Eprom programmer ?

From time to time I have the need to program some of the old 27512 and 27256
eproms. I've been using an old Sunshine programmer on a very old 386 puter
that has finally died.
I note Futurelec have a programmer that works on Win98.
Does anyone know where I can buy a reasonably priced one that will work with
the XP operating system ?

Cheers
Jim

Re: Eprom programmer ?

The one I use and recommend is the one from Andromeda research :
http://www.arlabs.com /

regards
Richard Freeman

Re: Eprom programmer ?

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:49:05 +1000, "Jim" <jimshire1_no

Try this place

http://www.kitsparts.com /

then click on "MCU, Programmer", then "universal programmer"

I got the WP38a about 3 months back, runs on USB, which means it will
work on almost any modern computer for a long time to come.  (where
many of the older parallel ports may have problems in the future if
and when parallel and serial ports disappear from computers
(especially laptops)

works great, have used it with some large PICS, and many eproms from
2732 up to 27010 varieties with no problems.   Also have used with
some Dallas Rams too.

Also not listed in the specs, it has an inbuilt frequency generator -
and an 8 channel logic analyzer buit in (you connect some of the pins
from the zif socket to the circuit you want to monitor, using short
lengths of hook up wire)

Even though they ship from Hong Kong, it only took about a week from
payment to receive it in the mail. (Australia)

Re: Eprom programmer ?

Hi ... funny to see a mention of JED on this group.

Yes we are in Boronia. Have been since we started JED part-time in 1977
at home, and then in leased premises in 1985 and our own since 1997 in
Boronia Rd.

The PROM programmer only handles 12 to 13 volt PROMs (you have not been
able to buy 21v ons since 1992!) see:
http://www.jedmicro.com.au/PROM.htm

You may have seen the AVR CPU board we ran for hobbyists in Si Chip
recently as a kit. See: http://www.jedmicro.com.au/avr200.htm

Cheers
Ed Schoell

Re: Eprom programmer ?

The one I have runs off the serial port which I think is more likely to be
compatible in the future because it doesn't rely on any drivers or software
in the computer except for a terminal program. I can't see the serial port
disappearing for a *long* time even if it needs to be added as pci card or a
usb device. On the other hand a USB programmer's drivers and software might
stop functioning on windows 2009.

Michael

Re: Eprom programmer ?

Ed Shoell out at JED Microcomputers (www.jedmicro.com.au) in beautiful
downton Bayswater sells his own Aussie made parallel port device, that is
easy to use and works with XP (with an additional program).  Comes bundled
with some useful utilities.  I've bought a few of these over the years for
various employers/clients.

Cheers,
Alf

Re: Eprom programmer ?

I got this one working on a few Win2k/XPPro computers using UserPort
driver without extra software. As for the unit we had one for years and
cannot break it.

Tom

Re: Eprom programmer ?

Boronia, last time I looked :-)

Peter

Re: Eprom programmer ?

Oops, you're right, Alf.

Re: Eprom programmer ?

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 08:32:25 -0700, "Alf Katz"

They only do 12V Vpp chips IIRC.  Sometimes one needs to do 21V/25V chips too.

Re: Eprom programmer ?

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:49:05 +1000, "Jim" <jimshire1_no
snipped-for-privacy@iprimus.com.au> put finger to keyboard and composed:

If you have an Expro programmer, and if you are interested in
repairing it, then circuits are available on the Net. There is also a
diagnostic "Testpro" program.

Or is it the 386 PC that has died?

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Eprom programmer ?

(snip)

Can you post a URL for those please Franc?

Re: Eprom programmer ?

to keyboard and composed:

http://matthieu.benoit.free.fr/120.htm

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Eprom programmer ?

Good guess Frank, it was the 386, but guess what I found under 30 years of
accumulated boards etc in the shed ?
Many thanks for all responses.
Cheers
Jim

Re: Eprom programmer ?

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:33:58 +1000, "Jim" <jimshire1_no
snipped-for-privacy@iprimus.com.au> put finger to keyboard and composed:

I have an Expro-60 that I'm keeping alive with an old 486, so I
understand your problem.

- Franc Zabkar