Electromagnetic Field Measurement

There is enough material on the net to suggest that Pulsed
Electromagnetic Therapy MAY just work to relieve arthritic pain.

I am not convinced enough to spend US$1200 or so for a commercially
produced machine, but I believe it should be reasonably easy to build
one. I am thinking a PICAXE driving a FET switching a 12V supply
through a coil of around 45cm diameter.

The problem is  how to calculate the number of turns and the current
required through the coil to produce the required field strength ?

The strengths I have seen quoted are: 2.74 x 10(-7) to 3.4 x 10(-8) G.
I presume the 'G' is for Gauss. I have also seen a figure of 25 Tesla.

I would also like to measure the produced field if at all possible,
just to confirm that it is in the ballpark.

I will be grateful for any help with this.

TIA

Dave Goldfinch

Re: Electromagnetic Field Measurement

Check this site for online calcs.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/curloo.html

These field strengths you quoted are tiny, will have close to no effect.
Earths weak filed is ~0.5 G. 10000 G= 1 Tesla. I bet most of the stuff
you looked up were scammers, not scientific.

Re: Electromagnetic Field Measurement

Geoff

Thanks for the link.

As you say, most of the stuff I read was snake -oil, but there were a
few papers that described  double blind tests that appeared genuine.

As long as it only costs my time + a few dollars for components I am
happy to experiment - using myself as a guinea pig of course !

Dave

Re: Electromagnetic Field Measurement

G.
Tesla.
effect.

Dave

Tell us if it has any noticeable effect!

Re: Electromagnetic Field Measurement

It likely operates by a well researched principle called the placebo effect.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Re: Electromagnetic Field Measurement

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:43:45 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock

Yes, well it will be difficult for me to conduct a true double blind
trial on myself BUT I am almost as sceptical as you appear to be, so
we can but wait and see.

Hell ! even if it is only placebo I will be happy if it has SOME
effect !

Dave

Re: Electromagnetic Field Measurement

Hi Dave, I reckon pulses at 2.45 GHz will work a treat on arthritis.

;)

Regards
Mark

Re: Electromagnetic Field Measurement

frequency is not mentioned, or is the 200Hz pulses of 900MHz EMF from a mobile
going to work

do mobile phone users have less joint problems than the rest?

Re: Electromagnetic Field Measurement

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:10:00 +0800, Ed /:-}
composed:

going to work

No, if anything they appear to have *more* problems. In fact I notice
that many of them no longer have the dexterity to operate the Shift
key.

-- Franc Zabkar

Re: Electromagnetic Field Measurement

Yeah, presumably at about 2KW !! Do you prefer your knees rare or well
done ?

Just for the record, the frequencies mentioned in the trials are
generally below 10Hz.

Dave

Re: Electromagnetic Field Measurement

a pulse has very high freqs, you are only talking about the prf

Site Timeline