Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

Seems the europeans have finally had the bright idea of using lumens
instead of watts for the classification of light bulbs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1187175/So-watts-lumen-The-EUs-bright-idea-rename-light-bulbs.html

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

So we go from something we can measure to something we can not with all
the credibility of a Standard and Poors credit rating. Brilliant, just
brilliant.

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

Although in the context of light bulbs, the quantity you could measure
wasn't terribly useful. At least lumens is a measure of how bright the
bulb will appear to be.

Anyway, it's not impossible to measure lumens.

Sylvia.

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

Explain exactly which natural unit they are and how you measure them?

< Anyone stupid enough to bet that Sylvia will not, once again, side step
the question?>.

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

"terryc"
 Sylvia Else

**   What a stupid and irrelevant thing to post.

       Could easily be taken to be a troll.

**  Anyone is wise avoid traps set by fuckwit trolls.

......    Phil

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

no it isn't. I can build a device to measure amps and to measure volts.
what I want to know is  exactly what is a lumen and how to build a device
to measure them?

Okay, so you do not know either.

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

"terryc"

**  Bollocks   -   it is totally  ASININE.

** The makers of the lamps do all lumen measurements for you  !!!

    You trolling   FUCKHEAD

....  Phil

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen
terryc a C3%A9crit :
Well, I would suggest to lok up "photometric units" somewhere. Measuring =

everything in MKSA is not more "natural", whatever you mean by this...
pom

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

Right!, and they wouldn't be inclined to fudge the figures now would they?

Obviously you admit defeat.

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

That would break consumer law. The figures I've seen seem consistent. I have a
150W frosted GLS bulb right here rated at 2140 lumens.

A 20W CFL that 'claims' to be equivalent to a 100W GLS offers only 850 lumens
( 40% of my 150W GLS ) ! Seems to me this could backfire on the adoption of
CFLs.

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment
to my email address

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

It always seemed to me that their equivalence claims stretched the
boundaries of truth. I'm using 20W CFLs where I'd certainly have found
100W incandescents to be too bright (and couldn't be used anyway,
because they'd exceed the shade's thermal capacity).

Sylvia.

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

<shakes head>

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

What? You think it wouldn't?

Sylvia.

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

Wrong phrasing; what makes you think they wouldn't?

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

Threat of prosecution?

Sylvia.

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

Sale of Goods Act in the UK. Or deception.

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious
adjustment to my email address

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

You have  a bad ear wax problem there mate.
Try some metho in the ear.

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

I'm right, you're wrong.

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious
adjustment to my email address

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

How are you going to build a device to measure efficiency ?

Graham

Re: Europeans drop watt in favour of lumen

Lumens are the measure of light intensity and clearly the correct unit. You
will find it quoted on most bulbs sold in the UK if you look.

Selling them by power consumption regardless of efficiency is plain bonkers.

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment
to my email address

Site Timeline