Electrical licensing FWIW. - Page 2

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

"fritz"

( snip piles of putrid, irrational crap)

** This wanker is a  DANGEROUS   LUNATIC  !!

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

Sorry to embarrass you, toaster boy.
You really are ignorant, read the SC cites and learn something.

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_110635/article.html

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

I think you will find that you do not need a license to repair toasters
(at least in NSW)

legal.
Australia
out by a fuckwit.
wiring
understand

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

Can you explain to what level the electrical industry has been
deregulated in NSW ?

Does this mean that anyone can do their own/other people's wiring
legally, do certain parts of it, are required to
do a course first etc etc ?

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

It is not as simple as that. Go to Dept of Fair Trading

and drill down to Draft legislation seeking to eliminate

licensing requirements for , in particular, electrical trades.

I am not a member of the ETU , fuck them I say , and that includes the

halfwit John Robertson.

Go figure who is driving the agenda -

Dept of Fair Trading

 ( read - Big Money )

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

Thinking laterally now. How about you call the people who insure your
home about the cost of annual renewal. Tell them that you rewired your
home yourself. Tell them also that you thought long and hard about the
pros and cons and that to save money you did not think it was
necessary to use an electrician ( aka - a rip-off artist )

Let us know what they say.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

They'll probably toe the party line.

But what of countries where people are permitted to do this? Do insurers
bother to ask? If not, what does that say about the actual level of risk
to the insurer?

Sylvia.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.
On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 22:03:15 +1100, Sylvia Else

Risk is par for the course with the insurance racket. They pay out
heaps, and often.

It has been often noted is is cheaper to amputate a diabetic's
gangrenous feet than it is to provide suitable footwear to preclude
such an outcome.

I like you Sylvia - you come across as being clever.

Want to tallk about self-destructing aircraft engines ? And the
related insurance issues !

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

Not sure there's really that much to discuss. Presumably you're thinking
about the Qantas A380. Rolls Royce no doubt have product liability
insurance, which will cover ordinary risks, probably including
negligence. It's only going to get interesting if it can be shown that
RR management wilfully ignored a clearly identified unacceptable risk
(i.e. behaved like NASA management on two occasions). The insurer might
have a get-out clause then, and, as an aside, only the fact that no one
died will keep the management out of prison.

Sylvia.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.
On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 22:39:40 +1100, Sylvia Else

Ok.

Do you recall perchance the engine type fitted to AF445/447 lost
mid-Atlantic ?

The flaws in the Avionics systems were widely discussed at the time
and the French Gov has, under duress, restarted the undersea search
for the aircraft wreckage.

But , of course you probably already knew that , neh ?

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

They were CF6-80s made by General Electric.

I was aware of the restart, or intended restart, of the search. I hadn't
heard that it was the result of duress. There is a clear public interest
both within France, and beyond, in having the cause of that crash
established with some certainty.

Sylvia.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.
On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 23:04:58 +1100, Sylvia Else

Well thank you for that snippet.

Bueno Noche.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

I think they would look for any evidence of bodgy wiring during the
insurance assessment after a claim
and if they didn't find any, they probably would pay the claim.  If
the electrical system was in no way related to the claim,
they may not look at it, unless trying to find an excuse to avoid the
claim or find a pattern of bad or illegal workmanship at the
premises ?

If they found something bodgy, they would then start tracking down who
did it. If it was the homeowner who was unqualified,
they would reject the claim ?, if it was a licensed electrician, they
would probably try to recover damages from them ?
If it was someone unlicensed, but this was not known by the homeowner
when they had the work done,  I'm not sure what would happen.
probably have to pursue that person who did it ?

The unqualified person in question may be prosecuted also ?

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

In NSW, at least, there are limits on how long after the work is done
that prosecutions can be started.

In any case, proof will be difficult to come by unless the suspected
person cooperates.

Sylvia.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

After reading the replies to the subject in question apart from a couple of
replies, the old adage applies viz 'Ignorance Is Bliss'. Of course there are
rip off merchants and tradies that don't give stuff. But all in all the
majority of licensed sparkies are competent and trustworthy.  The water
mains in my street is to be replaced. Would any of you 'know alls' know why
before any pipes are cut an electrician must check the switchboard at each
dwelling. A licensed sparkie would tell you..........A plumber might not
know either.

Metro.....

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

It should be noted that in my original reply I said

"If there were approved courses and accreditation for performing trivial
jobs"

I have not suggested that people should just assume they know what
they're doing, nor that a short course would be sufficient to allow a
person safely to perform high voltage wiring at the top of power poles.

But basic home wiring is not difficult, and I can't see any good reason
why there shouldn't be courses available that teach people how to do
this safely, examinations to check that they've learned it, and a
certificate that allows them to do it lawfully.

It's understandable that qualified electricians want to maintain their
monopoly over this work, but far from clear that it's justified on
safety grounds.

Sylvia.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

I ask you again. Where do you draw the line? Especially with a statement
that you make i.e.; ' But basic home wiring is not difficult'. In your
opinion maybe. On what basis do you make that statement. I maintain not to
most folk.  On the basis of the many requests that I get.
'Just put a dimmer in mate and it doesn't work. Has it got instructions with
it? Yeah, but I don't understand them'.  How many times  do you hear of folk
that can't put 'flat packs' together? Or Barbie Vans? Many. As for folk
going to do courses, a joke. The average Jo Blow couldn't be bothered. It's
just not in their nature.............
I won't reply for a while we are off to restore supplies and maybe some
rewires to dwellings in the flooded areas. Any one want to come and help?
Oh sorry you're not licensed.........

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

And what proportion of that is the total? Naturally, people are not
going to be phoning you up and saying "Just put a dimmer in mate, and it
works perfectly." The people who call you having failed to install
something are by definition those who can't do it, so they're not a
representative sample.

As for folk

In which case the situation for them would be no different from what it
is now - they'd be doing the work unlawfully. The fact that some people
would continue to break the law is not a reason not to make such courses
available to those who want to know how to do the job, and to be able to
do so lawfully.

Don't have to be provided you're supervising (in NSW, don't know about
elsewhere).

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/hba1989128/s14.html

Subsection (2).

Sylvia.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

8<----------------------------         ------------------------------

We are.
Thanks for the discussion. It has been an argument in this country for
years. My main gripe is that the difference in rules,regulations and
licenses from state to state. 'tis a farce. I'm just about to retire and
have seen many a change in tradies these past years. I can honestly say that
standard of workmanship is the worse that I have ever seen. Possible because
that all jobs are no longer tested by an authority. It is all tested on a
random basis. Very random...........Got to go.

Metro.........

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

Perhaps that explains why I have had to call tradesmen back to do things
properly.

Once when air-conditioning installers had just laid cables loose across
the roof space - I made them come back and anchor them properly. The
same mob, incidentally, removed a tile from my roof during their work,
and neglected to put it back, letting the rain in. The cost of a
building inspector to check for damage got deducted from their bill.

Another time was when the electricians and gas-fitters installing a
kitchen left the gas pipes for the stove unlawfully obstructing the
power socket that had been installed for the same stove.

It should be noted that in both cases, they were subcontractors, or
perhaps employees. The electricians I've contracted with directly have
all been very concientious, as far as I can tell. Maybe that says
something, though I'm not sure exactly what.

Sylvia

Site Timeline