Electronics makers facing semiconductor shortages due to Japan quake

Electronics makers facing semiconductor shortages due to Japan quake

Electronics manufacturers are facing shortages and unprecedented price fluxes in
semiconductor supplies as Japan, which
accounts for around a fifth of the world's total semiconductor production,
suffered a destructive earthquake.

On Friday, the 8.9 magnitude earthquake, which had its epicenter around 231
miles northeast of Tokyo, caused widespread
wreckage just before 3p. m. local time.

As per analysts’ estimates, the quake will hit production and supplies of
semiconductor wafers that are used in the
production of microprocessors, PCs’ system memory DRAM, and NAND flash that is
used for storing content like video and
music in handheld devices.

Japan accounts for more than 40 per cent of the world's NAND and 15 per cent of
the world's DRAM production. According
to research firm IHS iSuppli, Japan accounted for 16.5 per cent of the world’s
total revenue from consumer electronics
equipment.

http://topnews.net.nz/content/212674-electronics-makers-facing-semiconductor-shortages-due-japan-quake

Cheers Don...

============================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Electronics makers facing semiconductor shortages due to Japan quake

And Coles are selling bananas for ten bux a kilo this morning :(

Grant.

Re: Electronics makers facing semiconductor shortages due to Japan quake

The same formula will be applied to semiconductor based products most
likely.

Re: Electronics makers facing semiconductor shortages due to Japan quake

:
:>Electronics makers facing semiconductor shortages due to Japan quake
:
:And Coles are selling bananas for ten bux a kilo this morning :(
:
:Grant.

That's cheap... In Perth, IGA Gwelup is selling loose bananas for $14.99/kg.
They are even selling the local Carnarvon lunchbox (small) bananas for $8.49/kg
which normally sell for around $2.99/kg.

Re: Electronics makers facing semiconductor shortages due to Japan quake

well, now we must be fast and buy lots of DDR modules  coz it will result
with price jump up to 50%...maybe even more...just like some years ago when
some factory burned down and SDR module prices jumped for around 200%...

friend of mine bought around 160 modules of 128mb SDRAM at that time....and
2 days later prices did really jump high like he said it will...he sold them
1 by 1 in next month or two and earned money for vacation travel that
year...

Re: Electronics makers facing semiconductor shortages due to Japan quake

Cargo containers are strewn about in Sendai Japan March 12.
http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/quake2/bp23.jpg

perhaps your next order was in one of these containers

Cheers Don...

======================================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Electronics makers facing semiconductor shortages due to Japan quake
http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/quake2/bp23.jpg

My friend Mick, came up with this:
http://www.dontronics.com/!.jpg
:-)

However I think there will be many delays now on goods to and from Japan.
I sent a 25KG Fedex box there on Friday, and here is the current tracking:
https://www.fedex.com/Tracking?tracknumbers85%9976552677

My Grand daughter spent an hour at NARITA airport on Saturday, I wonder how long
this package will spend there

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie