Electrons on video

** This is worth a look.

If you have never seen an electron in motion before ...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23336318 /

.....  Phil

Re: Electrons on video

I expected something so ground breaking to be a tad more exciting :-(
Not exactly up there with say the Hubble deep field photo.

Dave.

Re: Electrons on video

Werner Heisenberg must be stirring in his grave.......

It's not possible to see an electron without changing its velocity.....

Re: Electrons on video
Yeah, sort of conflicts with the uncertainty principle a bit.
 The things people will do to get you to watch an add
Sucks a few in .

Re: Electrons on video
fritz a crit :

Hello
I think it would be better to read the relating papers first in order to
know what they are talking about....
Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 073003 (2008) is a start.
Peter

Re: Electrons on video

I saw that reference, have you actually read it ?
Please post a weblink, or a summary of the paper.

In any case, all I did was state a fact, meaning that you cannot actually 'see'
an electron orbiting in the way the misleading heading implied.

Re: Electrons on video
fritz a crit :
Hello.
well, I read the abstract,enough to show me that the authors' goal was
NOT to image "an electron".
There are already many successful experiments manipulating single
electrons by observing evidence of their location. Sherlock Holmes would
have been delighted...

A Google-search with "mauritsson et al." will give you the references to
several papers on their experiments and conclusions.

It all has to do with interaction between electrons and electromagnetic
fields or, if suitable, photons.
The news about this experiment was written by journalists, they tend to
insist heavily on the more "scoopish" aspects in detriment to physical
aspects.
  I would credit the authors, doing a very refined and difficult
experiment, with some sense of what they are doing.

Re: Electrons on video

(snip)

Well there a many small particles that can be identified by evidence of
their locations.... neutrinos etc
That is an entirely different to "seeing"an actual particle.
The web reference is a complete fraud and you shouldn't give it credibility
for the sake of nitpicking

Re: Electrons on video

As an aside, I saw a cloud chamber in operation for the first time a
few weeks back at the Exploratorium in San Francisco. Very cool, and
very eerie being able to "see" cosmic radiation particles and their
path, many of them passing right through you. I always knew about
this, but "seeing it" for real makes you think WOW!

Dave.

Re: Electrons on video

   Do you think they can pass through Phil's thick skull?

prove it.