Electronics Engineering Video Blog

For your amusement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-881IriBus

And if I get enough negative responses I might make another one! :->

Dave.

Re: Electronics Engineering Video Blog

Good on you Dave, let me be the first to congratulate you.
I enjoyed it, and at the same time, learnt quite a bit.

Notice your eye contact with the camera was spot on, a mistake many
newcomers make is being unable to keep that personal touch, by always
referring back to a feed back monitor.

See how your Australian accent goes for global consumption. :-)

I can see this building up, as it sure beats reading about any new
product, or concept. Easy as falling off a log for dinosaurs like me.

I'll be telling a few friends about it.

Good luck with your projects,

(sorry it wasn't negative. :-) )

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Electronics Engineering Video Blog

Should be more!
Rgds
Ian Macmillan

Re: Electronics Engineering Video Blog

No negative response from me, I enjoyed it.

I'm off to look up the scope and the voltage regulator.

Thanks,

Ian

Re: Electronics Engineering Video Blog

Good stuff Dave, what would be interesting would be if others would conduct
virtual tours of their work benches & TEQ - be it at work or home.

Re: Electronics Engineering Video Blog

"David L. Jones"

** Amusing  -  it is indeed.

You look a bit younger than I previously believed and also now speak with a
distinct west coast Yank accent and manner too  -  compared to a few years
ago when we last spoke on the phone.

Spend a lot of time consorting with Septics these days  -   eh  ??

** In the video, you ask for ideas like a name for your proposed blog.

IMO -  it  just has to be " Davy Jones Locker "  -  sub tilted: " Bits and
Pieces of Eight from the Binary Depths"

You need to decorate your currently totally bare environment with a few
coiled ropes and rusty anchors and such   -   plus have a colourful stuffed
parrot sitting on your left shoulder.  Wearing an eye patch is essential.

Loose that damn awful Yank accent totally.

Not one, single person will take you seriously of course -  but that IS your
fate no matter what.

Dare to be great, Dave  -   have fun with the whole darn thing.

Remember, even your hero " The Woz "  had the nerve to appear last month on
the US version of  " Dancing with the Stars".

.....    Phil

Re: Electronics Engineering Video Blog

Now that's just silly :)

How about a character like Herr Frankenstein and a sidekick/gopher
called Igor? Then you could have a set like a 'laboratory'. Maybe a
'distinguished guest' spot as well. Sounds like an interesting idea for
a free podcast...

Re: Electronics Engineering Video Blog

Well, Phil only lives about 30km from my place, perhaps he could be the
first 'distinguished guest'! :->

Dave.

Re: Electronics Engineering Video Blog

How would you make him "distinguished" though?

MrT.

Re: Electronics Engineering Video Blog

Perhaps one of these distinguished looking spinning bow-ties?:
http://www.spinningbowties.com /

Dave.

Re: Electronics Engineering Video Blog

Was that "distinguished" or just more comical?
:-)

MrT.

Re: Electronics Engineering Video Blog

   'Estinguished guest' would be more like it.

--
And another motherboard bites the dust!

Re: Electronics Engineering Video Blog

FWIW I enjoyed watching !  A little rough round the edges, but so what.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Re: Electronics Engineering Video Blog

Dave,
I know a good idea when I see one.

I would also like to be the first to offer you products for review, if
you wish to travel along this path.

As you may be aware I run a small family business from Tullamarine
Australia, and am now well past my used by date, but keep plugging away
regardless.

I don't wish to push any specific items on you for review, I would want
you to pick something that is of personal interest.

Please contact me at: support2009 AT dontronics.com if you wish to chat
further on this subject.

Basically I like Phil's concept, but can't see you with a parrot and an
eye patch all the way though the video blog, so you may have to settle
for a photo blowup behind you. :-)

Good luck with it in any case.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Electronics Engineering Video Blog
Thanks for the support guys.
I've now set up a proper Blog page here:
http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog /
So you can now subscribe to the RSS feed (top right corner) and have new
videos automatically announced on your iGoogle page or whatever.
Still trying to figure out how the whole WordPress and blog thing works, so
there may be a few hiccups.

Yes, the first one was pretty rough'n'ready, just dug out my old webcam and
started talking. No script, no notes, no planning etc. So there is certainly
room for improvement!
Some editing was done on the Rigol review to fit the whole video into the 10
minute YouTube limit, so I've now posted the full review video on the Blog
site.

I almost like Phil's suggestion of Davey Jones' Locker :->
But I'll stick with EEVblog until something better comes up.

A background of some sort would help, perhaps my work bench. Might have to
see if my old notebook is up to the task so I can record somewhere other
than my drab office wall.

Dave.

Re: Electronics Engineering Video Blog

  All in all it was pretty good, nothing that further practise and vids
won't knock any rough edges off. Possibly a powerpoint presentation on
a projector to the background would come in handy for each topic and to
display diagrams that are visible to you and can be pointed at when
discussing a topic. You could even have multiple cameras for close ups
and for the work area to avoid having a camera operator.

   Personally I think it's a good idea to also parallel post to YouTube
as well as your own site so you can reach a wider audience.

Re: Electronics Engineering Video Blog

All in good time if it gets popular enough.
My current camera operator is a whisky bottle box that props the crusty old
$10 ebay webcam up in front of my monitor on my cluttered desk. Lighting is
whatever comes in through the window at the time.
The only resemblence of a professional staging setup is my studio USB
podcasting mic on a desk stand. Not the best for capturing distant audio
from though I suspect, it's designed more for close-up voice podcasting. But
still seems to work well enough.

I have a better (but old) DV camcorder, but that's more hassle to use and
import the video files from than the webcam.

I'm still hosting on YouTube, and I've set up a new dedicated channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/EEVblog

The videos on my blog site are not hosted locally, they are just using
embedded links direct to YouTube. So better to go to the Blog site:
http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog /
Easy to leave comments, subscribe the RSS feed, and will eventually be
better to sort through the archives etc.

Dave.

Re: Electronics Engineering Video Blog

Good stuff! Can you please crank the sound up, on my laptop speakers I can
hardly hear you but other Youtube films sound ok.

Thanks again and don't stop please!

Tom

Re: Electronics Engineering Video Blog

Yes, the sound was pretty ordinary on this one.
Zero effort put in to post production this time around, just encoded and
uploaded as a quick trial. I also had an issue with my studio mic with
several of the segments, so there is a funny stereo echo thing happening in
the intro and some other segments. Fixed in later ones when I switched to
mono mode.

The next one should be a better effort I hope.

Dave.

Re: Electronics Engineering Video Blog

Very good !

Keep at it.
That regulator sounds very interesting :)

Site Timeline