Electric Pool Pump

I've got a pool pump that no longer works. When turned on I can here the hum
of power from the motor but it doesn't do anything else.
Is that likely to be a motor burnout, bearings, or something else?

Re: Electric Pool Pump

If the pump is still connected, I'd guess that something is
jammed in the rotor - a small piece of stone for example.

If not, or you remove the rotor and the motor still doesn't
run, the seal has probably failed and the motor bearing is
rusted shut. If it's bad enough to stop the motor, it's bad
enough to need replacing.

Apart from that, there's a variety of afflictions that are
general motor failures, nothing to do with pool pumps. But
my bet is on the two suggestions above.

Clifford Heath.

Re: Electric Pool Pump

jammed rotor or seized bearings. if you can get it to spin freely with
no power it should run.

Re: Electric Pool Pump

If the pump spins freely, then it is most likely the starting capacitor.
If you apply power and start to spin it by hand (watch your fingers
etc), it should keep spinning. If so then replace the starting cap.

David

Re: Electric Pool Pump
tya. It was a capacitor, cost $90 to repair.

Site Timeline