Energiser 'Energi To Go' phone charger - what's inside?

Has anyone taken one of these apart?

Is it anything more than just a plastic battery holder and connector cable? If so, $20 for a battery holder seems expensive?

Mike

Reply to
Mike B

yes it is $20USD for a battery case and standard batteries:

I have to be in the wrong game. :-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

http://www.dontronics-shop.com/super4-usb-relay-module.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

It tells you: "Patented intelligent control chip that maximizes power transfer from the charger to the cell phone" Otherwise known as a boost DC-DC converter that converts the 3V from the batteries to the voltage required for the phone charger system (the phone handles it's own charging, this device just supplies the voltage and enough current). IIRC Motorola phones need 9V.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

I have a gizmo like that that came free with my Nokia phone. It takes an AA cell, & it's actually a switched-mode boost converter: 1.5V to 5V.

OTOH, the one you're talking about takes two (3V?) lithium cells, so maybe it /is/ just a battery holder with a switch in it.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

No, it uses two standard Lithium AA's which are 1.5V, so it needs to have a boost converter in it to get the 5V or whatever is required. The blurb even tells you it has a "Patented intelligent control chip"

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Well, the one I have works off a 1.5V or 1.2V cell.

Oh yeah, so you KNOW it's good, eh? ;^)

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Not surprising given that a 1.5V cell's end point is 0.8V. A single cell boost converter will typically have an input range down to at least 1V, a good one will go down to and start up at 0.8V, so you can extract the most juice from the battery.

Yup, typical marketing speak for a DC-DC boost converter.

Dave.

--------------------------------------------- Check out my Electronics Engineering Video Blog & Podcast:

Reply to
David L. Jones