EMC testing, C Tick, CISPR22 radiated emissions - Page 2

Re: EMC testing, C Tick, CISPR22 radiated emissions

I knew the 5 essential elements the auditors look for and included
these. Later, I was told that the ACA did an EMC audit on this comapny
and they found no issues.

And the 5 essential elements are???    : )

Re: EMC testing, C Tick, CISPR22 radiated emissions

1.     The product name is the same in the test report, documentation and
DOC.
2.     The Australian standard referenced on the DOC.
3.     There is a clear statement of the conclusion of a pass in the
report.
4.     Graphs of spectrum plots.
5.     A photo of the product with its covers off.

Of course you should also check the completeness of the technical info
and other details but the above list is what they like to see. You'll
notice that photos are not required by law, but if they ask for them,
I say thats a good enough reason to supply.

Re: EMC testing, C Tick, CISPR22 radiated emissions

1. The product name is the same in the test report, documentation and
DOC.
2. The Australian standard referenced on the DOC.
3. There is a clear statement of the conclusion of a pass in the
report.
4. Graphs of spectrum plots.
5.     A photo of the product with its covers off.

Of course you should also check the completeness of the technical info
and other details but the above list is what they like to see. You'll
notice that photos are not required by law, but if they ask for them,
I say thats a good enough reason to supply.

Cheers. The inspectors here on the west coast seem pretty reasonable (with
one exception!)
The main test house http://www.qdl.com.au/ is pretty good to work with.
Roman who owns the business runs it hands on and is very helpful in getting
your stuff passed. He won't cut corners in the testing but he doesn't screw
you over either. Hourly rate used to be $200 or $250 / hour for DIY
documentation.

Re: EMC testing, C Tick, CISPR22 radiated emissions

Any anecdotes you'd like to share? No names needed.:-)

Re: EMC testing, C Tick, CISPR22 radiated emissions

Any anecdotes you'd like to share? No names needed.:-)

Let's just say that it doesn't help having your know-all boss tell the guy
how to do his job and how well we'd done ours when it was patently obvious
we hadn't and that was the reason he was there. Subsequent follow up audits
were ok. The guys while not letting anything nasty get through were happy
that we had made reasonable efforts to get gear tested & documented - there
were quite  a few products, all of them low risk.

%< %<

Re: EMC testing, C Tick, CISPR22 radiated emissions

Paperwork obviously.

Graham

Re: EMC testing, C Tick, CISPR22 radiated emissions

I've used one of these co's on three previous occasions, and while their
service was OK, they charged more per hour than a brain surgeon. Not
reasonable given they were using perhaps $250,000 max worth of equipment
and the technician who did the testing was (to be polite) minimally
qualified.

Do you know of any other companies in the game in AU to whom I could go
for a quote?

Re: EMC testing, C Tick, CISPR22 radiated emissions

Sorry, I don't know any cheaper ones. There are some consultants
around but I don't have any names any more. If you let us know the
type of equipment we may have more suggestions, if it is simple.

I have found with the test houses that I actually knew more sometimes
than they did about the detail of the standards, and in some cases the
tests themselves. (this was due to a lot of hard work myself, and I
only knew a couple of standards, whereas they have to cope with
dozens). If I was not there monitoring the tests, we would have
achieved a fail and a wasted day and $'s.

The benefits of high charges appear to go to the top guys, they do
very nicely but they pay peanuts to the test guys and admin staff.
Plenty of domestic air travel for conferences and the usual executive
trappings. The investment is pretty large though, and they also have a
huge calibration bill.

Re: EMC testing, C Tick, CISPR22 radiated emissions

Thanks for your comments and advice Geoff and Graham.

I've decided that in the short term we'll sell this product overseas
only so as to avoid our draconian regs and penalties.

Moonshadow

Re: EMC testing, C Tick, CISPR22 radiated emissions

The first 'official' EMC tests I had to conduct were on a marine radar at
the Admiralty Research Establishment Portsmouth.

Having learnt from my tame consultant previously, the first thing I had to
do was to explain to the tech HOW THE FUCK to use his measuring kit
PROPERLY. He hadn't a CLUE. In particular he was interested only in wideband
measurements, whereas for diagnosis you need NARROW BAND analysis.

Says it all really. Jobs for the boys. And take no shit from them. If they
can't provide a useful report, don't pay them and sue them for incompetence
in the courts.

Graham

Site Timeline