Exotic Amplifier Technologies

**Then you have a great deal to learn.

I am neither the original poster, nor a top poster. Go away and learn how to use your newsreader, then come back to us.

I suggest you do some actual research, before making a complete fool of yourself next time.

BTW: You have still not managed to answer my question. Be as technical as you feel necessary. In your answer, you may care to examine the impedance characteristics of headphones and relate what might happen to the frequency response, when driven by different impedance sources.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Arnie, I think you well know that speakers that could equal a HP like the Sennheiser HD595 for sheer reality in every area would cost many thousands, and I don't have many thousands. Also I don't wish to annoy the neighbours nor other members of the household. Headphones are perfect for me.

Reply to
paul packer

I'm not sure that speakers can duplicate headphones, or vice-versa. So the question of relative costs is rediculous.

I'm not debating the advantages of headphones. As you know Paul, I probably have more headphones and earphones by accident then you have on purpose. But I also have a few speakers...

That's fine, but Paul if you are sold on the exclusive use of headphones (nothing wrong with that!) why did you ask the question you did?

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Agreed. Speakers and headphones are a totally different listening experience.

I only have one pair of headphones and one pair of speakers. But I've listened to scores of phones over the years at length.

Refresh my memory.

Reply to
paul packer

I have about 5 pairs of pretty good speakers, some better than others. These days I mostly listen to the NHT 2.5is (main A/V system), the Boston Acoustics CR-9s (TV set) and the aftermarket speakers in my van and car.

I have about 15 different pairs of headphones and earphones. I mostly listen to the HD580s Iistening at home for pleasure) Sony MDR 7506 (editing) Futuresonics IEM (portable digital player) and Shure E-3 (portable CD/MP3 player).

Reply to
Arny Krueger

The 580s are a good phone, but I found them a little dull and boring. The 595 has the same or greater neutrality, a better soundstage and is more lively--also much easier to drive. I've not looked back since I bought it, and unless they bring out a "super" 595 it will be my last phone for many years.

Reply to
paul packer

There are a lot of people who think that for listening, they are exactly right. If not, one can throw in a little eq - that is if you have some eq at your disposal. Ever since we got the digital console at church, we've been pulling eq out of service.

That would be your personal opinon, which is of course yours to cherish. As far as the easier to drive thing goes, 580s have a nice combination of sensitivity and high impedance, and have to be the easiest headphones to drive of the over a dozen that I have. I've been known to drive them straight off of the line output of some audio production component or other, without difficulty. I do have a number of headphone amps, but with 580s their use is optional.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Isn't it better if things don't need eq? After all, you're adding another component with its own measure of distortion.

But not easier than the 580, which I owned. The 595 is much easier to drive, and that's the old 120 ohm version. Senn have now switched to

50 ohms.

I'm assuming you're very familiar with the 595.

Reply to
paul packer

Of course it is. In case you haven't figured it out, the reason to use eq is that it makes things sound better. If the eq doesn't make things sound better, then the wise person either comesup with different eq or forgets about eq altogether in this application.

The problem isn't usually the inherent distortion in modern equalizers (which is very low) its errors in adjusting the eq.

The 580 is so easy to drive I can't see that as a criteria to judge it by.

You seem to have an odd idea of what constitutes easy to drive, Paul. Usually high impedances are easier to drive than low impedances, all other things being equal.

Marginally.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

You're totally at odds with received wisdom here, Arnie. Check the search engines on any headphone site (say, Head-Fi) and you'll find the 580 is one of those phones considered to definitely need a dedicated HP amp, the 595 not. And this accords with my own experience. Where I would have had the volume at 10.30 with the 580, I rarely have it beyond 9.15 with the 595. Or perhaps you have a different way of measuring sensitivity?

Reply to
paul packer

Head Fi is a forum, IOW its the blind leading the blind.

Asa long as the phones are more than loud enough with the volume knob CCW of clipping, why should anybody care?

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Which they never are unfortunately. In fact with portable equipment the maximum output voltage levels are quite often too low to properly drive high impedance phones IME. Not that I am unhappy at all with my Senn 580's. I have other phones more suitable for portable use, and others still for live monitoring etc.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Yes, there are some high impedance headphones that are tough to drive because they need so much voltage.

Agreed. Too much of this stuff runs off of just 1.5 volts. 3 volts is better, and 5 volts covers a lot of territory.

I use IEMs for portable use, and less costly stuff that I sacrifice at the altar of live sound.

Reply to
Arny Krueger