Electric 'noise' in my apartment

I have a really annoying problem in my apartment. MY TV picks up most
electrical noise from other apartments, from me switching other equipment
on/off , from upstairs laundromat etc.. The noise appears as horizontal
lines of snow.

The other problem is that my PC sound setup is also affected - I can hear a
click at the same time I see the noise lines on the TV.

I've tried surge suppressors, fancy powerboard but they don't really help
and I don't have enough knowledge on this matter. If anyone can help I'd
appreciate it.

thanks

Re: Electric 'noise' in my apartment

"Shadowking"

** This is very common with indoor TV antennas  -  if there is no roof top
one to use then its time to invest in a digital Set Top Box.  DSE have a
very good one for about  $ 145.

**  That is a harder one -  usually the only complete cure is to fit
suppression caps to the switches inside the offending appliances .

............   Phil

Re: Electric 'noise' in my apartment

A digital set top (DST) box wont help if the noise is RF spark related. DST
boxes are great for low level reception issues but mine still stumbles
whenever I turn on an adjacent light switch. But yes, only caps at the
source of the noise will cure the RF interference issue. Older washing
machines are a very likely culprit.

Re: Electric 'noise' in my apartment

"Heywood Jablome"

 **   Yes and no.

If the RF noise burst is intense, then the pic on a ( decent) STB will just
momentarily freeze  -  this may easily go unnoticed by a viewer.

However, the bright flash on the screen with analogue TV  "bugs" some
olk  -  massively.

 **   Agreed   - plus fridges and fluoro lights.

...........    Phil

Re: Electric 'noise' in my apartment

A mains line filter might be worth trying in case the crap is coming in that
way

David

Re: Electric 'noise' in my apartment

Why do they call them apartments when they are not very far apart? They
should call them closements.

Re: Electric 'noise' in my apartment

"Heywood Jablome"

 **  Cos they keep the occupants "apart "   - silly.

Re: Electric 'noise' in my apartment

I have a DSE $148 STB and my aerial is sitting in my roof space.
Will mounting the aerial on the roof stop/reduce interference from 240v
being switched and interference from the electric trains?

--
remove n u m b e r s to reply