Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen - Page 2

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

Lol, guess that is like all your advice, not relevenat or helpful.

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

It's highly relevant.

Watts = electrical power in
Lumens = visible light out.

Lumens / watt = measure of lighting efficiency.

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious
adjustment to my email address

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

Lumens of light output are what matter. The power INPUT in watts is a
worthless measure aside from judging your electricity bill.

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious
adjustment to my email address

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen
Eeyore a E9%crit :
hello,
well, not only! You can have any output of lumens if you input enough20%
watts, with any light emitting device. What is a really interesting20%
measure of "merit" is the ratio of lm/W, i.e ouput/input
pom

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

And of course no-one is interested in that are they!

MrT.

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

They have nothing to do with how bright the light is.

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious
adjustment to my email address

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

I agree. The exact figure ought to be added to the A-G Energy efficiency
rating bar on the side of the carton.

Oh and bulb output should be measured at half life. That'll knock the CFLs a
bit.

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment
to my email address

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

Well, you have made the statement.  Back it up with exactly whuch natural
unit is a lumen and how do you build a circuit to measure them?

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

"terryc"

**  What a stupid and irrelevant thing to post.

   Anyone is wise avoid traps set by fuckwit trolls.

......    Phil

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

I think what everyone is saying is that we really could not give a
shit what a lumen is or how its measured other than if we buy a light
bulb with more lumens then our simple brains are going to register it
as being brighter. Quite unlike watts which are meaningless measure of
the optical output of a light.

I will leave the science of photometry up to the people who know what
they are talking about.

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

Of course, and Lumens are a meaningless measure of power consumption.
The point being they are simply measures of different parameters. And you
need to know *both* power input and light output if you want an idea of
efficiency, which is what people are now starting to worry about.

MrT.

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

They're not even that. All the watt rating is, is the electrical power INPUT.
It tells you NOTHING about the light output any more than gallons would tell
you how far your car would travel without an mpg figure.

Graham

due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment
to my email address

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photometer

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment
to my email address

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1187175/So-watts-lumen-The-EUs-bright-idea-rename-light-bulbs.html

By law AIUI, watts must still be stated.

This means consumers can see see the TRUE efficiency of lightbulbs.

I'm well aware of the Daily Mail article which started off last week claiming we
had to use 'European lumens'
not realising that it's the international measure of light intensity. I made a
highly critical comment on the
initial article and the original article was withdrawn.

The replacement still stinks of 'little Britain' and I will give it a clout
again.

The funny thing is that most bulbs already have both watts and lumens printed on
them ALREADY which
illustrates that CFLs aren't the panacea they're made out to be.

Look out for new high-efficiency halogen bulbs from Philips and GE in the next
few years btw and LEDs are
getting better too. See OSRAM's TOPLED - plus for example.

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to
my email address

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

Surely BOTH are important measures of completely different properties.

MrT.

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen
Both measurements are handy so you can compare efficiency with other brands

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

Correct.

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious
adjustment to my email address

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1187175/So-watts-lumen-The-EUs-bright-idea-rename-light-bulbs.html

I want to see both Watts and lumens on the label as I want to know the light
and the costs.

petrus bitbyter

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1187175/So-watts-lumen-The-EUs-bright-idea-rename-light-bulbs.html

Strangely enough they both are already on the ones I have if you care to look.

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to
my email address

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

Lol, bet you are a cheap bastard and won't shell up the return air fare.

Site Timeline