etag transponders

are etags "active" if so the batteries must be good to last so long in
that environment and temperatures on glass inside windscreens.
if they are passive where do they get the beep

Re: etag transponders

Dunno about other etags, but the wife's etag has a Saft 3.6V lithium battery.

Re: etag transponders

    The data sheet for the ones supplied by the NSW RTA is at
http://www.q-free.com/images/stories/Files/Products/Factsheets/MD5888.pdf

Re: etag transponders
thanks

Re: etag transponders

from the pic supplied from bobs link, those batteries (in RAM backup
applications) I have found
will last 20 years (measured full terminal voltage when replaced).
Depending on the transmission
power, and how often, as well as the sounder and how often its
activated, a long life is quite viable.

I didnt think any battery would cope well with the temperatures
involved, especially when placed at the highest (hottest) point in the
car (upper windscreen)

Re: etag transponders

They most likely use the 120degC rated Lithium-thionyl chloride cells.
http://www.saftbatteries.com/Technologies_Lithium_LiSOCl2_303/Default.aspx

I've used (and thermal cycled) them in operating apps from 0degC to
80+degC (ironically in two of the listed apps - sonarbuoys and oil
exploration), they are remarkably durable.

Dave.

Re: etag transponders
I got one of the RTA tags when they first came out. The battery died after
about five years, the RTA then replaces it for free. When you ring them,
they can look up on their system to see ;your signal strength from when you
have been travelling through their tolls.

in
battery.

Re: etag transponders

The tolling companies replace the etags when the batteries go flat.

MrT.

Site Timeline