eee PC? NO eee box!

Is this where PC boxes are heading?
$420AUD for a PC that runs on 20W of power, and can bolt to the back of
an LCD monitor.

It's the Asus EEE revolution doing it's thing again.

http://event.asus.com/eeepc/microsites/eeebox/en/index.html
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewforum.php?id51 %

what's more, they are sticking with XP as an operating system.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: eee PC? NO eee box!
MM xp as a reasonably stable platform or that other thing > resource
hungry unstable shitty change because they can ?
  the decision is easy

Re: eee PC? NO eee box!

EE wil have a hard time compared to this:
http://www.harveynorman.com.au/currentpromotions/index.html#row1

$500  Compaq Presario C793VU Intel® Celeron™ 2.13GHZ, 1GB RAM, 120GB
HDD, DVD Burner, 15.4" Screen,
Windows® Vista™ Basic. FF409PA

Even if you hate vista, you can replace it with Linux and it still
blows all over the EE. As a bonus you also get keyboard, monitor and
dvd burner

Re: eee PC? NO eee box!

Whilst what you say is true... you are not comparing like with like...

the Ebox is a small footprint PC that can be bolted onto an LCD screen
so that it is hidden away from view.

No matter what you do a notebook PC will take up more desk real estate
that the ebox...

I see applications in my work environment like building it with a fold
down LCD screen and small k/b into a 1 or 2 RU rackmount..  Couple it
with a KVM and have several in the 2 RU case. This would make a very
cheap monitor PC or print server or what ever...

Also could work as a HTPC  (not sure if it is powerful enough) but I am
sure it could have uses in embedded applications as well

Mik

Re: eee PC? NO eee box!

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here Don. Since the
mini-computer was launched there has always been a trade-off between
computing power, size and price. For example, at about the same price
after adding XP and a wireless N adaptor, you can have a far more
powerful system if you don't mind the big ugly case
<http://tinyurl.com/6k9prv .
That's probably because the computer is not powerful enough to run
Vista. Vista is now cheaper than XP.

Re: eee PC? NO eee box!

Sure David, it isn't a powerful beast, but I can imagine that within 5
years, this may well be the size of the average PC box. It is the way it
is heading. External USB DVD/CD/RW drives are very cheap, I now carry
one with me on my travels.

All you need is either a rental LCD screen from the motel, or a decent
DVI to TV converter for traveling, and you can forget the notebook.

Maybe a 7" to 10" VGA LCD carry screen may fit the bill.
This way, you just upgrade a decent mini-box when you need to, or when
the next wizz-bang unit comes along.

I also love the fact that the standard drive is removable. Opens up a
lot of possibilities.

Will I be buying an EEE Box? Possibly not. A little short on grunt for
the price at the moment.

OH, the Vista argument :-)
I have read so much against Vista, that I am holding out for W7, just my
personal opinion.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie