Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

Seems the europeans have finally had the bright idea of using lumens instead of watts for the classification of light bulbs.

The Real Andy

So we go from something we can measure to something we can not with all the credibility of a Standard and Poors credit rating. Brilliant, just brilliant.

Reply to
terryc

Although in the context of light bulbs, the quantity you could measure wasn't terribly useful. At least lumens is a measure of how bright the bulb will appear to be.

Anyway, it's not impossible to measure lumens.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

By law AIUI, watts must still be stated.

This means consumers can see see the TRUE efficiency of lightbulbs.

I'm well aware of the Daily Mail article which started off last week claiming we had to use 'European lumens' not realising that it's the international measure of light intensity. I made a highly critical comment on the initial article and the original article was withdrawn.

The replacement still stinks of 'little Britain' and I will give it a clout again.

The funny thing is that most bulbs already have both watts and lumens printed on them ALREADY which illustrates that CFLs aren't the panacea they're made out to be.

Look out for new high-efficiency halogen bulbs from Philips and GE in the next few years btw and LEDs are getting better too. See OSRAM's TOPLED - plus for example.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

Lumens of light output are what matter. The power INPUT in watts is a worthless measure aside from judging your electricity bill.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

Surely BOTH are important measures of completely different properties.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Both measurements are handy so you can compare efficiency with other brands

Reply to
F Murtz

"The Real Andy" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I want to see both Watts and lumens on the label as I want to know the light and the costs.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Eeyore a =E9crit :

hello, well, not only! You can have any output of lumens if you input enough=20 watts, with any light emitting device. What is a really interesting=20 measure of "merit" is the ratio of lm/W, i.e ouput/input pom

Reply to
pfree

Explain exactly which natural unit they are and how you measure them?

< Anyone stupid enough to bet that Sylvia will not, once again, side step the question?>.
Reply to
terryc

Well, you have made the statement. Back it up with exactly whuch natural unit is a lumen and how do you build a circuit to measure them?

Reply to
terryc

Eeyore a écrit :

And of course no-one is interested in that are they!

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

"terryc" Sylvia Else

** What a stupid and irrelevant thing to post.

Could easily be taken to be a troll.

** Anyone is wise avoid traps set by f****it trolls.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** What a stupid and irrelevant thing to post.

Anyone is wise avoid traps set by f****it trolls.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

no it isn't. I can build a device to measure amps and to measure volts. what I want to know is exactly what is a lumen and how to build a device to measure them?

Okay, so you do not know either.

Reply to
terryc

** Bollocks - it is totally ASININE.

** The makers of the lamps do all lumen measurements for you !!!

You trolling FUCKHEAD

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

re

he

=20

ce=20

Well, I would suggest to lok up "photometric units" somewhere. Measuring =

everything in MKSA is not more "natural", whatever you mean by this... pom

Reply to
pfree

Right!, and they wouldn't be inclined to fudge the figures now would they?

Obviously you admit defeat.

Reply to
terryc

I think what everyone is saying is that we really could not give a shit what a lumen is or how its measured other than if we buy a light bulb with more lumens then our simple brains are going to register it as being brighter. Quite unlike watts which are meaningless measure of the optical output of a light.

I will leave the science of photometry up to the people who know what they are talking about.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Of course, and Lumens are a meaningless measure of power consumption. The point being they are simply measures of different parameters. And you need to know *both* power input and light output if you want an idea of efficiency, which is what people are now starting to worry about.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T