Electronic product quality (TVs)

Sorry if this appears twice - it's not showing on google, so...

Well our teac CTV finally died - a tech teacher I knew preferred
AWA/Mitsubishi CTVs, but I noticed they are made in china now.  Our
other choice was a brand that JB HiFi sell - "Conia".  (There's only
$30 difference between the two.)

Should we go the AWA?  Or not much difference between the two now, or
neither!?  LOL!  : )

Allan.

Re: Electronic product quality (TVs)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:31:27 +1100, Just Allan

Hello Allan,
one of my pet gripes is lack of servicing
information. Enquire about the price and
availability of the service booklet.
No book no buy.
Regards,
John Crighton
Hornsby

Re: Electronic product quality (TVs)

Con Ya.

Brand names still work better.

They have higher standards. If you try to take a  Conia or palsonic CTV back
due to distortion or colour problems they  pull out some piece of paper and
say its within 95% of correct and it meets their standards...

Its these standards that set the quality of the TV.

That and the cheap buttons and speakers and likelyhood of failure of the
conia... if the circuits are run out of  tune they fail quicker too.

Re: Electronic product quality (TVs)

back
and

Since so many "brand" names are the same Chinese sets with different badges
these days, it seems they have really conned ya.

Even my last Sony was a bigger POS than my cheap Chinese set.
Service support was no better either.

I'm sure there are some good quality sets still, but you not only have to
pay more, you have to know which ones.
The badge on the front is little help.

MrT.

Re: Electronic product quality (TVs)

keyboard and composed:

I have to agree. Sony was badge engineering over a decade ago. In the
aftermath of the VHS-beta war, Sony was left without a VHS product, so
they used Sanyo mechs. In later years their low end offerings had the
same mechs as Palsonics. To see for yourself, just compare the belt
kits in a WES catalogue.

I'm prepared to pay a price premium for a quality product, but which
one? I'd hate to think that my extra cash was paying for the marketing
manager's sports car instead of QC and R&D.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Electronic product quality (TVs)

Agreed. I'm prepared to pay more when I know *exactly* what the difference
is, not some marketing exec's wet dream.

MrT.

Re: Electronic product quality (TVs)

They have higher standards. If you try to take a  Conia or palsonic CTV back
due to distortion or colour problems they  pull out some piece of paper and
say its within 95% of correct and it meets their standards...
That and the cheap buttons and speakers and likelyhood of failure of the
conia... if the circuits are run out of  tune they fail quicker too.

***** Aw Strewth,the mind boggles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian Goldsmith.

Re: Electronic product quality (TVs)

If supporting the local industry matters to you, Panasonic make most
of their large screen TVs at their facility in Penrith, west of
Sydney:
http://www.pvedc.com.au/cgi-bin/articles/display.pl?article_id66 %

Don't really know what Panasonic are like quality wise, but at least
they are made in Oz.

Dave :)

Re: Electronic product quality (TVs)

On 22 Mar 2005 03:12:08 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (David L. Jones)

Yep - that's pretty much the feeling I got.  The AWA had the same
control layout (and jungle chip, from the on-screen menu) as another
brand a few sets along the shelf.  ("Aiko?" I think it was...)  I
spent a lot of time adjusting picture controls too, to try and compare
- and didn't really see any difference in picture quality between sets
- except with one LG, which was double the price.  (It wasn't THAT
many years ago, the picture difference was obvious between sets.)

Yep, I didn't think of this at the time - and I should have.  Oh
well...  We went with the AWA - it had DVD/component video inputs + 2
sets of normal AV inputs plus 1 AV output, S-video & a headphone
socket...  Several JB staff kept telling us the Conia (and all other
68cm around that price) only had one or two AV (RCA) inputs.  (They
were wrong - the Conia had the S-video as well.)

The AWA was $328 at BigW - and the other sets we could find with
component inputs was double that price.  When I got it home, I found a
deep "razor cut" in the plastic shell - at the bottom where it meets
the screen.  (It would have bugged me.)  So back it went - and I had
to open another four boxes (all that they had) to find a reasonable
one.  One had not had it's painting completed - you could see the
plastic underneath right along the bottom edge of the tube.  Another
had paint rubbed off on the edges (even though the box was sealed),
and yet another had a deep 1cm scratch right in the middle of the
screen!

The one we finally got had some light scratches on the top - but I
figured it would get that way eventually anyway, so I asked for a
further discount - and got another 5% off.

We bought several items the same day - a Panasonic VCR was one of
those.  Hope it works better than it looks!  It's controls are plain
and poorly laid out, like they're from the early eighties.  (Pity the
build quality doesn't look early 80s..)

: )

Allan.

Site Timeline