Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

Lumens are the measure of light intensity and clearly the correct unit. You will find it quoted on most bulbs sold in the UK if you look.

Selling them by power consumption regardless of efficiency is plain bonkers.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

How are you going to build a device to measure efficiency ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

That would break consumer law. The figures I've seen seem consistent. I have a

150W frosted GLS bulb right here rated at 2140 lumens.

A 20W CFL that 'claims' to be equivalent to a 100W GLS offers only 850 lumens ( 40% of my 150W GLS ) ! Seems to me this could backfire on the adoption of CFLs.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

Because it's the correct unit to use and will blow to pieces certain untruthful claims made about the true output of CFLs.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

Correct.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

Strangely enough they both are already on the ones I have if you care to look.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

They're not even that. All the watt rating is, is the electrical power INPUT. It tells you NOTHING about the light output any more than gallons would tell you how far your car would travel without an mpg figure.

Graham

due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

It always seemed to me that their equivalence claims stretched the boundaries of truth. I'm using 20W CFLs where I'd certainly have found

100W incandescents to be too bright (and couldn't be used anyway, because they'd exceed the shade's thermal capacity).

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Lol, guess that is like all your advice, not relevenat or helpful.

Reply to
terryc

Reply to
terryc

Lol, bet you are a cheap bastard and won't shell up the return air fare.

Reply to
terryc

What? You think it wouldn't?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

They could usefully require that the light output when cold after, say,

50 hours of total use, also be quoted.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

or after 5 seconds. Many of the types I've encountered wouldn't make 50% of their "ten minute output" at that time.

Reply to
rebel

Wrong phrasing; what makes you think they wouldn't?

Reply to
terryc

You have a bad ear wax problem there mate. Try some metho in the ear.

Reply to
terryc

You mean when they're new? My experience is that they're reasonably OK when new, but quickly acquire a significant warm-up time as they age, hence my suggested 50 hours of use criterion.

BTW, anyone know what the aging mechanism is?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Threat of prosecution?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I'm right, you're wrong.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

Sale of Goods Act in the UK. Or deception.