Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

I knew electrical tagging all of those power cords was a money making
scam, but I just found out we recently paid over $5 per tag - WTF!

Last I heard, about 5 years ago we paid around $2 per tag. But then
again the guy who did that didn't even test them, he just slapped the
sticker on. At least the new $5/tag guy actually uses a PAT tester
*rolling eyes*.

Anyone else know what people are charging for this?, and where do I
sign up? :->

Dave :)

Re: Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

What should be done and what is actually done with testing and tagging are
unfortunately two different things. :-(
For a short extension cord or IEC power lead, maybe $5 might sound
excessive.  For longer leads and more complex appliances then more time is
used actually visually inspecting the unit under test than the actual
electrical testing.  This may very well justify the cost.

Anyone who runs a business will know there are a lot more costs than just
the PAT tester and some basic tools to do this work.  In order to make a
business viable, all costs (hidden through to the damn obvious) need to be
accounted for before you start counting the profits.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

I know, I have a photo somewhere of a fleshly tagged "death lead" i.e
just a plug with the other ends bare. Obviously overlooked in the
electricians blind tagging furry! CA-CHING!

Sure.
In this case though, I believe that cost was just for IEC leads. Fixed
lead gear was a *lot* extra.

Dave :)

Re: Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

Well, if that is the case you should have impounded the evidence and passed
it onto Worksafe in your state.
The "tagged" cord will have the testing electrician's signature and license
number on it.
If the testing electrician that certified this cord is out there certifying
these unsafe cords as "safe", he should be reported and stopped before his
negligence gets some poor bugger killed.

Apathetically blabbing about it here isn't going to do any good.  Report the
SOB.

Re: Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

He was.

Dave :)

Re: Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

Good on you.  One less dangerous cowboy out there.  :-)

Re: Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

Report

How do you know, *and* prove it wasn't cut after he tagged it?

MrT.

Re: Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

Pointless asking me.  David L. Jones was the one who made the allegation,
not moi. :P

Re: Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

The problem is by law an electrician has to do it. And he is working for his
call out company, so they will probably want about $100/hr.

Whats dumb is that in most cases (IEC power cords etc.) the tag costs more
than the lead. So its cheaper to throw them out and buy them brand new, that
we you don't have to tag them for 5 years - stupid yes.

As for a scam? People sell houses for a living, or anyone that charges
interest on a loan, now that a scam, money for nothing!

Re: Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

Not entirely true.  Some organisations can and do insist on even new cords
and appliances be tested before thay are allowed on site.  Telstra is such
an organisation.  The tagging applies to both equipment and cords used by
staff and 240V electrical equipment bought onto Telstra sites by visitors
and contractors irrespective of who will be using or coming into physical
contact with it.  I was "ticked off" about this whilst conducting some
training at a Telstra depot.  Even though my multimedia projector, power
board, ELCBR and laptop power supply were all current with the tested tags
my mobile phone recharger wasn't.  This being the case I was not allowed
under their "workplace conditions" to plug the thing in and charge my mobile
phone.

Re: Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

Our OH&S mob don't insist on new stuff getting done, but when it's
"test tag time" everything on site must be done regardless of age.
Office stuff is 12 months, production stuff is 6 months, more cow
milking opportuity there!
But of course, being a typically "task driven" department, OH&S don't
give a toss about what you use between test tagging times, as long as
they can tick off their task as done for the week.

Speaking of phones, it's company policy at our place that you are not
allowed to bring mobile phones with a camera into the building. Not
that anyone cares of course :->

Oh, and we aren't allowed to cross the road in front of our company,
even at the crossing lights, it's too dangerous apparently. No I'm not
joking!

Dave :)

Re: Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

Hmmmm.... control of the staff off premises - scary.....

Re: Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

This big brother stuff is getting beyond a joke. Soon the regulations will
be making it uneconomical to do small jobs. I once went to the mines to do a
job. It took an hour to drive there, 2 hours to get inducted, 1 hour to do
the job, then another hour to get back. Because the mines insist on fixed
pricing it wasnt worth the effort after receiving their cheque.

Re: Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

that

How does that help, new leads are not tagged either.

MrT.

Re: Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

In Victoria, you dont even have to be a licensed electrician to be able to
test and tag items......read the act - it opens the door for cowboy$

more

Re: Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

"princo coasters"

** Seems to be the same deal in all states.

Most electricians have no special knowledge of  * portable appliance* safety
or operation of the relevant test gear. Plenty of licensed electricians are
outright  " cowboys " too.

Test and Tag operators need to have proof of competency in appliance safety
technology &  test procedures  -   several organizations offer courses on
the topic.

......   Phil

Re: Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

Jims have a number of Test & Tag franchise available in Victoria for
$16,600 to $100,000 - Go for it & sign up. Lot of Tags needed at $5 to
get your money back.

http://www.jims.net/franchises4sale.htm

--
Regards

Kevin Martin

Re: Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

Now Jim's franchising of *everything* is a license to print money, for JIM.
But there is no need to pay him anything to set up your own business.

MrT.

Re: Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

Not denying that, but the OP did ask where he can sign up for $5 a
throw. From the number of franchises available for Jim's Test & Tag in
Vic, something doesn't add up.

--
Regards

Kevin Martin

Re: Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

Just received a flyer in the mail for Jim's Antennas
and at the bottom we now have
Jim's Phone Outlets and Jim's Home Theatre
Maybe Jim's Flyers is next
Cheers
Mike

Site Timeline