Electrical licensing FWIW.

Risk is par for the course with the insurance racket. They pay out heaps, and often.

It has been often noted is is cheaper to amputate a diabetic's gangrenous feet than it is to provide suitable footwear to preclude such an outcome.

I like you Sylvia - you come across as being clever.

Want to tallk about self-destructing aircraft engines ? And the related insurance issues !

Reply to
Dianci Maichong

of

I think they would look for any evidence of bodgy wiring during the insurance assessment after a claim and if they didn't find any, they probably would pay the claim. If the electrical system was in no way related to the claim, they may not look at it, unless trying to find an excuse to avoid the claim or find a pattern of bad or illegal workmanship at the premises ?

If they found something bodgy, they would then start tracking down who did it. If it was the homeowner who was unqualified, they would reject the claim ?, if it was a licensed electrician, they would probably try to recover damages from them ? If it was someone unlicensed, but this was not known by the homeowner when they had the work done, I'm not sure what would happen. probably have to pursue that person who did it ?

The unqualified person in question may be prosecuted also ?

Reply to
kreed

Ok.

Do you recall perchance the engine type fitted to AF445/447 lost mid-Atlantic ?

The flaws in the Avionics systems were widely discussed at the time and the French Gov has, under duress, restarted the undersea search for the aircraft wreckage.

But , of course you probably already knew that , neh ?

Reply to
Dianci Maichong

In NSW, at least, there are limits on how long after the work is done that prosecutions can be started.

In any case, proof will be difficult to come by unless the suspected person cooperates.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Well thank you for that snippet.

Bueno Noche.

Reply to
Dianci Maichong

I know of two people who believed they were capable of doing minor wiring. The first one was the guy who wired my house. He fitted nearly all the switches so that they interrupted the neutral. He got away with it. The second guy was the one who believed that switching off the light was all he needed to do before he wired in another light fitting. Of course, had he not been working on the wiring installed by the first guy, he would have got away with it too. He fell off the ladder, spectacularly, and had a crook shoulder for nearly a year from the electrical shock itself.

Reply to
T.T.

"fritz "

** SC did no such thing - you lying prick.

** Absolute, dangerous bullshit.

** With a bunch of restrictions and many rules to be followed for it to be legal.
** They have the same problems as anywhere when electrical work is carried out by a f****it.
** More utterly insane bollocks .... yawn.
** That page outlines the REAL situation in NZ and elsewhere.

It is FULL of dire warnings, restrictions and rules to be followed

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

After reading the replies to the subject in question apart from a couple of replies, the old adage applies viz 'Ignorance Is Bliss'. Of course there are rip off merchants and tradies that don't give stuff. But all in all the majority of licensed sparkies are competent and trustworthy. The water mains in my street is to be replaced. Would any of you 'know alls' know why before any pipes are cut an electrician must check the switchboard at each dwelling. A licensed sparkie would tell you..........A plumber might not know either.

Metro.....

Reply to
Metro

Yawn, who hasn't been done over by someone squarking "safety". highly restricted trade leads to high prices and low quality work.

Reply to
terryc

Don't call me a lying prick, toaster boy. Do you have an electricians ticket ? If you don't, then you were working ILLEGALLY on your toasters.

You obviously did not read what SC had to say on this subject.

Quote "OK, so how have electricians reacted to this campaign? On the whole, they have been utterly negative. They generally refuse to accept the fact that most western countries: (a) permit home-owners to do mains wiring and appliance repairs; and (b) have a better safety record than Australia?s. While denying these facts they go on to claim that conditions in Australia are somehow more dangerous than elsewhere." unquote Read the rest of the SC argument for DIY wiring online.

It is a FACT, toaster boy, that countries with DIY wiring have a BETTER safety record than Australia. Queensland is particularly bad. When you stop DIY because a bunch of electricians want to keep a monopoly you create a situation where MORE people are killed by electrical faults. That is proven, Australia has a higher fatality rate than NZ or any of the other countries that allow DIY wiring.

legal.

They still allow DIY, toaster boy. Anyway, the point is that if you ban DIY the public are deprived of the info to carry out the work safely. "In countries where it is legal for home-owners to do their own wiring, information on how to do it is freely available. For instance, the New Zealand government sells "code of practice" booklets to home-owners there (NZ$5 each), to provide guidance on various aspects of electrical wiring and appliance repairs. So while ever it is illegal in Australia for home-owners to do their own domestic wiring, the information on how to do it is likely to be unavailable."

by a f****it.

What a stupid comment. The rate of deaths is much lower in NZ or other countries that permit DIY wiring than in Australia, toaster boy. As Silicon Chip pointed out, I cannot understand how you could have completly misunderstood what SC said on this subject.

Dream on, toaster boy. Look up the SC website. Search for 'wiring regulations'.

Yes, of course it does. Nobody is suggesting you should attempt DIY wiring without information. The NZ website shows how DIY wiring should work in a country without a totalitarian electricians union, as was clearly explained in Silicon Chip.

Reply to
fritz
8 Another strange one: I was crawling above the ceiling in a very old

Definitely bodgy.........Sounds like they have used uninsulalted copper earth wire. Used mainly in the days when all the wiring was done with imperial gauge wire. These days the earth wire is insulated........

Metro.....

Reply to
Metro

Love this....The last paragraph in your supplied link states Quote:-

What if Something Goes Wrong? If you are unsure about anything, or think that you might have made a mistake, make sure that the main switch is turned off, and call a licensed electrician to check your work and correct it if necessary. If you do work that is unsafe you could seriously injure yourself or a member of your family and you could be prosecuted.

Says it all does it not? Certainly stuffs up your argument.

If you rang me and told me you had made a mistake or were unsure don't expect any help........

Metro..........

Reply to
Metro

"fritz"

( snip piles of putrid, irrational crap)

** This wanker is a DANGEROUS LUNATIC !!
Reply to
Phil Allison

It should be noted that in my original reply I said

"If there were approved courses and accreditation for performing trivial jobs"

I have not suggested that people should just assume they know what they're doing, nor that a short course would be sufficient to allow a person safely to perform high voltage wiring at the top of power poles.

But basic home wiring is not difficult, and I can't see any good reason why there shouldn't be courses available that teach people how to do this safely, examinations to check that they've learned it, and a certificate that allows them to do it lawfully.

It's understandable that qualified electricians want to maintain their monopoly over this work, but far from clear that it's justified on safety grounds.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

hat

of

are

hy

It would be to check if there are any mains earths still connected to the water main as this was common practice in the days of galvanised water pipe. Later they a separate earthing stake due to the widespread use of non-conductive PVC pipe for water.

Reply to
kreed

Sorry to embarrass you, toaster boy. You really are ignorant, read the SC cites and learn something.

fritz

I think you will find that you do not need a license to repair toasters (at least in NSW)

legal.

Australia

out by a f****it.

wiring

understand

Reply to
F Murtz

I ask you again. Where do you draw the line? Especially with a statement that you make i.e.; ' But basic home wiring is not difficult'. In your opinion maybe. On what basis do you make that statement. I maintain not to most folk. On the basis of the many requests that I get. 'Just put a dimmer in mate and it doesn't work. Has it got instructions with it? Yeah, but I don't understand them'. How many times do you hear of folk that can't put 'flat packs' together? Or Barbie Vans? Many. As for folk going to do courses, a joke. The average Jo Blow couldn't be bothered. It's just not in their nature............. I won't reply for a while we are off to restore supplies and maybe some rewires to dwellings in the flooded areas. Any one want to come and help? Oh sorry you're not licensed.........

Reply to
Metro

And what proportion of that is the total? Naturally, people are not going to be phoning you up and saying "Just put a dimmer in mate, and it works perfectly." The people who call you having failed to install something are by definition those who can't do it, so they're not a representative sample.

As for folk

In which case the situation for them would be no different from what it is now - they'd be doing the work unlawfully. The fact that some people would continue to break the law is not a reason not to make such courses available to those who want to know how to do the job, and to be able to do so lawfully.

Don't have to be provided you're supervising (in NSW, don't know about elsewhere).

Subsection (2).

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Of course, someone of your calibre would be well acquainted, if not informed, about the current protocols of CPR.

Might be a good idea to polish your pathetic preferred predilection.

Reply to
Dianci Maichong