribute the KingBright LEDs.

Re: fairchild has dropped their LED line. Any recommendations for suppliers?

I'd prefer to deal direct with the manufacturer. Tenrod does not have an
online ordering system.

I like the system that companies such as fairchild and maxim have. It cuts
out the middle man and you know you are not paying inflated prices (which
adds up to quite a bit when adding even one cent to each component)......
also the shipping dates and stock levels are completely transparent, unlike
most middle man companies.

Cheers, Phil

Re: fairchild has dropped their LED line. Any recommendations for suppliers?

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:30:45 +1000, "Phil in Melbourne"

Most manufacturers dont deal directly (other than for samples) and the
ones that do normally ship via their distrubuter anyway. The prices
directly from manufacturers tend to be inflated as well. If you are
using large quantities, you would be far better off striking up a good
relationship with your local distributer.

Site Timeline