Electricity meter checking, NSW

I recieved a letter yesterday, telling me that Ausgrid wish to perform
maintenance on my meter. Smells like a con to me. In almost 40 years as
an electricity consumer, I've never heard of a meter requiring
maintenance. I suspect they simply wish to fit my home with a 'smart
meter'. I don't want a smart meter.

Anyone else recieved this bullshit?

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

If they want to fit a smart meter they probably will.

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

The new meters allow remote reading, which is probably the primary
motivation for installing them.

I can't find anything to suggest that people can be forced onto a time
of use tariff.

Sylvia.

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

Smart meters are made that can selective switch circuits remotely and
the wheels are already turning in backroom brains wanting to control use
in high peak times.
tests are already happening in some groups with permission.
They are also testing remote control of fridges which have control
circuits built in which shut down for short enough periods that food
does not go off.

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

I don't see the point. What happens when the power is restored?
Obviously, the pump runs until the temperature returns to the set point.
If disconnecting the power has prevented the pump from running earlier,
it will now run for that much longer because the temperature has risen
further. Net result on energy consumption(leaving out the second order
effect of a higher average temperature, which the consumer would
compensate for by turning the thermostat down) - nil.

The same applies to air conditioners.

Sylvia.

Sylvia.

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

Nil net energy saving, but a possible load smoothing?

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

Taken over thousands of households, I'd be very surprised if there was
much noticeable variation in load as refrigerators and/or
airconditioners turn themselves on and off. I'd expect the inherent
randomness of the process to even things out.

If we're talking about turning them off for hours - load shifting - then
things are different, but the temperature in a fridge rises
significantly over that timescale, and, of course, it's the last thing
one wants with an airconditioner - in effect, to be able to use it only
when it's not needed.

Sylvia.

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW
one article

http://www.project.nsearch.com/profiles/blogs/big-brother-to-switch-off-your-fridge-power-giants-to-make

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

According to that source, the fridge etc. would monitor the incoming mains frequ. and react according to whether it is over or under
the nominal 50Hz.
I suppose the fridge would switch to a low-power mode where it doesn't run the compressor and lets the temp go higher than normal.
Hopefully, the fridge would have previously cooled to a lower than normal temp (running longer when the mains freq. was higher), so
ya tinnies wouldn't get to disgusting Pommie temps!

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

"F Murtz"

** You would have to be very stupid to swallow one word of that drivel -
load and supply frequency are NOT related in the simplistic way being
suggested.

Blackouts, when they do occur, are not across the *whole supply grid* but
particular sub stations that experience faults or overheating of the
transformers.

For example: NSW, SA, VIC and QLD are all one grid and so share a common
frequency - which is derived and controlled from hydro generators in the
Snowy mountains.

Anyone who cares to check the frequency will see that variations from 50Hz
are small ( typically  +/-  0.1Hz ) and are largely independent of the time
of day or weather.

FYI.

Tasmania shares power with VIC via an under sea cable -  but that cable uses
DC so the frequency in Tasmania is not locked to the main grid.

....  Phil

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

A short term drop in frequency is an indicator that power demand is
momentarily exceeding supply. Essentially it means that the rotational
energy in the generators is being consumed, slowing them down. The way
this is handled in the normal way of things is for certain generator
operators be paid to provide "frequency control" whereby their
generators respond to the drop in frequency by throttling up (and to an
increase in frequency by throttling down). This ultimately is what keeps
the frequency within limits.

But I shudder to think what happens when you have a million appliances
around the place that drop their demand when the frequency falls. They
then become part of the control feedback loop. That seems more likely to
cause blackouts then prevent them.

Sylvia.

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

"Sylvia Else"

** No it is not.

   ...  Phil

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

The usual cogent argument from Phil.

Think about the physics of it.

Sylvia.

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

Does anyone know anything about a catastrophic unloading of a generator
turbine at the East Perth power station that resulted in the generator
rotor literally leaving the building?

Supposedly in the 60's

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

"Glenn B"

** Pretty much the only way something like that can happen is if the turbine
suddenly stops rotating.

 Like in an instant  -  if the main bearings totally cease cos there is no
lubrication.

 Exit one turbine  -  left stage  ...

Right through the wall and into the wild blue younder.

....   Phil

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW
Phil Allison laid this down on his screen :

I believe it happened at the old Wangi Power station in about 1957.
Turbine jammed, Alternator,50 megawatts, motored on driven by the rest
of NSW and centre bearing left the room thru a window and landed in the
transformer yard.

Wangi is on Lake Macquarie not far from Eraring PS.

--
John G

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

I heard the East Perth power station from different ex-State Energy
Commission guys - I'm not sure I believe them but it seems to be a
widespread story. Supposedly some bits ended up in the adjacent river.

Perhaps the east perth story is a time distorted version of the Wangi
incident.

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

Yes it is.

That is why power utilities install under frequency load shedding
relays. If the power system frequency drops it indicates that the load
exceeds the supply. The under frequency load shed relay sheds some load,
often industrial furnaces, smelters etc, which get special electricity
rates.

David

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

"David is a psycho TROLL "

** No it is not.

Go fuck your mother, again

 - you asinine pile of trolling autistic shit.

...   Phil

Re: Electricity meter checking, NSW

<http://www.aemo.com.au/en/Electricity/Market-and-Power-Systems/Ancillary-Services/~/media/Files/Other/electricityops/0160-0048%20pdf.ashx

"In a similar manner, if the load is varied on a power system without a
corresponding variation in the generation feeding that power system, the
frequency (speed) will deviate."

Sylvia.

Site Timeline