EnergyStar plugpacks

Except there's a current limit on USB? My phone (Sony K750i) says "charging" when connected via USB, and "optimised charging" when connected to a mains or car charger, although the mains charger is rated to put out 450mA and I thought USB allowed 500mA, so that might not be the case.

Reply to
Poxy

ASD = Allison, Sorry Dipshit.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No better? It's heaps better! How else can Telstra piggyback value-add data services on top of their network? It would be a really useful advantage to be able to replace a perfectly good CDMA system with a new network that allows more money to be made. It also results in a fast data network that can reach areas that other providers can't afford to match. The bonus is that the government subsidize it and Telstra get an uncompetitive advantage.

It is surprising how many customers will sign with Telstra just because of the coverage that they can offer.

Oh, you meant it is no better for you... well that may be the case :)

'not as good for simple voice communication'? There's too much competition there already, so it was sold to the government as being the only way to deliver broadband internet to remote users. It also just happens to be a great platform for offering other services.

Reply to
dale-google

You should read what me and others have been writing. I'm on the terribly old-fashioned (Vodafone) GSM network and I don't have first-hand experience with 3G. I'm referring to basic coverage for voice services in the bush. Many people have told me that the 3G network has inferior coverage in the bush to CDMA and silly me has taken them seriously. Thanks for telling us that there isn't a problem after all.

Maybe it does have great bandwidth for providing all the things you personally want in your phone. I'm talking about basic voice coverage.

Reply to
Bob Parker

This online book is quite interesting - it tries to put things like your charger into perspective.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

That site

is almost laughable. He used a power meter without the required resolution. I used a better meter and obtained the figures I posted.

But he does have a valid point that phone chargers use a very very small percentage of people's total power, and I was not implying anything to the contrary. It's just a NICE thing to have a charge take

0.1W instead of 0.5W, don't you think?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Yes it's nice, in a small way.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

I put new NiMH cells in the battery pack of my phone (shows how old it is that it used NiMH). Even buying the cells from Farnell, it worked out 3 times cheaper than the list price for the replacement battery pack, that was no longer manufactured so I couldn't have bought it if I wanted to. Now the whole company that made the phone (Siemens mobile) is out of business so I had to replace the cells again about three years after the first set. The only disadvantage with the re-celled battery pack is that I guess the security people might get a bit funny about it if I tried to take it on a plane.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

That amounts to using about 1 kW-hr per year, instead of 4 or 5 on your old plugpack. You're only saving maybe 50 cents US a year.

The real benefit is to Nokia, who gets to market their plugpacks as being Energy Star compliant.

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

He is, but most people probably have upwards of a dozen wall-warts like this in their homes, plugged in full time... and many of them probably aren't as efficient as the O.P.'s original power supply was: It's not uncommon for some higher-power (tens of watts) power supply to draw ten or more watts at idle, in years past.

I don't think the average consumer is particularly aware of the whole Energy Star compaign, actually. :-)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

I'm at least vaguely enough aware of it that I know I have never bought anything that was a product that was beneficiary

although i am buying a newly outfitted condo that i bet will have many such energy savers

i can't say I know yet whether they are or not

because i had no choice in the selection

Hope you enjoy the humor in this story

mk5000

'A mourning figure walks, and will not rest, Near the old court-house pacing up and down, Or by his homestead, or in shadowed yards He lingers where his children used to play"--abraham lincoln walks, vachel lindsay

Reply to
marika

Sorry, I re-read what I wrote and can understand why it wasn't interpreted as sarcasm. It was meant to be. My point of view is that the CDMA system had great coverage and the only reason it is being replaced is so that Telstra can make money from other services. By replacing the CDMA system they give themselves the opportunity to sell other data services, and effectively do this under the guise of helping people in remote areas.

I had two CDMA phones myself because I preferred the coverage. My own experiences tell me that there was nothing wrong with the network.

By replacing that network with a new one with the ability to offer high speed data access, Telstra can gain a market advantage.

It is a very powerful advantage for a Telco to have data access in almost all parts of the country. I don't know if they provide equivalent access to competitors for this same network, but I expect that even if they did it would be at a premium.

Yeah I know. I am one of those people that want just basic voice coverage. Unfortunately we aren't the best source of income for Telcos as there is a lot of competition. Data services are the next opportunity to bring in higher income than what voice calls can generate.

Dale.

Reply to
dale-google

No worries! It's a relief that you understand my point of view because we're in agreement. :)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker