etag transponders

are etags "active" if so the batteries must be good to last so long in that environment and temperatures on glass inside windscreens. if they are passive where do they get the beep

Reply to
F Murtz

Dunno about other etags, but the wife's etag has a Saft 3.6V lithium battery.

Reply to
dmm

The data sheet for the ones supplied by the NSW RTA is at

Bob Parker

thanks

Reply to
F Murtz

The tolling companies replace the etags when the batteries go flat.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

ery.

from the pic supplied from bobs link, those batteries (in RAM backup applications) I have found will last 20 years (measured full terminal voltage when replaced). Depending on the transmission power, and how often, as well as the sounder and how often its activated, a long life is quite viable.

I didnt think any battery would cope well with the temperatures involved, especially when placed at the highest (hottest) point in the car (upper windscreen)

Reply to
kreed

They most likely use the 120degC rated Lithium-thionyl chloride cells.

I've used (and thermal cycled) them in operating apps from 0degC to

80+degC (ironically in two of the listed apps - sonarbuoys and oil exploration), they are remarkably durable.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

in