Electricity meter checking, NSW

Yes it is.

That is why power utilities install under frequency load shedding relays. If the power system frequency drops it indicates that the load exceeds the supply. The under frequency load shed relay sheds some load, often industrial furnaces, smelters etc, which get special electricity rates.

David

Reply to
David

oxford dictionary. roof // n. & v. n. (pl. roofs or disp. rooves //)

1 a the upper covering of a building, usu. supported by its walls. b the top of a covered vehicle. c the top inner surface of an oven, refrigerator, etc. 2 the overhead rock in a cave or mine etc. 3 poet. the branches or the sky etc. overhead. 4 (of prices etc.) the upper limit or ceiling. v.tr. 1 (often foll. by in, over) cover with or as with a roof. 2 be the roof of. go through the roof colloq. (of prices etc.) reach extreme or unexpected heights. hit (or go through or raise) the roof colloq. become very angry. a roof over one's head somewhere to live. under one roof in the same building. under a person's roof in a person's house (esp. with reference to hospitality). roofed adj. (also in comb.). roofless adj. [Old English hrof]
Reply to
F Murtz

"David is a psycho TROLL "

** No it is not.

Go f*ck your mother, again

- you asinine pile of trolling autistic shit.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"In a similar manner, if the load is varied on a power system without a corresponding variation in the generation feeding that power system, the frequency (speed) will deviate."

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

** Yes it is.

Here is some info for you to read. If you can't understand it, please ask (nicely).

... David

Reply to
David

Here is another link to the AEMO Power System Frequency and Time Deviation Monitoring Report September 2012

Clearly shows two examples that loss of generation results in the power system frequency dropping.

David

Reply to
David

Hope you find a viable solution.

Reply to
Jeßus

That's what I did, as I didn't want panels or invertors on the house itself. I split the panels between two shed rooves, it did mean a second invertor and power board though.

I wondered if someone was going to comment on that :)

Reply to
Jeßus

The oxford english dictionary allows both

[...]

"Rooves" is definitely an outdated spelling from the 19th century. The 1982 Australian Maquarie dictionary only has "roofs".

Reply to
yaputya

Pandering to the lowest common denominator, no less - i.e., those who can't be imbued with a clue even with a four-by-two.

The maintainers of these dictionaries are the same ones who declared decades ago that the letter "H" was a vowel. The folk who, in the words of Douglas Adams's character Zaphod Beeblebrox, "are so unhip it's a wonder their bums don't fall off." So in an effort to be "cool" (in their own minds at least), they've taken to adding ludicrous colloquialisms and bastardisations to their dictionaries.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

The dictionary I quoted (old copy)OED is usually recognised as the benchmark, Websters is American and macquarie has any word yelled three times in their hearing.

Reply to
F Murtz

The role of a lexicographer is to describe a language as it is used. It is not their function to seek to tell a population how they should use their language.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Resorting to insults just shows your ignorance of the subject. Perhaps you are confusing the spelling with the pronunciation? It is a fact that "rooves" is hardly used these days, it is not even mentioned in most dictionaries - British or American. The current online Oxford British and World English dictionary gives the plural as 'roofs' in the heading, and remarks that 'rooves' is not the usual spelling.

"The most usual plural of roof is roofs, although rooves is sometimes used." The Cambridge British English dictionary does not mention "rooves".
"We do not have an entry for rooves. Have a look at how it is spelled. Did you type it correctly?"

More to the point, the British National Corpus returns 653 hits for "roofs" and only 5 for "rooves". "The British National Corpus (BNC) is a 100 million word collection of samples of written and spoken language from a wide range of sources, designed to represent a wide cross-section of current British English, both spoken and written."

You don't seem to understand how English dictionaries are compiled. BTW Samuel Johnson described the "rooves" spelling as obsolete in 1755!

yaputya

You don't seem to realise what you have posted!

The "disp." means DISPUTED.

Your insulting comment about the Macquarie is just silly. The Macquarie contains FEWER entries than the OED. See if you can find "rooves" in the Cambridge University Press British English dictionary:

than

Reply to
yaputya

As well may be the case... but 'roofs' just looks wrong to me :)

Reply to
Jeßus

Woe betide us then; within a decade they'll have "SMS speak" entered as legitimate words, given its propensity of use :-/

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Disputed does not mean incorrect.

If correct I wager that they have many more "NEW" words.

Reply to
F Murtz

F Murtz

Not correct either, eh? Hardly a ringing endorsement of it! Words are NEVER removed from the OED so obsolete and disputed forms like "rooves"are there for ever. As I posted elsewhere, if you look at ACTUAL usage of *British English* in the British National Corpus, "roofs" has 100 times more entries than "rooves".

I am correct. As of 30 November 2005, the Oxford English Dictionary contained approximately 301,100 main entries.

Macquarie Dictionary Data - The full edition consists of over 140,000 references and over 210,000 definitions while the Concise and other smaller editions as well as educational dictionaries are also available.

Wanna bet? OK, first you have to define exactly what you mean by "NEW" words. Words added to the latest edition? Words added since the first edition? Be precise. Then provide some evidence of how many:

1) "NEW" words are in the OED? 2) "NEW" words are in The Macquarie Dictionary?

Can't find it in that British English dictionary, eh?

Reply to
yaputya