eee PC? NO eee box!

Is this where PC boxes are heading? $420AUD for a PC that runs on 20W of power, and can bolt to the back of an LCD monitor.

It's the Asus EEE revolution doing it's thing again.

what's more, they are sticking with XP as an operating system.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

Xbee Wireless Modules, and low cost Interface Boards.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/xbee-boards.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

MM xp as a reasonably stable platform or that other thing > resource hungry unstable shitty change because they can ? the decision is easy

Reply to
atec77

EE wil have a hard time compared to this:

$500 Compaq Presario C793VU Intel® Celeron? 2.13GHZ, 1GB RAM, 120GB HDD, DVD Burner, 15.4" Screen, Windows® Vista? Basic. FF409PA

Even if you hate vista, you can replace it with Linux and it still blows all over the EE. As a bonus you also get keyboard, monitor and dvd burner

Reply to
The Real Andy

Whilst what you say is true... you are not comparing like with like...

the Ebox is a small footprint PC that can be bolted onto an LCD screen so that it is hidden away from view.

No matter what you do a notebook PC will take up more desk real estate that the ebox...

I see applications in my work environment like building it with a fold down LCD screen and small k/b into a 1 or 2 RU rackmount.. Couple it with a KVM and have several in the 2 RU case. This would make a very cheap monitor PC or print server or what ever...

Also could work as a HTPC (not sure if it is powerful enough) but I am sure it could have uses in embedded applications as well

Mik

Reply to
Mik DaDik

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here Don. Since the mini-computer was launched there has always been a trade-off between computing power, size and price. For example, at about the same price after adding XP and a wireless N adaptor, you can have a far more powerful system if you don't mind the big ugly case .

That's probably because the computer is not powerful enough to run Vista. Vista is now cheaper than XP.

Reply to
David Segall

Sure David, it isn't a powerful beast, but I can imagine that within 5 years, this may well be the size of the average PC box. It is the way it is heading. External USB DVD/CD/RW drives are very cheap, I now carry one with me on my travels.

All you need is either a rental LCD screen from the motel, or a decent DVI to TV converter for traveling, and you can forget the notebook.

Maybe a 7" to 10" VGA LCD carry screen may fit the bill. This way, you just upgrade a decent mini-box when you need to, or when the next wizz-bang unit comes along.

I also love the fact that the standard drive is removable. Opens up a lot of possibilities.

Will I be buying an EEE Box? Possibly not. A little short on grunt for the price at the moment.

OH, the Vista argument :-) I have read so much against Vista, that I am holding out for W7, just my personal opinion.

Cheers Don...