EEV blog nonsense ?

Hi,

most of you know former regular on this NG, David L Jones, who reinvented h imself as a video star with his EEVblog site. I stumbled on one of his many hundreds of blogs recently - please take a look.

pear-noisy/

The blog attempts to explode a "myth" about analogue and digital scopes in relation to display noise - particularly that DSOs are inherently noisier.

While I am not sure just what Dave is trying to prove, some of his assertio ns are very dubious.

The facts are that an analogue scope normally has a sharp trace revealing a great more detail of waveform being viewed. This is also a direct result o f having:

  1. Constant bandwidth ( 20,50,100MHz ) plus the same rise time at all sweep speeds.

  1. Continuous vertical screen resolution of around 1 part in a thousand.

  2. Absence of any artefacts due to sampling or quantising.

All this results in an accurate display of any continuous signal, including random noise. The clean trace shown on an analogue scope with no input is because there is no noise to be seen.

FYI: This might seem at odds with an input impedance of 1Mohm and bandwidth of 50MHz which has a calculated thermal noise of almost 1mV rms - with reg ular peaks over 4mV. The simple answer is that 1Mohm is in parallel with 20 pF, so the impedance falls steadily from 8kHz onwards down to 160 ohms at 5

0MHz. Thermal noise is reduced by this to about 15uV rms.

The random noise spiking seen in the traces of the DSOs in the blog is main ly due to quantising errors plus the discontinuous, vertical screen resolut ion of only 200 pixels in case of two of them. When the sampled value falls between pixels, random toggling occurs.

Lastly, when Dave turns up the brightness on his Tek 2225, you see the trac e thicken ( due to mutual repulsion between electrons in the beam ) and als o some background pattern appears.

The background pattern is in the CRT's anti glare screen, which lights up w hen you do that revealing any imperfections in the plastic. He should have detached it.

Also when he uses the digital camera, the image becomes over exposed which again results in trace thickening. The story about "revealing missing noise " is a furphy.

BTW:

In the first few second of this blog on the Tek 2225, Dave seems to contrad ict himself.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Indeed. For a while I managed to put up with his really annoying voice and watched several of his videos trying to educate myself further. However he talks so much s**te and makes so many mistakes (sometimes fixing them with text overlays afterwards or conceeding points in the comments section) that I decided not to carry on torturing myself with his whine.

I dare say that you're correct - my experience with EEV blog says you are. I can't bring myself to listen to him long enough to check.

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

** Yes - unscripted presentations on video are usually tedious and often painful to watch. In that respect, Dave is not much worse than many others.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but in the case of this vid Dave almost had me believing him for a few minutes. So much so, I experimented with my Rigol and BWD scopes to see if any of it was for real - finally convincing myself that it wasn't.

In any case, how unlikely would it be for Dave or anyone to come up with a fundamental truth about analogue scopes that has gone unnoticed for so long by millions of others ?

BTW:

Far as I can tell, no-one is manufacturing analogue scopes any more despite the fact that most agree they have unique capabilities when it comes to viewing analogue signals.

So I assume the manufacture of suitable CRTs and other essential parts has stopped too. Keeping the old ones going will become near impossible in the future.

This is not a good thing.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

At the end of the day he may make some mistakes (who doesn't) but to give him credit he's build a large following and has probably contributed quite a bit to folk learning more and doing more around electronics. His forum is very active, aus.electronics is dead. :(

It seems odd that one would find fault and start a post on Usenet about it.

Reply to
axolotyl

You'd think he would take it up with Dave, he's quite open to discussion.

Reply to
Clocky

It seemed to me like he was seeing if others thought there was substance to his take on things first. Dave can be a bit OTT.

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

ed himself as a video star with his EEVblog site. I stumbled on one of his many hundreds of blogs recently - please take a look.

s-appear-noisy/

in relation to display noise - particularly that DSOs are inherently noisi er.

rtions are very dubious.

ng a great more detail of waveform being viewed. This is also a direct resu lt of having:

weep speeds.

.

[...]

tradict himself.

** AFAIK, EEVblog Forum posters are predominately Yanks and it's moderated by Dave himself as the "administrator".

At the moment, I have no great wish to join up and suspect I might even be barred anyhow. OTOH, David L. Jones can appear here any time he cares to.

t.

** Not odd at all, the topic itself is very interesting - Analogue V. Digit al scope performance is red hot, debatable stuff these days.

BTW

Do I detect a hint of " I *heart* Dave " going on ??

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

These guys still do.

JW

I haven't done a head count but the mix seems pretty even, plenty of Aussies.

Bah! Just create a nym.

I still keep my old Philips analog CRO around, it's good for some jobs.

Not really he's entertaining and seems motivated by the right things. My voice is like his, hence me not doing videos....

Reply to
axolotyl

Yeah I guess that is fair enough, I wasn't really being critical but just making the point that Dave is open to discussion unlike some people.

Dave can be a bit OTT.

No argument there. It's certainly a style that can grate but he makes no apologies for it nor does he have to given his success.

Reply to
Clocky

painful to watch. In that respect, Dave is not much worse than many others.

It's simply that his presentation style is more love or hate than most. I always suspected that it appealed more to Americans, as they more often tend towards exaggeration more than other major English speaking cultures. For me the result is that I can quite enjoy similar videos by Mike Harrison (mikes electric stuff), but I just can't hang in there with D. Jones.

It's similar to that American show on 7two called "Mysteries of the Underworld" or something equally ridiculous. The places shown are often (though not always) very interesting and historically informative, but the hyped up presentation is so bad that I've never been able to sit through a whole one. At the same time it's been going for a while now, so obviously a lot of people are drawn in by the hype.

Give it a calm monotone commentary and excessively long cuts and I'd find it most enjoyable, while 90% of the audience falls asleep.

I wouldn't be too worried. While a few will deliberately stick with CRTs, most will continue along the eternal upgrade ritual and consider anything with a deflection coil to be just lump of old junk. Hopefully the result will be that lots of old CROs will be circulating for the same sort of price that would have bought a replacement part back when they were available, and will do so for a good few decades.

Consider how vintage television restorers still manage to find parts like CRTs for their old 50s TVs.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

pite

has

the

** Huh ??

There are no deflection coils inside an analogue scope - beam focusing and deflection is completely electrostatic.

FYI:

I can well understand colour LCD screens taking over for TV receivers - as there are almost no draw backs involved, only advantages.

The situation with scopes however is quite different, analogue and DSO inst ruments are not equivalent to each other.

All that has changed is that entry level DSOs, bristling with wiz-bang feat ures, have recently dropped to a price less than that of a typical 20MHz an alogue scope. Such DSOs are now easily the cheapest option and sales of ana logue scopes has fallen to almost nil.

One of the biggest markets for new scopes is in education where the low pri ce and extra measurement capabilities of DSOs mean they win the purchase co ntracts every time. The poor students get no say.

Do Tafes and Universities even teach analogue electronics any more ?

It hasn't gone away you know.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Sorry, I've spent more time looking at TV circuitry than CRO. Pretend I said "anything that uses flying electrons".

Well obviously they'd have to. However it may well have been dropped from many courses where it's now thought that all you need to know is how to program a microcontroller.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Heh! A wise man. ;-)

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

True. Just goes to show that one man's meat is indeed another mans poison.

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

It sounds like we have quite a bit in common then. I could have written that. Thanks for the heads up on Mike's Electric Stuff, I'm heading off to check him out now.

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

** Maybe you would prefer John Ward:

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Or Big Clive:

Chris Jones

Thanks, though actually I'm pretty right for videos. As far as YouTube videos go I really only check for new videos once a month or longer, and by then Mike H. has usually put up another one or two, which is all I need. In fact we're surprisingly in sync, often after a month or more I'll check his videos and he's uploaded some just a few hours ago, and after not checking for a couple of months (when I got his last videos fresh off the press) I notice now that he's put up a new one only six days ago.

In any case I've got quite a collection of obscure junk to play with, pull apart, and reverse engineer in real life. Watching videos about it instead is really just pathetic lazynes. :)

--

Epic fail(the presenter)

Reply to
F Murtz