Energizer USB Duo battery charger hides a Trojan

Energizer USB Duo battery charger hides a Trojan
March 9, 2010 by Lin Edwards

(PhysOrg.com) -- The Energizer Duo USB battery charger has been hiding a
backdoor Trojan in its software that affects computers using Windows.
According to Symantec the Trojan has probably been there since 10th May
2007.

Energizer has now taken the software for the model CHUSB charger off the
market and removed the site from which it could be downloaded, and the
company is asking customers who downloaded the Windows version to
uninstall it. There are easy steps to fight the Trojan in affected
machines, and Macintosh users are not affected.

http://www.physorg.com/news187335556.html

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Energizer USB Duo battery charger hides a Trojan

And *none* of the users who own this device have *ever* run
a virus scanner??

Re: Energizer USB Duo battery charger hides a Trojan

Makes you wonder, if Symantec said the Trojan has probably been there
since 10th May 2007, then why one of those customers that run virus
scanners, didn't report it to Energizer when they found it.

And if they did, why something wasn't done about it in 2007.

I saw them on the shelf recently and thought, I must get one of those.
Much better than carrying an ac charger around with my netbook gear.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Energizer USB Duo battery charger hides a Trojan

Energizer hasn't said it but I'm reasonably sure we can thank China.

Re: Energizer USB Duo battery charger hides a Trojan

Yeah.  I was just thinking the other day:  what can I do in addition
to what I'm doing now to burn out those 500ma usb ports.  Maybe I can
look around for a USB toaster oven.  Until I find one of those, the
energizer battery charger is perfect!

Re: Energizer USB Duo battery charger hides a Trojan

*Surely* this trojan didn't actually do anything. If it started calling out
on port 7777 someone would have noticed.

Re: Energizer USB Duo battery charger hides a Trojan

How do you know it calls *out* and doesn't just open 7777 and
*wait* for an incoming connection?

Regardless, a virus scan would/should have noticed the payload.

Re: Energizer USB Duo battery charger hides a Trojan

Possibly but considering even basic home routers have nat these days it
wouldn't be very effective. So pretty much it would do nothing.

Why? Unless it is a know virus it's unlikely to get picked up.

Re: Energizer USB Duo battery charger hides a Trojan

In two years it remained hidden?
No one ever ran TCPview?

Re: Energizer USB Duo battery charger hides a Trojan

No, but I ran Topview once...

Re: Energizer USB Duo battery charger hides a Trojan

Jeeze you're old :)

Most people did only run it once.

Re: Energizer USB Duo battery charger hides a Trojan

A virus scanner only detects the viruses that match a known signature, or
which do something that it knows about. If the malware is stealthy enough
it won't be detected.

Site Timeline