FA: analog 200amp dc clamp meter

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category15%04&item75%03605140&rd=1

ebay item no 7503605140

Moving house, hope I can find it a home, I'm without a shed or
workshop at the new place.

Mark

Re: FA: analog 200amp dc clamp meter

On 26 Mar 2005 00:50:03 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mark

Hello Mark,
I am interested in your meter but I have to ask
the bleeding obvious.  Have you  used this
meter to measure direct current recently?

Just for me can you clamp it round the battery
neg.  cable of your car battery and get someone
to crank over the engine for you. I just want
to know for sure before bidding that it does
work on DC.

Switch all the lights and accessories on in your
car without the engine running and tell me what
 the meter reads compared to a DC ammeter
in your car if there is one.
Just tell me what your "clamp on"  meter reads.

With the engine revving and all accessories
switched on,  heater fan, rear window demister
and high beam lights what is the reading
when you clamp the meter round the alternator
output wire?

Sorry for asking you to do this but I have
bought some  dud stuff on ebay by being
too trusting and not asking questions.
I had one seller of a mobile phone tell me
when I complained that the phone didn't
work. "You didn't ask me if it worked or not"
Good condition just meant that it looked nice,
whether it worked or not,  is something else.

I have learned my lesson and I am asking
you. Please double check the meter on  DC
for me by making a few measurements on
your car.

What is the total postage and packing cost
to Hornsby Heights, NSW 2077

Thanks,
John Crighton

Re: analog 200amp dc clamp meter

"Mark Hathaway"
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category15%04&item75%03605140&rd=1

 **   That is not a DC clampmeter  -  it is AC only.

 There is a current transformer with openable core driving a moving iron
meter ( note the scale is cramped below 50 amps )  -  so like any
transformer is passes only AC.

 DC clampmeters are electronic and use Hall Effect sensors.

........    Phil

Re: analog 200amp dc clamp meter

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category15%04&item75%03605140&rd=1

   Modern ones are, but HP built one a long time ago that used an
oscillator and a n AC winding to measure the DC saturation of the core.
Way back in the tube days! :)  They had patents on the basic idea.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Re: analog 200amp dc clamp meter

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category15%04&item75%036051
40&rd=1

Given the vintage (from appearance) IMHO it would not be DC.

--
Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull

Re: analog 200amp dc clamp meter

"Mark Hathaway"