Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

I knew electrical tagging all of those power cords was a money making scam, but I just found out we recently paid over $5 per tag - WTF!

Last I heard, about 5 years ago we paid around $2 per tag. But then again the guy who did that didn't even test them, he just slapped the sticker on. At least the new $5/tag guy actually uses a PAT tester

*rolling eyes*.

Anyone else know what people are charging for this?, and where do I sign up? :->

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

What should be done and what is actually done with testing and tagging are unfortunately two different things. :-( For a short extension cord or IEC power lead, maybe $5 might sound excessive. For longer leads and more complex appliances then more time is used actually visually inspecting the unit under test than the actual electrical testing. This may very well justify the cost.

Anyone who runs a business will know there are a lot more costs than just the PAT tester and some basic tools to do this work. In order to make a business viable, all costs (hidden through to the damn obvious) need to be accounted for before you start counting the profits.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

I know, I have a photo somewhere of a fleshly tagged "death lead" i.e just a plug with the other ends bare. Obviously overlooked in the electricians blind tagging furry! CA-CHING!

Sure. In this case though, I believe that cost was just for IEC leads. Fixed lead gear was a *lot* extra. Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

The problem is by law an electrician has to do it. And he is working for his call out company, so they will probably want about $100/hr.

Whats dumb is that in most cases (IEC power cords etc.) the tag costs more than the lead. So its cheaper to throw them out and buy them brand new, that we you don't have to tag them for 5 years - stupid yes.

As for a scam? People sell houses for a living, or anyone that charges interest on a loan, now that a scam, money for nothing!

Reply to
Dac

Well, if that is the case you should have impounded the evidence and passed it onto Worksafe in your state. The "tagged" cord will have the testing electrician's signature and license number on it. If the testing electrician that certified this cord is out there certifying these unsafe cords as "safe", he should be reported and stopped before his negligence gets some poor bugger killed.

Apathetically blabbing about it here isn't going to do any good. Report the SOB.

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Not entirely true. Some organisations can and do insist on even new cords and appliances be tested before thay are allowed on site. Telstra is such an organisation. The tagging applies to both equipment and cords used by staff and 240V electrical equipment bought onto Telstra sites by visitors and contractors irrespective of who will be using or coming into physical contact with it. I was "ticked off" about this whilst conducting some training at a Telstra depot. Even though my multimedia projector, power board, ELCBR and laptop power supply were all current with the tested tags my mobile phone recharger wasn't. This being the case I was not allowed under their "workplace conditions" to plug the thing in and charge my mobile phone.

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Our OH&S mob don't insist on new stuff getting done, but when it's "test tag time" everything on site must be done regardless of age. Office stuff is 12 months, production stuff is 6 months, more cow milking opportuity there! But of course, being a typically "task driven" department, OH&S don't give a toss about what you use between test tagging times, as long as they can tick off their task as done for the week.

Speaking of phones, it's company policy at our place that you are not allowed to bring mobile phones with a camera into the building. Not that anyone cares of course :->

Oh, and we aren't allowed to cross the road in front of our company, even at the crossing lights, it's too dangerous apparently. No I'm not joking!

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

He was.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Good on you. One less dangerous cowboy out there. :-)

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Hmmmm.... control of the staff off premises - scary.....

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

This big brother stuff is getting beyond a joke. Soon the regulations will be making it uneconomical to do small jobs. I once went to the mines to do a job. It took an hour to drive there, 2 hours to get inducted, 1 hour to do the job, then another hour to get back. Because the mines insist on fixed pricing it wasnt worth the effort after receiving their cheque.

Reply to
two bob

"Alan Rutlidge" >> license

Report

How do you know, *and* prove it wasn't cut after he tagged it?

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

that

How does that help, new leads are not tagged either.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Pointless asking me. David L. Jones was the one who made the allegation, not moi. :P

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

In Victoria, you dont even have to be a licensed electrician to be able to test and tag items......read the act - it opens the door for cowboy$

more

Reply to
princo coasters

"princo coasters"

** Seems to be the same deal in all states.

Most electricians have no special knowledge of * portable appliance* safety or operation of the relevant test gear. Plenty of licensed electricians are outright " cowboys " too.

Test and Tag operators need to have proof of competency in appliance safety technology & test procedures - several organizations offer courses on the topic.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Jims have a number of Test & Tag franchise available in Victoria for $16,600 to $100,000 - Go for it & sign up. Lot of Tags needed at $5 to get your money back.

Regards

Kevin Martin
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Kevin Martin

Now Jim's franchising of *everything* is a license to print money, for JIM. But there is no need to pay him anything to set up your own business.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Not denying that, but the OP did ask where he can sign up for $5 a throw. From the number of franchises available for Jim's Test & Tag in Vic, something doesn't add up.

--
Regards

Kevin Martin
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Kevin Martin

Just received a flyer in the mail for Jim's Antennas and at the bottom we now have Jim's Phone Outlets and Jim's Home Theatre Maybe Jim's Flyers is next Cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike