Enclosure for computer (ATX) power supply

I'm getting back into electronics after 35 years. Had this GREAT idea for a
cheap power supply for my breadboard projects - buy a cheap computer power
supply which provides +/- 5 & +/- 12V, put it in a box, and voila! a simple
cheap lab supply. Easy - right?

No - try as I might I cannot find a simple aluminium box with internal
dimensions at least 150x85x180 for under $100. Ideally I'd like one of those
tarnsformer enclosures that come with a handle, but where does one get a
largish aluminium box these days? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

(Can anybody suggest a better newsgroup for this question? There seems to be
a lot of off topic, and childish, stuff here)

Re: Enclosure for computer (ATX) power supply

Before you go to any trouble it would be worth checking the exact specs of
these things including low load behaviour and high frequency noise. They're
designed specifically for digital service, with a defined load range. For
low signal analog work, for example, you might find the rails are devilishly
noisy, and that sort of noise can be hard to filter.

Hope that's on-topic and grown-up enough for you. Cheers

Re: Enclosure for computer (ATX) power supply

What the hell are you guys talking about electronics on this NG !!!
It's people like you that clog up normal dialog on politics and commerce
that the group was designed for.
Why not bug out to a more appropriate NG ??

--
Cheers ............. Rheilly P

Re: Enclosure for computer (ATX) power supply

Yeah, this group is at least as noisy as a PC power supply. :)

petrus bitbyter

Re: Enclosure for computer (ATX) power supply

A mini-tower PC should do the job nicely, & will cost bugger all.

  . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because
Re: Enclosure for computer (ATX) power supply

And while you're at it you could put a mother-board and hard drive in
and you'll have a free computer along with your power supply.

Re: Enclosure for computer (ATX) power supply

Don't laugh.  My desktop machine has the +12V taken out through the
rear panel to a flying lead.  Comes in *very_handy* (tm) when
programming two-way radios.

Re: Enclosure for computer (ATX) power supply

A bit of skip raiding got me a pile of fibre-optic network repeaters, each
one contained a PSU module with separate switchers for the 5 & 12V outputs,
so either rail can be used on its own without loading the other.

Re: Enclosure for computer (ATX) power supply

I've done the same thing when I've needed 5V or 12V for some device or
other. The easy way is to run an HD extension power cable out an unused
expansion slot.

  . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because
Re: Enclosure for computer (ATX) power supply

Indeed. ;^)

  . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because
Re: Enclosure for computer (ATX) power supply

If you're just after a computer switchmode power supply, can't this be
obtained from any computer left out on the street for council pickup?

Nick.

Site Timeline