FA: analog 200amp dc clamp meter

ebay item no 7503605140

Moving house, hope I can find it a home, I'm without a shed or workshop at the new place.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Hathaway

Hello Mark, I am interested in your meter but I have to ask the bleeding obvious. Have you used this meter to measure direct current recently?

Just for me can you clamp it round the battery neg. cable of your car battery and get someone to crank over the engine for you. I just want to know for sure before bidding that it does work on DC.

Switch all the lights and accessories on in your car without the engine running and tell me what the meter reads compared to a DC ammeter in your car if there is one. Just tell me what your "clamp on" meter reads.

With the engine revving and all accessories switched on, heater fan, rear window demister and high beam lights what is the reading when you clamp the meter round the alternator output wire?

Sorry for asking you to do this but I have bought some dud stuff on ebay by being too trusting and not asking questions. I had one seller of a mobile phone tell me when I complained that the phone didn't work. "You didn't ask me if it worked or not" Good condition just meant that it looked nice, whether it worked or not, is something else.

I have learned my lesson and I am asking you. Please double check the meter on DC for me by making a few measurements on your car.

What is the total postage and packing cost to Hornsby Heights, NSW 2077

Thanks, John Crighton

Reply to
John Crighton

"Mark Hathaway"

** That is not a DC clampmeter - it is AC only.

There is a current transformer with openable core driving a moving iron meter ( note the scale is cramped below 50 amps ) - so like any transformer is passes only AC.

DC clampmeters are electronic and use Hall Effect sensors.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Modern ones are, but HP built one a long time ago that used an oscillator and a n AC winding to measure the DC saturation of the core. Way back in the tube days! :) They had patents on the basic idea.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

40&rd=1

Given the vintage (from appearance) IMHO it would not be DC.

-- Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

"Mark Hathaway" ...