Exotic Amplifier Technologies - Page 3

Re: Exotic Amplifier Technologies

The VCE of the output stage is constantly changing, anyway. Bipolar
transistors have high collector impedances which mean that they tend to
reject the effects of changes in VCE.

The possibility of changes in VCE due to rail switching affecting the
performance of the amplifier *is* the "feedtrhough" that Graham was
mentioning.

Hmm, didn't you just say that one such amp used rail switching to achieve
400 wpc?

You're being deceptive again Trevor, by not admitting that with the
rail-switching active in high-power mode, the amps output was considerably
greater.

Re: Exotic Amplifier Technologies

Agreed.

Trevor would also have us believe that its very common for home audio
systems to have 400-500 wpc amps.

I long ago learned that Trevor does a lot of audio power amp sound quality
evaluation with his head in the schematic diagrams. It's a lot less work
than proper bias controlled testing. ;-)

Re: Exotic Amplifier Technologies

I don't know the situation in Oz, but in Europe, Crown is often found in
broadcast and recording studios.

Iain

Re: Exotic Amplifier Technologies

The modern Crown amps I've tested have had breathtakingly good performance.
Sound great, too.

Re: Exotic Amplifier Technologies

Is that the Crown K series or Macro Tech, Arny?

We have a K2, and also two old but incredibly reliable DC300A.

They seem to be highly regarded

Iain

Re: Exotic Amplifier Technologies

Neither.

There's been a lot of good Crown amps since the DC300A.

Re: Exotic Amplifier Technologies

**Yep. I would assume the situation is the same here. IME, Crown have built
some very good amplifiers (Macro Tech) and some absolute shockers (DC300A).

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Exotic Amplifier Technologies

Try looking at a copy of Audio Electronics by John Linsley Hood at your
local library.
The Borbely cascode amp was fairly weird.

--
Eiron

I have no spirit to play with you; your dearth of judgment renders you
Re: Exotic Amplifier Technologies

One of the strangest was called "tubes". Something about
electron flow through a vacuum.

In the category of tubes there is a really odd one called
"SET" or Single-Ended Triode. Back in the late 1920s it was
found that using push-pull output stages provided a large
number of worthwhile benefits, but that apparently hasn't
stopped some people from trying to roll the clock back to
the days of Prohibition.

How about SS amps with no loop feedback? This creates a
number of problems including a near-total lack of power
supply ripple rejection.

Lots of them. Another oddity involved attempts to implement
SET using FETs.

Re: Exotic Amplifier Technologies

Like a tube amp of multi-parallel triodes and no OPT?

Or multi-sectional cross-wound transformers?

Or bad ideas like:

The 'ear shaped speaker'... talk about convoluted logic...

The 'reflected Bose' speakers.

There is a long list..

Re: Exotic Amplifier Technologies

You wanted exotic.

Check out the Zen-lightenment from http://www.passdiy.com/amps.htm

Re: Exotic Amplifier Technologies

Now thats pretty cool1 An amp you can read by!

Re: Exotic Amplifier Technologies

If you download the circuit diagram and you know a bit about electronics you
will scratch your head even more. It's a class A design with bare minimal
components, EXTREMELY power hungry and inefficient, has a very high
distortion statistic (which is disclosed in a graph but not ever mentioned
in the text) but all in all if it gets people into electronics, I like it.

Looks like a lot of hobbyists have made it. Some of the box designs are out
of this world. One guy has made two monoblocks. Each as big as a floor
standing subwoofer. Due to the inefficient design of the amp, his listening
room would be similar to a room with a 2000W electric heater while running
them. Not just at full volume, but all the time!!

Site Timeline