Emona Rigol Digital Scopes

HI All,

Does any one use the Rigol Digital Scopes sold by Emona.

What is their performance like.

http://www.emona.com.au/Bargains/Bargains0001.htm

Comments most welcome.

Joe

Re: Emona Rigol Digital Scopes

I bought a tektronix digital scope >200Mhz (I recollect) two chanel colour
screen for about the price of the rigol - this was a couple of years ago so
have you checked the price of a new Tektronix?

I havnt heard of the rigel - are they selling cheap because they are no
longer to be sold in Aus or something like this which may mean support in
the future will dissapear?  be careful but they might turn out to be a goob
buy.

Malcolm

Re: Emona Rigol Digital Scopes

I've used one and the Rigol is an excellent unit for the money, better
than the low end Tek IMHO.
The Agilent 3000 series is a re-badged Rigol, so you are effectively
buying an Agilent if you want to look at it that way. The Rigol would
therefore benefit from Agilent testing and other technical input etc.

There has been some discussion about Rigol's recently on
sci.electronics.design

"Performance" is the same as any other low end digital scope. i.e.
relatively limited sample memory, limited responsiveness, and limited
screen resolution compared to a "high end" digital scope like say an
Agilent 6000 series. But perfectly usable for most general apps. You
get what you pay for.

I would not hesitate in buying one with my own money if I was looking
to buy in that market.

Dave :)

Re: Emona Rigol Digital Scopes

Thanks for your input guys.

Joe

Re: Emona Rigol Digital Scopes

Hi,
you might want to consider one of these on ebay. Basically the same price
for a 100MHz unit but 10gs/s effective.

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item33%0099673168

Greg

Re: Emona Rigol Digital Scopes

On May 17, 5:27 pm, "gcd"

It is only 100MS/s, that gives it an effective single shot bandwidth
of only 10MHz.
"Effective" sampling scopes are ineffective dinosaurs, all but useless
for many general apps, you are better off sticking with an analog
scope.

It's cheap for many reasons, you get what you pay for.

Dave.

Re: Emona Rigol Digital Scopes

the ebay one states its single shot bw is 20MHz. Eventually found the rigol
specs.http://www.rigolna.com /
Their data sheet indicates the sampling is a true 1gs/s for the MA or CA
suffix and 250MHz for the C and M suffix, all with effective 50gs/s. So
despite the fact they look the same, the rigol is different. I posted that
link believing the 1gs/s was effective not real, my mistake.

Not sure I want to get into the analogue vs digital discussion. But I will
say that even on analogues you need to read the fine print, ie bandwdith vs
vertical scale for example.

Greg

Re: Emona Rigol Digital Scopes

On May 18, 6:25 pm, "gcd"

They can state 50MHz if they like and would not be incorrect.
At 100MS/s you will only get 5 samples of a 20MHz signal, not enough
to tell you if it's a triangle wave or sine wave.
The rule of thumb is 10 samples minimum.

Ever since the original Tek TDS-210 came out with 1GS/s, every low end
scope is now "real time" and does not use repetitive or "effective"
sampling techniques.
These cheap Chinese ones are a step back to non real-time sampling as
they have found a new price-point to sell a DSO at. I'd call it the
"sub low-end" category. But if you can only afford $300 instead of
$800 or whatever, then it's better than no digital scope at all.

I'm actually quite curious to see what you get for a your couple of
hundred bucks!

Dave.

Re: Emona Rigol Digital Scopes

"David Lunatic Jones"

**  So David Fuckwit Jones has no clue what the definition of "bandwidth" is
!!!!

The insufferably  SMUG  & totally  AUTISTIC ASS  has no clue about any
bloody thing.

FYI  -  an analogue CRO will not reveal anything about a waveform at or near
its upper frequency limit  -  other than amplitude (with compensation for
the known roll off to be applied if that is critical).  To see a half
reasonable 10 MHz square wave on the screen requires a  **100MHz **
bandwidth CRO.

The digital scope in question is stated to have a 100MHz bandwidth   =   the
bandwidth of the  **analogue**  input stage !!!

It samples at up to 100MHz in single shot mode  -   so can reveal the
amplitude of a frequency below 50 MHz.

With a continuous signal,  in oversampling mode, it operates at up to an
effective rate of 10 GS/s  =   200 samples of a 50 MHz wave.

But the analogue bandwidth is still only 100MHz.

Detail in the viewed wave is still limited mostly by that.

.......   Phil

Re: Emona Rigol Digital Scopes

I most certainly do Phil, check out any one of my dozens of other
posts on the subject over the years.

Where did I say it wasn't?

"Single shot bandwidth" is a common term used in reference to Digital
scopes, it has nothing really to do with the analog bandwidth (unless
the analog bandwidth is the limiting factor) . The scope in question
can claim to have anything up to a 50MHz "single shot bandwidth" as I
said. Of course it would be useless at that, and is almost as useless
at the claimed 20MHz. That is why the industry rule of thumb is 1/10th
the sample rate, 10MHz in the case of the scope in question.

Only if it samples in the right place Phil.
At 100MS/s you only get *2* samples per cycle displayed, and those
samples won't necessarily won't be at the peak values. Ever tried to
measure a 50MHz signal with a 100MS/s scope in single shot mode Phil?

Entirely different to single shot mode which was what I was talking
about.

I never said it wasn't.

Get with the program Phil.

Dave.