Extension Lead Test - Page 2

Re: Extension Lead Test

I would just suggest that most consumers won't cut their extension lead
in half to check the conductors.

I've been in the same boat.

Re: Extension Lead Test

With everything having moulded plugs now, once you cut it, you have to
replace the plug.
I think that the current test is a better idea, especially if you have
a lot of them to test.

Re: Extension Lead Test

 It's all bullshit.

 We did our own cable testing in-house at my last job, and I assure you,
the cable tester did not in the least care about current (or perhaps)
resistance testing.  And as long as it got an OK from the tester box, we
signed the label, and the auditors were happy as pie.

 We tested it with the chinese bullshit IEC power cables, and all of
them passed with flying colours.  All they do is check to see each wire
goes to where it's supposed to, and there isn't high voltage leakage
between them.

 Passed with flying colours and I routinely threw them out because I
could not, and would not trust them.

 The supplier doesn't care.  The most you'll do is legally *make* them
supply real cables and throw out the fake ones.
 Per unit product price jumps by $10, and your supplier of $15 chinese
hard drive cases now charges $25 for the same thing.

 And you're still paying $15 because you're now shopping from his next
door neighbour who still hasn't been nabbed yet, especially since your
first supplier has since gone out of business, and you're sourcing real
leads cheaper in quantity from elsewhere anyway.

 *THAT* is reality, and how does this help *anyone*?.

Re: Extension Lead Test

A friend of mine in the UK had a business making cables. He made all
sorts, audio, video, and mains leads. He eventually gave it away because
imported Chinese cables, especially mains leads, were being retailed for
less than his cost of materials. Since he was buying his materials on
the same open market as they were, there was obviously some major
difference in the quality of the product being used.

Re: Extension Lead Test

 Indeed.

 And this crap will STILL be imported regardless.  Kinda like saying you
don't like that particular droplet of ocean water, and the tide is
coming in.  Are YOU going to stop it?

 Worst still, no-one was likely to find out because these power cords
are supplied for low power gear that will never heat the cable above spec.
 Till of course they take that particular power cable and plug it into
something that DOES take 10A, all the while wondering why they're left
with a smouldering mess.

Re: Extension Lead Test

"John Tserkezis"

** By whom ??

Backyard Ebay sellers and a few similar gung ho types who have no idea what
the safety laws are ??

I challenge you to point to even one such dealer who is doing this.

 .....   Phil

Re: Extension Lead Test

"David Eather"

** Then the whole business of safety and compliance with standards is YOUR
PROBLEM   - pal !!!

Cos  YOU  are the IMPORTER !!!!
---------------------------------------

OTOH -  my post involved a brand name mains extension lead, bought at a
major retail store here in Australia.

You comments are entirely  SMARTARSE  as they derive from a different
context where the LEGAL ONUS is on the   IMPORTER  to comply with electrical
safety laws.

The simplest way for a small time importer to comply, is to ditch any AC
leads that came with the item and source a fully approved example locally.

....   Phil

Re: Extension Lead Test

The legal obligation of the importer ends at making *reasonable*
attempts to ensure they have a compliant product and that is all.

The obligation would be fulfilled by communication to the supplier of
the product requirements and *sighting* (not checking the validity of) a
certificate of compliance issued by an appropriate Australian authority.

If your argument is that shouldn't be enough and a competent,
responsible importer should do more than I agree with you.

No they weren't, see above.

Almost certainly.

Phil,

Are you just making objections because it's fun for you? I remember
telling someone that elevated temperatures decreased the life of
components (eg electro's) only to have you rip into me calling that
bullshit, and a few days/weeks ago, you are telling someone that
elevated temperatures reduce the life of components, so if they keep the
temperature of their electro's down to 65 degrees then they would have a
chance of it outlasting the product it was in.

Quite frankly arguments over shades of grey bore me.

Re: Extension Lead Test

"David Eather is off with the Fairies"

** Fraid you are completely, 1000 %  WRONG   !!!!!!!

Appliance leads ( IEC, extension  etc) are PRESCRIBED  items under
Australian electrical safety laws.

You cannot LEGALLY  import and sell them unless  YOU  have obtained the
appropriate certifications and have the required labelling printed or
embossed ON the items -  or you can be prosecuted.

Seems you have not got the faintest clue what all this is even means.

Go have a GOOD look at an Australian supplied IEC lead  sometime -  pal.

There have labelling codes on them that identifies the IMPORTER  -  and that
is NOT on a foreign market one.

See all those funny 3 and 4 digit N, Q and V prefix numbers on the plugs and
the cable ?????

Got any idea what they mean ????

Obviously not.

THIS  FACT is where your smug arrogance is letting you down.

** Not at all.

You are another know nothing, PITA dickhead.

Clue up or piss off.

....  Phil

Re: Extension Lead Test

I really am not being smug in the least. Serious. If I was trying to be
smug I would add insults and belittling expressions, which I haven't done.

Re: Extension Lead Test

 "David Eather is off with the Fairies"

** You are nothing but smug.

You imagine you understand something you do NOT.

You refuse to be corrected.

That is smug.

.....  Phil

Re: Extension Lead Test

Does anyone know what electrical qualifications this idiot Allison has.?  Or
any others for that matter. Maybe when he leaves school he may mature. It
would take a while though. Just a thought

Re: Extension Lead Test

Phil has quite a bit of electrical knowledge,He is just extremely annoying.

Re: Extension Lead Test

Pity not as much as he thinks.

In the running for understatement of the year!

MrT.

Re: Extension Lead Test

 At last count, Phil claims that fake IEC power leads do not even exist.
 Regardless of the fact that I've initially offered one for him to test.
 (No response yet as to his interest on this).

 Feel free to use Google groups to gather evidence of your own.
 I've spent some time in the loony bin. (also documented)
 You're welcome to make up your own mind as to who the real loony is.

Re: Extension Lead Test

"John Tserkezis"

** I was the  FIRST  person to raise the matter of fake IEC leads here on
August 2, 2002 under the heading  " IEC lead scam ?? "

Hi to all,

    I have in my workshop a standard (black) IEC female to three pin lead
which arrived with a repair job.  The 3 pin plug was damaged so I cut it off
and began to prepare the wires when I stopped dead.

  On the IEC plug is printed  "10 A / 250 V " and on the cable itself is
printed  "18 AWG x 3C " - it is 6.5 mm in diameter.

  The wire in fact consists of  18 strands of 0.11mm copper or about 0.17 sq
mm in total while 18 AWG is equal to 0.82 sq mm.

  The very thin cable actually used equates to a rating of maybe 4  amps  -
this is very dangerous.

  I will try to discover where this lead came from.

   Regards,  Phil

The above is post resulted in a 135 post long thread  PLUS  follow up
threads of  41 and 21 posts.

http://groups.google.com.au/group/aus.electronics/browse_thread/thread/e81f38c1769b7a11/867ad66370d33e2c?hl=en&q=iec+lead+scam++group:aus.electronics+author:phil+author:allison

** No point in testing any lead when JT will not reveal where it came from.

** Backs me up utterly and completely.

** That is no surprise ........

**  Think the game is all over  -  pal.

....    Phil

Re: Extension Lead Test

You are very selective in your memory of history, and you see enemies
where there are none. I'm done.

Re: Extension Lead Test

"David Eather"

** Was never my intention to insult or make an enemy of you, David.

But rather to get your ATTENTION  and make you realise that you have NOT
done your homework re what has long been the LAW relating to importing
electrical / electronic items into Australia for resale.

A few minutes on Google turned up the page listed below from Australian
state bodies that regulate the sale of electrical goods.

They all say the same thing  -  the sale of imported appliances appearing on
the " Prescribed Items " ( aka Declared Items) list is * ILLEGAL * without
the importer first obtaining the required approval certificate from the
relevant state body.

Detachable AC power leads that come with practically every item of mains
powered electronics these days  ARE  prescribed items -  the whole lot of
them. In the regulations, they are generally called " Supply Flexible
Cords".

Here is some reading for you and others:

http://www.approvalsandcertification.com.au/Assets/prescribed%20articles.pdf

http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/energysafety/PDF/Factsheets/safety_electrical_ap.pdf

http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=hcWN4fpYYMM%3D&tabid56%&mid41%6

http://www.saaapprovals.com.au/files/Declared_Electrical_Products_General_List.pdf

http://www.saaapprovals.com.au/frequently_asked_questions.html

Standard practice to avoid the absurd hassle of getting each and every AC
cord approved yourself  -  is  to DITCH and destroy any non-Australian
approved AC supply cord that arrives packed with imported items and replace
it with one from a * known supplier* that has the required approvals and
markings applied already.

Eg;  the Q1803 single channel CRO  I bought from DSE a while back came
packed with an approved 1.8M long IEC lead  -  made in China but approved by
the Queensland authority.

The IEC female carries no:   Q03584
The 3-core cable carries no:  Q03403
The Aussie plug carries no:   Q03586

The cable is further labelled as " 3 x 0.75 sq mm " and checks out OK on
that with 45 milliohms resistance per conductor.

A similar IEC that cord came packed with my Rigol CRO (direct from China)
has no such markings and it not legal to sell here despite it checking out
OK.

.....  Phil

Re: Extension Lead Test

 You bet your arse it does.  (see my other thread on this)

  Of course, they use less copper, and just blatantly lie about it on
the label.

Re: Extension Lead Test

On Jun 19, 12:05A0%pm, John Tserkezis

Some of them might not even be copper. (at least not pure copper
anyway).

One under-rated IEC I cut apart (and posted results on here early
2007)
didn't look like copper (was more like a black colour rather than
copper colour), didn't like take to solder etc.

It melted / started smoking within a minute when running a 10A load
@240v.

This has led to "paranoia" in regards to testing of cords and
extensions ever since.

Site Timeline