Electricity meter checking, NSW

Yeah? Something in there you want to quote or what?

Reply to
yaputya

Oxford English Dictionary Adds Selfie, Derp, FOMO And More Words We Use Online

yaputya

Such is the process by which languages evolve. The mechanisms for evolution seem to include stupidity, ignorance, laziness, emulation of a desire status (copying the way the yanks speak), etc., ad nauseam. Indeed, about the only mechanism conspicuous by its absence is any kind of considered deliberate modification.

Despite all that, languages do not decay into uselessness because a process of darwinian selection prevents it - any change that tends to make the language less useful gets dropped exactly because it doesn't get used.

Of course, little of the change seems to serve any useful purpose, and people have been frustrated by it for centuries. No doubt they will continue to be in the future. One thing is for certain, though; it's not going to stop.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

DILLIGAF LOL ROFLMAO ;)

Reply to
Glenn B

Don't need to as the OED is recognised as the benchmark of english, why would I need other dictionaries?

Reply to
F Murtz

Have you worked out what you meant by "NEW" words yet?

The point is, you were putting shit on the Macquarie (which IS the benchmark of Australian English, by the way) because it didn't have "rooves". What you fail to realise is that the OED NEVER deletes words, so they put in notations like "disputed" and "obsolete" in entries for outdated words like "rooves". Most other dictionaries simply delete such oddities after their usage falls to almost nothing.

Reply to
yaputya

A poster stated that it was rooves, I posted the OED version showing that it prefered roofs but could be rooves.

When maquarie dict. first started it was known for inserting almost any fad new word before you could sneeze. the trouble with doing this prematurely is that it legitimises the new word therefore accelerating its introduction when it may not have taken hold otherwise.

Reply to
F Murtz

I can't find any such criticism of the Macquarie. Perhaps you are misinformed.

I doubt if dictionaries "legitimise" new words that way, the word has to be in common use before it is included. You may not be using it but many others would be doing so. The dictionary follows usage, not the other way round.

Reply to
yaputya

And when challenged say indignantly, it is a word, it is in the dictionary.

Reply to
F Murtz

Do you actually have a copy of The Macquarie Dictionary? Can you cite some examples of "macquarie has any word yelled three times in their hearing." that have gotten you so upset?

Reply to
yaputya

It's for the 7:10 to 7:12 peak where zillions of people get up in first add break of "Oz Got Talent" to make a cup of tea.

nobble a few zillion fridge pumps for 5 minutes = win.

yeah

--
For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts