Failed Electro - Page 2

Re: Failed Electro

What a skewed reality.  You accept interpretation and
manipulation of data you've never seen from people you
don't know without reservation, yet dismiss a real guy's
reliability experience with years of quality product he's
delivered to the world's most demanding customers.

That's bizarre.

Regards,
James Arthur

Re: Failed Electro

Bill IS bizarre.

Graham

Re: Failed Electro

I know stuff. Graham doesn't and he really doesn't appreciate how
little he knows and how much there is to know.This makes it difficult
for him to understand what I'm on about.

46%rom my point of view, it is Graham's pretensions to knowledge that
are really bizarre. It is as if he aspired to compete in formula one
riding a unicycle.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: Failed Electro

You talk a lot.

I've never seen you make a single decent design suggestion. Speaks volumes.

Graham

Re: Failed Electro

Then you haven't been paying attention - which isn't unexpected.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: Failed Electro

You ARE indeed quite MAD. It's time you sought treatment. Your detachment from
reality accelerates every single day.

Graham

Re: Failed Electro

Possibly. But I've got a long way to go before I'm as detached as the
average psychiatrist, let alone you or Jim Thompson, and I'd have to
be much further out of touch with reality than I am now to be silly
enough to consider taking your advice.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: Failed Electro

SEEK TREATMENT NOW !

It's free over there isn't it ? Show the shrink your posts in the various
threads you've been involved in recently.

Graham

Re: Failed Electro

The data I'm accepting has passed through peer-review and is cross-
checked against the work of other scientists that also goes through
peer-review.

John Larkin's claims about his gear don't have the same kind of built-
in quality control. He may be selling to the world's most demanding
customers - as was Cambridge Instruments back in the 1980's when I
worked for them - but my opression is that these customers are mainly
interested in getting hold of gear that they can use to solve their
immediate problems; if it works, they aren't all that interested in
how well it works.

At Cambridge Instrumnents I did quite a lot of work on the EBMF 10.5
electron-beam microfabricator, which is an extensively modified
electron microscope which uses an electron beam to write fine patterns
on a flat surface - usually a chromium mask to be used to define a
layer in an integrated circuit.

It was a fine machine and worked well for a lot of customers - the
first one went to Fairchild with a set of scanning boards that I'd
hand-modified, and they loved it and used it to make most of the masks
for their 100k ECL parts.

The European university's semiconductor lab at IMEC in Belgium bought
one and set a bunch of graduate students to characterising the machine
while they got their semiconductor fab up and running, and they found
more minor faults than you could shake a stick at. At one point the
engineers who were working on correcting these faults came to me to
get hold the heat-pipe based heat-sink from my cupboard that I'd
ordered and not been given the time to try out on the machine - the
problem it was intended to solve was hypothetical and the guys at IMEC
had taken the trouble to validate my hypothesis.

Quality control on complex machines takes a lot of work and few
organisations have got the time to do it.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: Failed Electro

Like Mann's ?

Bwahahahahahahaaaha !

Graham

Re: Failed Electro

Graham is indulging in the fallacy of the excluded middle. Her seems
to think that because one academic paper was inadequately refereed, no
academic paper is to be trusted, and - in a sense - he is right.

I've published a couple of comments in Review of Scientific
Instruments and a couple of other peer-reviewed journals pointing out
that specific papers are inadequate, which is another aspect of the
academic quality control system.

This doesn't mean that one discards every paper ever published as
unreliable - the bulk of the published papers on anthropogenic global
warming form a coherent and self-consistent mass of evidence
supporting the hypothesis.

Graham doesn't know enough about science to understand this, and
nowhere near enough about the science involved to read any of the
papers and understand the evidence for himself, but he is too much of
a conceited know-it-all to believe this.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: Failed Electro

If that self-consistent mass is based on a popular vote, then it isn't
science.

Or isn't indoctrinated enough?

Lets face it, when the pope said that the sun revolved around the earth,
jst about every contemporary "scientist" agreed that this was true.
What is different now?

Re: Failed Electro

Foucaults pendulum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault_pendulum

was first demonstrated in 1851, and provided the first local evidence
that the earth rotated. These days there is a lot more evidence
around, if you happen to know where to look for it.

Graham doesn't and is that sense really isn't sufficiently
indoctrinated. Your question betrays a similar kind of ignorance.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: Failed Electro

You're talking evasive crap.

Graham

Re: Failed Electro

Since you snipped the substance of my argument, you'd be the
distastefully evasive ingredient in the mix.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: Failed Electro

By your own admission, the data are not reviewed.

That is a baseless slander.

James Arthur

Re: Failed Electro

All I had to do was read your reply James at the botton of the page, to KNOW it
was a post of Sloman's. What is the matter with the man ?

Graham

Re: Failed Electro

He just jumps to conclusions, that's all.  He knows America
better than Americans, from his sources overseas, John's
business better than John, etc.  And then he sticks to his
unloaded guns and lectures us.

I've seen John's gear.  It's good.

Cheers,
James Arthur

Re: Failed Electro

I do seem to be free of certain delusions Americans have about the
perfection of their electoral system and their health care systems; I
imagine I'm less exposed to the domestic propaganda machine which
starts telling Americans that America is perfect as soon as they get
into the education system, and reinforces the message through the mass
media for the rest of their lives.

John Larkin does seem to think that anybody expressing an opinion on
his business is - ipso facto - claiming to know it better than he
does, which is rather silly.

It's for your own good.

Of course it is good, but mind-rippingly good, insanely priced,
perfect-out-the-door good?

Some scepticism is obligatory.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: Failed Electro

Amazing, isn't it?  Can you think back, way back, I know it's a stretch,
back when you were doing electronics, what your impressions were of your
first Tektronix 475?  One of the best instruments ever, perfectly good off
the shelf, and worth a bundle, brand new.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.