EEV blog nonsense ?

Mike's vids seem quite good. Shame though, saying 'leds' for LEDs is a pet peeve of mine.

Oh well.

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

I'm pretty sure we've been here before. :)

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Perhaps this guy

axolotyl

Thought she was going to wear the table and the bottom of the radio out. She seems to like that soddering. I have only watched 10 minute so far but will get back to it.

Reply to
F Murtz

I'm off to listen to some L.E.D Zeppelin.

Reply to
Jeßus

Crikey... not what I expected at all.

Reply to
Clocky

Nor me.

check out his other videos, he's a very clued up bloke.

Reply to
axolotyl

Yeah we have - I didn't realise it was the same guy until he said 'leds' then I realised ... ;)

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

Was just thinking about finding my Zepplin CDs last night actually when I upgraded the amplification on my stereo. Funny how an improvement in sound quality makes you want to listen to old favourites.

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

After hearing about him talking about the 'toob' and 'tooner' I knew it was only a matter of time until he got to 'soddering'. :-/

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

What, are you all misogynists?

Cheers,
Chris.
Reply to
Chris

Do ya think he gets the fashion sense from "The Sound of Music" ??

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

I was leaning toward The Wizard of Oz.

Reply to
axolotyl

I've been following her on and off since her Commodore days.

Reply to
Clocky

There are pros and cons to doing that, but I generally agree. I was never particularly impressed with the sound quality of Led Zepp's recordings though, TBH. Page's guitar in particular sounds thin and reedy. OTOH, my go-to LZ album is Physical Graffiti... love it.

What gives me the s**ts with many modern recordings is that they're so bass-heavy, which on my system has me running for the tone controls because the house is about to shake apart... a lot of music (new and old) actually sucks on a good system.

Reply to
Jeßus

I am disappointed that they don't make the same mistake when pronouncing "flux".

Reply to
Chris Jones

This Canadian expresses himself in a unique kind of way in terms of the language he uses at times (I think anyway).

Clocky

You're right. Increasingly I'm finding that I'm listening to well-mastered and produced music over (some) old favourites. I was just explaining this to a friend the other day, saying that the improvements I've made to the stereo don't translate equally across all CDs. Some are still great music but they actually sound worse (comparatively) with a better system.

Heh! That's a nasty characteristic for a speaker.

Speaking of quasi-ribbon tweeters a couple of years back I picked up a small Philips home theatre setup (LX700

). Not because I wanted a small home theatre but for the price I paid (~NZ$50) I got five dipole 'ribbon' tweeters out of it. Since then I've bought a couple more of the speaker sets from people who blew up the amplifier (it suffers from inadequate heatsinking on a couple of parts, mainly in its SMPS).

The tweeters sound great - rare earth magnets have got so much more powerful since those EMIT tweeters were made) but I didn't finish any project with them - yet! (Never say never.) My biggest issue is with the woodwork for home made speakers. My cheap home handyman rip tablesaw isn't accurate enough for cutting larger panels square. Also I recently bought the first pair of floorstanders I've ever owned that I think sound better than any I could make.

However I have a bookshelf speaker project I want to finish using those tweeters and four 50w 3" Philips mid-bass units a side. I've always liked the idea of spreading the cone area across multiple drivers to increase response times and minimise frontal area / baffle step diffraction. That should be doable as the woodwork will all be small pieces. I still haven't decided if I'm going to use the tweeters as dipoles or close the backs, or how many tweeters to use on each side.

Cheers,

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

Yeah, see my previous reply in this thread. I've been dissapointed with a couple of CDs lately that I've always really liked but, with mostly transapent playback gear and plenty of power sound lacking.

Physical Graffiti *is* great. (Damn now I'm going to have to dig that out and have a listen. ;-) )

I freakin' hate that too! Especially as I've been mostly listening using my 'new' amplification using a very basic preamp that only has a volume control. Luckilly there are very few albums that I like that were made later than the early 90s so I've just been ignoring those for now.

I'm pleased though that at least now it *is* the house and wondows that suffer rather than my speakers. I recently bought a pair of Sony SSK70EDs that handle pretty much everything I can throw at them, sound clean and clear and image like nothing I've heard costing under $10K. Now I just wish I'd managed to get some SSK90EDs. These are very under-rated speakers. Sony made them in a vain effort to illustrate to the public the improvements that SACDs bought to the table over standard CDs. Unfortunately for Sony the public were moving in the opposite direction, going for pocket-sized music and 'fidelity' so the speakers were discontinued (except in Japan where they still make a piano finish version of the SSK range).

Cheers,

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."