erasing faulty hard drive

We have a WD 2TB green hard drive that has failed, it will not even be
recognised when connected to the pc.  It will have to go back under
warranty, but is there any way of wiping the data from it first ?  IE
degaussing wand, large magnet etc ?

Re: erasing faulty hard drive

I guess 4 or 5 turns of heavy cable wrapped around it and then connect
to a welder should corrupt a few areas :-)

Rheilly P

Re: erasing faulty hard drive

**None of that is likely to do all that much. HDs are pretty well
shielded and quite a bit of energy is required to alter the magnetic
domains from a large distance (2cm).

I know this from some experiments I did some time ago. Out of curiousity.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: erasing faulty hard drive

No idea if it will work but about 20 seconds in the microwave might do the
job.
Just keep an eye open for any arching or melting as I imagine this would
not be a good look when returning the HD.

I would not want to give my data to anyone.

--
:-P

Re: erasing faulty hard drive

**That, of course, would not only be insane, but ineffective.

**The damage will likely occur inside the magnetron.

**Fair enough. Don't use clound computing.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: erasing faulty hard drive

being metal, I doubt that any of the microwave radiation would make it
to the platters.

Re: erasing faulty hard drive

Useless and invalidate any warranty claim (if any damage detectable)

Re: erasing faulty hard drive

"kreed"

** Doing any such thing will likely void the warranty.

Brute force, bulk erasure usually renders a hard drive unusable cos it
remove files put there by the manufacturer.

OTOH  - I suspect you have a $129 external drive as sold by Officeworks and
others -  so the chances are no-body will even look at it to see if it is
really faulty.

...   Phil

Re: erasing faulty hard drive

It was a bare drive we bought, but I have bought officeworks ones, and
some of them are identical.  Some of the Officeworks ones have a
caviar black drive in them actually.

You are probably right, no one is likely to bother scanning through
2tb of data, especially when they must get hundreds of them through
their service centre every week.

Re: erasing faulty hard drive

"kreed"
 "Phil Allison"

It was a bare drive we bought, but I have bought officeworks ones, and
some of them are identical.  Some of the Officeworks ones have a
caviar black drive in them actually.

You are probably right, no one is likely to bother scanning through
2tb of data, especially when they must get hundreds of them through
their service centre every week.

** HDs are non repairable and at $129 retail it becomes uneconomic to send
to a tech test out.

   The transport and handling costs alone would do that.

...  Phil

Re: erasing faulty hard drive

what files?

Re: erasing faulty hard drive
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 00:33:42 -0800 (PST), kreed

Have you determined that you won't actually invalidate your warranty
claim by that action?

Re: erasing faulty hard drive

Dick Smith $99

How much is privacy worth?

Re: erasing faulty hard drive

Seems as though it is working again, but only when laid upside down,
and only when plugged directly to the SATA connector on a PC
motherboard.  Will not work in a USB case, but identical ones
(WD20EARS) will.  Strange

Am erasing data now while it keeps working before returning it.
Fortunately was nowhere near full.

Re: erasing faulty hard drive
Check out sdelete utility (part of SysInternals suite), you probably want run it
once you delete your files.
Tom

Re: erasing faulty hard drive

Nothing that won't void the warranty.
is secrecy worth the price of the drive?

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Site Timeline