Electricity meter checking, NSW - Page 2

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

Here is another link to the AEMO Power System Frequency and Time
Deviation Monitoring Report September 2012

http://www.aemo.com.au/Reports-and-Documents/Reports/~/media/Files/Other/reports/frequency/2012/September_2012_Freq_Report_Final.ashx

Clearly shows two examples that loss of generation results in the power
system frequency dropping.

David

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

** Yes it is.

Here is some info for you to read. If you can't understand it, please
ask (nicely).

http://www.oz-energy-analysis.org/topics/HowNEMworks.php

... David

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

It's for the 7:10 to 7:12 peak where zillions of people get up in
first add break of  "Oz Got Talent"  to make a cup of tea.

nobble a few zillion fridge pumps for 5 minutes = win.

yeah

--
For a good time: install ntp

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW
On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 09:05:57 +1000, Trevor Wilson

Things are not going to improve over time, why not go solar?

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

**Too many trees sheilding my roofs. I'm looking at amorphous cells, in
series/parallel that may mitigate the worst of the problems.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

Round-up... Copper nails... ;-)

Seriously though, depending on the size of your yard, you might be able to
mount the cells on ancillary buildings, or create a frame specifically to
hold them - assumign the entirety of the yard isn't obscured by trees.

BTW, the plural is "rooves" - don't let the Septification of the English
language get a hold in Australia.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW
oxford dictionary.
roof // n. & v.
n. (pl. roofs or disp. rooves //)
1 a the upper covering of a building, usu. supported by its walls. b the
top of a covered vehicle. c the top inner surface of an oven,
refrigerator, etc.
2 the overhead rock in a cave or mine etc.
3 poet. the branches or the sky etc. overhead.
4 (of prices etc.) the upper limit or ceiling.
v.tr.
1 (often foll. by in, over) cover with or as with a roof.
2 be the roof of.
go through the roof colloq. (of prices etc.) reach extreme or unexpected
heights.
hit (or go through or raise) the roof colloq. become very angry.
a roof over one's head somewhere to live.
under one roof in the same building.
under a person's roof in a person's house (esp. with reference to
hospitality).
roofed adj. (also in comb.).
roofless adj.
[Old English hrof]

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW
On Thu, 3 Oct 2013 06:04:06 +1000, "Bob Milutinovic"

That's what I did, as I didn't want panels or invertors on the house
itself. I split the panels between two shed rooves, it did mean a
second invertor and power board though.

I wondered if someone was going to comment on that :)

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

The oxford english dictionary allows both

[...]

"Rooves" is definitely an outdated spelling from the 19th century.
The 1982 Australian Maquarie dictionary only has "roofs".

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

Pandering to the lowest common denominator, no less - i.e., those who can't
be imbued with a clue even with a four-by-two.

The maintainers of these dictionaries are the same ones who declared decades
ago that the letter "H" was a vowel. The folk who, in the words of Douglas
Adams's character Zaphod Beeblebrox, "are so unhip it's a wonder their bums
don't fall off." So in an effort to be "cool" (in their own minds at least),
they've taken to adding ludicrous colloquialisms and bastardisations to
their dictionaries.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

The dictionary I quoted (old copy)OED is usually recognised as the
benchmark, Websters is American and macquarie has any word yelled three
times in their hearing.

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

You don't seem to realise what you have posted!
The "disp." means DISPUTED.

Your insulting comment about the Macquarie is just silly. The Macquarie contains
FEWER entries than the OED.
See if you can find "rooves" in the Cambridge University Press British English dictionary:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/

than

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

Disputed does not mean incorrect.

If correct I wager that they have many more "NEW" words.

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

Not correct either, eh? Hardly a ringing endorsement of it!
Words are NEVER removed from the OED so obsolete and disputed forms like "rooves"are there for ever.
As I posted elsewhere, if you look at ACTUAL usage of *British English* in the
British National Corpus, "roofs" has 100 times more entries than "rooves".

I am correct.
As of 30 November 2005, the Oxford English Dictionary contained approximately 301,100 main entries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_English_Dictionary
 Macquarie Dictionary Data - The full edition consists of over 140,000 references and over 210,000 definitions while the Concise and
other smaller editions as well as educational dictionaries are also available.
http://www.macquarieonline.com.au/anonymous@919CA23945883/-/p/dict/dataDeals.html

Wanna bet? OK, first you have to define exactly what you mean by "NEW" words.
Words added to the latest edition?
Words added since the first edition?
Be precise.
Then provide some evidence of how many:
1) "NEW" words are in the OED?
2) "NEW" words are in The Macquarie Dictionary?

Can't find it in that British English dictionary, eh?

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW
Don't need to as the OED is recognised as the benchmark of english, why
would I need other dictionaries?

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

Have you worked out what you meant by "NEW" words yet?

The point is, you were putting shit on the Macquarie (which IS the benchmark of
Australian English, by the way) because it didn't have "rooves". What you fail to
realise is that the OED NEVER deletes words, so they put in notations like "disputed"
and "obsolete" in entries for outdated words like "rooves". Most other dictionaries
simply delete such oddities after their usage falls to almost nothing.

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

A poster stated that it was rooves, I posted the OED version showing
that it prefered roofs but could be rooves.

When maquarie dict. first started it was known for inserting almost any
fad new word before you could sneeze.
the trouble with doing this prematurely is that it legitimises the new
word therefore accelerating its introduction when it may not have taken
hold otherwise.

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

I can't find any such criticism of the Macquarie. Perhaps you are misinformed.

I doubt if dictionaries "legitimise" new words that way, the word has to be in
common use before it is included. You may not be using it but many others
would be doing so. The dictionary follows usage, not the other way round.

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW
And when challenged say indignantly, it is a word, it is in the dictionary.

Site Timeline