Enamelled Aluminium Wire

Never seen it before. Found the secondary of an old microwave oven
transformer was wound with it. The primary was enamelled copper however.
I wonder why they used Al.?

Alan

Re: Enamelled Aluminium Wire

Correction - it was the primary, not the secondary, that was Al.
Secondary was Cu.
Alan

Re: Enamelled Aluminium Wire
Price?

Re: Enamelled Aluminium Wire

Could be, although they used Cu for the secondary. I wonder if it's
easier to enamel Al as opposed to Cu.

Re: Enamelled Aluminium Wire

"Alan Peake"

**  Post your conclusive proof.

 Premature chicken counters are not welcome here.

....  Phil

Re: Enamelled Aluminium Wire

"Tom"

** No  -  he is not Alan Price.

 No Rising Suns in sight  ....

....  Phil

Re: Enamelled Aluminium Wire

:Never seen it before. Found the secondary of an old microwave oven
:transformer was wound with it. The primary was enamelled copper however.
:I wonder why they used Al.?
:
:Alan

Aluminium is cheaper than copper is my guess.

Some years back I did a modification job on the transformers in some Italian
made battery chargers, made for fork lifts, and the transformer secondary
windings were insulated (formvar?) aluminium wire.

Re: Enamelled Aluminium Wire

"Alan Peake"

**  Or now.

**  They don't.