Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen - Page 3

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

Because it's the correct unit to use and will blow to pieces certain untruthful
claims made about the true
output of CFLs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumen_ (unit)

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to
my email address

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1187175/So-watts-lumen-The-EUs-bright-idea-rename-light-bulbs.html

They could usefully require that the light output when cold after, say,
50 hours of total use, also be quoted.

Sylvia.

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1187175/So-watts-lumen-The-EUs-bright-idea-rename-light-bulbs.html

or after 5 seconds.  Many of the types I've encountered wouldn't make 50% of
their "ten minute output" at that time.

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1187175/So-watts-lumen-The-EUs-bright-idea-rename-light-bulbs.html

You mean when they're new? My experience is that they're reasonably OK
when new, but quickly acquire a significant warm-up time as they age,
hence my suggested 50 hours of use criterion.

BTW, anyone know what the aging mechanism is?

Sylvia.

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1187175/So-watts-lumen-The-EUs-bright-idea-rename-light-bulbs.html

I was thinking half-life actually.

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to
my email address

Site Timeline