Exploding CFLs - Page 2

Re: Exploding CFLs

"Jonno =  some asinine shithead from fuck knows where "

** The fact is,  the  VAST  MAJORITY of  standards

   are  COMPLETELY    VOLUNTARY    !!

  -    YOU    POSTURING   BLOODY    ASS   !!!!

** Some standards are enshrined in legislation while most are not.

Shame how many  ASININE  FUCKHEADS  like this anonymous

"  Jonno  "   CRETIN  have no bloody clue   !!!!

**  No need for it  to be compulsory in most cases.

The buying public get to chose what they pay for

and pay just for what they chose.
-------------------------------------

** Of course -  no chance to see anything with his head

 SHOVED   SO  FAR   UP   HIS  STUPID   FAT  ARSE  !!

**  The same info as had been posted by myself and others already.

FUCK OFF    -    " Jonno "

Don't ever dream of coming  back.

........  Phil

Re: Exploding CFLs

"Mauried"

**  You don't have a problem with insects do you ?

 Tiny cockies or ants maybe ?

 Nice and warm inside a CFL....

......   Phil

Re: Exploding CFLs

Good point,

I have found in the past that cockies conduct rectified mains (DC)
extremely well, enough to cause violent fuse blowings (and sometimes
semiconductor damage) in typical switchmode power supplies.  I haven't
been there when its actually happened, but looking at the resulting
burn marks and cockroach remains, could possibly make quite a "bang"
when it happened.

Re: Exploding CFLs

"kreed"
 "Phil Allison"

**  Another likely cause for an exploding CFL is water ingress or
condensation forming on the PCB inside.  The CFL will then likely explode
soon as it is switched on.

Incandescent lamps are all airtight sealed,  for obvious reasons   -   but
many CFLs have ventilation holes in the middle of the tube assembly that
permit water to enter  -  OR  and much more insidious,  condensation to form
inside if used in an outdoor situation like a porch or garden shed/ garage.

Some makers warn you against outdoor use on the pack,  while others do not.

Some makers warn you about using them inside a sealed lamp fitting,  others
do not.

Looks like the public have to find out the HARD way every time.

.......   Phil

Re: Exploding CFLs

this is a very plausible failure mechanism. Because all of the internal
creepage & clearance is working, rather than safety, it is often
frighteningly small. And for minimum cost, few are conformally coated.

Cheers
Terry

Re: Exploding CFLs

"Terry Given"

**  The ambiguous phrase  "conformally coated "  seems to mean whatever the
user conveniently wants it to mean.

For a CFL's electronics to be made immune from water ingress or internal
condensation, the PCB would have to be completely potted in a moisture proof
material.

A spray coat of clear lacquer would not do.

Might be easier to just seal up those darn ventilation holes.

.......   Phil

Re: Exploding CFLs

true. I have seen some reminiscent of CRC plasticote, and others ~ 3mm
thick.

yep. but a hard potting material would be a bad choice, because of the
inevitable thermal gradients.

nope.

something in-between those two extremes is probably workable. but its an
extra, messy, step, and so adds cost. Therefore it aint likely to happen.

I suspect that the lifetime of the electronics would plummet if you did
that. The electroytic(s) probably get quite a beating as is.

And of course if you seal up the holes, dT gives rise to dP. Still, at
least they are physically small.

In pracitce I think the approach most CFL manufacturers seem to take
(ignoring it) is probably cheapest overall for them. Shame about us poor
consumers :(

to be fair all the CFL failures I have had (perhaps 6 in 3 years, out of
about 30 CFLs) have been first-power-up failures, rather than very short
lifetimes. Which suggests crappy manufacturing . Which is what we can
expect from made-in-china-as-cheaply-as-possible stuff.

This has been an interesting thread. I especially liked the link.
Cheers
Terry

Re: Exploding CFLs

G'day Phil,
    I haven't been following this thread, or many others here for that
matter. Too busy with work commitments etc to reply to your call. :-(

Bob

Re: Exploding CFLs

OK that rules out the other 1% then :-)

MrT.