Electrical licensing FWIW.

To state it clearly, I am a  licensed electrician. Now in the state of
NSW, where deregulation thrives, this means nothing.

If someone has a gripe about your standard of workmanship having a
license means the someone can seek recompense under law.

So, having a license makes you a target if not a victim.

Without consideration of safety and threats to life and limb what is
to be said about those individuals who show contempt for individuals
like myself, who stand their ground on matters of safety and
regulation.

backyard experts, weekend warriors and cheapskates to boot.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

If there were approved courses and accreditation for performing trivial
jobs such as replacing light switches, then the market would dictate
that such services were cheaper than they actually are when performed by
people who are hugely overqualified for job.

The current legislation is a license to rip people off.

Sylvia.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.
On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 14:28:28 +1100, Sylvia Else

Well now, I feel honoured to have a reply, from you Sylvia.

But what do you actually know about the direction of current flow ?

Are you conventional  ? Or could you be my backdoor girl ?

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

You mean, do I realise that though it's conventionally described as
being from positive to negative, the flow (in metal conductors at least)
consists of the movement of electrons, so the actual flow is in the
other direction? No, of course I don't.

Sylvia

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

Rubbish......I'm a licensed contractor. The amount of times especially at
weekends on Sunday afternoons I get requests from friends etc that after all
else fails I get a call to say 'My fan won't go 'round' 'the new light
fitting doesn't work' 'the breaker keeps tripping after I have just tried to
fix .........' etc. is ridiculous....The same goes for my colleagues
The legislation is not to rip folk off. It is to save lives.  This time of
the year is a ripper with all the so called Chrissy lights installations. I
cringe on seeing some these creations. Some of your trivial tasks that you
suggest are not so trivial to many. Just because the bloody thing works for
you doesn't mean to say it is safe.
Each to his or her own Sylvia...........Stick to yours please.
You imply that people are over qualified to do simple tasks. Where do you
draw that line?

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

That just shows that some people are not competent to do the work. I
didn't suggest otherwise.

They might well be if the people concerned had taken the approved course
I posited.

Just because the bloody thing works for

A line can be drawn, and is in other countries. I can't see why
Australia should be any different.

Sylvia.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

In Britain individuals can do all manners of work at home without a
license, the proviso being, that you are competent, for instance a
person with electrical background may be capable of satisfactory
workmanship in many other trades as they see all the other trades
working alongside and therefore indirectly learn them.
even an office worker, or hobbyist or handyman with a mechanical
aptitude can with research, be perfectly capable of many repairs at home.
How many householders can change a washer or replace a power outlet
safely? there are many, but it is illegal so to do in Australia.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

One thing I find anomalous is that a tradesman in another discpline, for
example plumbing, can get a licence allowing him to perform work of
connecting an appliance to existing wiring, yet the home owner cannot
get a licence to do the same thing.

Sylvia.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

I know of two people who believed they were capable of doing minor wiring.
The first one was the guy who wired my house. He fitted nearly all the
switches so that they interrupted the neutral.
He got away with it.
The second guy was the one who believed that switching off the light was all
he needed to do before he  wired in another light fitting.
Of course, had he not been working on the wiring installed by the first guy,
he would have got away with it too.
He fell off the ladder, spectacularly, and had a crook shoulder for nearly a
year from the electrical shock itself.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

8<---------      -----------------    --------------

Definitely bodgy.........Sounds like they have used uninsulalted copper
earth wire. Used mainly in the days when all the wiring was done with
imperial gauge wire. These days the earth wire is insulated........

Metro.....

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

Sounds like what the yanks call "knob and tube"

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.
On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 18:24:11 +1100, Sylvia Else

Australia is different in many many aspects.

We have never been inclined towards homogeneity and more importantly

very  few of  us have read the highly acclaimed and seminal work

Quantenmechanick Fur Fortgeschrittene

Any body want a copy ?

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

such as replacing light switches, then the market
performed by people who are hugely overqualified for
weekends on Sunday afternoons I get requests from
'round' 'the new light fitting doesn't work' 'the
ridiculous....The same goes for my colleagues
year is a ripper with all the so called Chrissy
trivial tasks that you suggest are not so trivial to
safe.
that line?

Of course you will defend your cushy monopoly - but your argument is bullshit.
Silicon Chip exposed the fallacy of 'safety' lies that are used to justify a
ridiculous position. The 'safety' argument is rubbish.
There are many countries where people can install wiring etc. and - PAY
CLOSE ATTENTION HERE - those countries DO NOT have a safety problem.
So the safety argument is proven bullshit - the facts PROVE it is crap.

Wiring a GPO does not require a union ticket - all you need is some basic
information.
http://www.energysafety.govt.nz/templates/Page____17682.aspx

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

such as replacing light switches, then the market
performed by people who are hugely overqualified for
weekends on Sunday afternoons I get requests from
'round' 'the new light fitting doesn't work' 'the
ridiculous....The same goes for my colleagues
the year is a ripper with all the so called Chrissy
trivial tasks that you suggest are not so trivial to
safe.
draw that line?

Please note: All readers

This  "fritz" talks as if he is substance abuser. Probably alcohol.

A right nasty little bottle of excrement.

May you find a happier life. Somewhere, sometime

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

jobs such as replacing light switches, then the market
performed by people who are hugely overqualified for
weekends on Sunday afternoons I get requests from
'round' 'the new light fitting doesn't work' 'the
ridiculous....The same goes for my colleagues
the year is a ripper with all the so called Chrissy
trivial tasks that you suggest are not so trivial to
safe.
draw that line?

You are really a pathetic debater. Look up ad hominem.
Everyone can clearly see that you are unable to present a logical argument.
I suppose you will accuse Silicon Chip of being on drugs next.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

such as replacing light switches, then the market
performed by people who are hugely overqualified for
weekends on Sunday afternoons I get requests from
'round' 'the new light fitting doesn't work' 'the
ridiculous....The same goes for my colleagues
the year is a ripper with all the so called Chrissy
trivial tasks that you suggest are not so trivial to
safe.
draw that line?

I did'nt see your name in the bibliography

Proceedings of the School for Young High-Energy Physicists.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

jobs such as replacing light switches, then the market
performed by people who are hugely overqualified for
weekends on Sunday afternoons I get requests from
'round' 'the new light fitting doesn't work' 'the
ridiculous....The same goes for my colleagues
the year is a ripper with all the so called Chrissy
trivial tasks that you suggest are not so trivial to
safe.
draw that line?

You don't know my name.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

"fritz "

**  SC did no such thing - you lying prick.

**  Absolute, dangerous bullshit.

** With a bunch of restrictions and many rules to be followed for it to be
legal.

** They have the same problems as anywhere when electrical work is carried
out by a fuckwit.

**  More utterly insane bollocks ....  yawn.

** That page outlines the REAL situation in NZ and elsewhere.

    It is FULL of dire warnings, restrictions and rules to be followed

....  Phil

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

Don't call me a lying prick, toaster boy. Do you have an electricians ticket ?
If you don't, then you were working ILLEGALLY on your toasters.

You obviously did not read what SC had to say on this subject.

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_101731/article.html
 "OK, so how have electricians reacted to this campaign?
On the whole, they have been utterly negative.
They generally refuse to accept the fact that most western countries:
(a) permit home-owners to do mains wiring and appliance repairs; and
(b) have a better safety record than Australias.
While denying these facts they go on to claim that conditions in Australia
are somehow more dangerous than elsewhere."
unquote
Read the rest of the SC argument for DIY wiring online.

It is a FACT, toaster boy, that countries with DIY wiring have a BETTER
safety record than Australia. Queensland is particularly bad. When you
stop DIY because a bunch of electricians want to keep a monopoly you
create a situation where MORE people are killed by electrical faults.
That is proven, Australia has a higher fatality rate than NZ or any of the
other countries that allow DIY wiring.

legal.

They still allow DIY, toaster boy. Anyway, the point is that if you ban DIY
the public are deprived of the info to carry out the work safely.
"In countries where it is legal for home-owners to do their own wiring,
information on how to do it is freely available.
For instance, the New Zealand government sells "code of practice" booklets
to home-owners there (NZ$5 each), to provide guidance on various aspects
of electrical wiring and appliance repairs. So while ever it is illegal in
Australia
for home-owners to do their own domestic wiring, the information on how to
do it is likely to be unavailable."
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_101731/article.html

by a fuckwit.

What a stupid comment.
The rate of deaths is much lower in NZ or other countries that permit DIY wiring
than in Australia, toaster boy. As Silicon Chip pointed out, I cannot understand
how you could have completly misunderstood what SC said on this subject.

Dream on, toaster boy. Look up the SC website. Search for 'wiring regulations'.

Yes, of course it does. Nobody is suggesting you should attempt DIY
wiring without information. The NZ website shows how DIY wiring should
work in a country without a totalitarian electricians union, as was clearly
explained in Silicon Chip.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

Love this....The last paragraph in your supplied link states Quote:-

What if Something Goes Wrong?
If you are unsure about anything, or think that you might have made a
mistake, make sure that the main switch is turned off, and call a licensed
electrician to check your work and correct it if necessary. If you do work
that is unsafe you could seriously injure yourself or a member of your
family and you could be prosecuted.

Says it all does it not? Certainly stuffs up your argument.

If you rang me and told me you had made a mistake or were unsure don't
expect any help........

Site Timeline