ebay think a crystal is a transmitter

I need a laff now and again, and the dickheads at ebay did it again:

It has come to our attention that your account has been in violation of our Electronics Equipment policies on more than one occasion.

Rather than suspend your eBay account, I wanted to take the time to give you a formal warning. Any future violations of this policy may result in the suspension of your account. Please understand that this is not a threat, but is meant as a courtesy.

If you are unsure, or if you have a questionable item, rather than risking further violations and account suspension, it would be best for you to write to us about the item before listing it. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

You may contact us through the following Web page:

Ask about selling (for sellers only) > Listing and managing your item > Is this item allowed or prohibited?

We respect and value you as an important member of the eBay community, and would like to keep that relationship intact.

Thank you for your cooperation in this important matter.

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department) eBay Inc

Reply to
Ed ()

Did you suggest they go f*ck 'emselves and explain why ?

Reply to
UhU

I gather from the above header that the sale of transmitters on e-bay is prohibited?

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

ebay hit me 'cause they said any mention of freqs out of bounds of the standard cb freqs is bad, like 27.095, 29.195 or 27.880Mhz xtals.

non too smart -methinks

Reply to
Ed ()

I understand ebay scan ads. using software so just write them accordingly:

Crystal for sale - Twenty seven.095 Meg. cyc.

or whatever.

Mike Harding

Reply to
Mike Harding

Ebay use their own methods and respond to the complaints of others. They are frightened by such terms as "re programming" , "police" etc being used in ads. Legally I can see their point...sort of. Their policy is to withdraw any ads that look sus, and then let the vendor argue that they aren't. (Labour saving ) My experience is that they will usually suggest re wording or deleting any reference to the offending bit. They don't really want to lose money. When I pointed out that technically any radio is capable of being changed to do illegal things they said perhaps, but you can't advertise the fact. I am just waiting for a disgruntled vendor advertising that "this radio is suitable for the budding terrorist" :))) But I suppose asio would be at their door quicksmart. Its probably the same as making a silly joke at airports. No one has a sense of humour anymore, we're all paranoid. What a world !

Reply to
Jim

with airports and jokes, its not just now

I can remember being at the Brisbane airport in 1979-80 and the public phone boxes had notices reminding of the serious penalties for telephone bomb threats (hoax or not) involving aircraft.

Also from around that time was a sign near either the baggage drop off or boarding area saying "please - no jokes - all statements made to staff are taken seriously"

Actually there were quite a few hijackings, bombings and so on then too around the world. Seems that there is nothing new in the world, just the names of the terrorists change, but their enemy pretty much still seems to be the USA and its interests.

Reply to
KLR

give

in

are

wording

is

Thats really interesting, as I went o/s in 77 and don't remember any warnings at Sydney , London etc. Plenty of skittish guards in various airports, landing in Bahrain (sp?) and having to draw the blinds (I peeked :). I do remember being a little worried about the IRA in the UK but thats about it. Maybe I was too zonked out by work and flying to see it.

Reply to
Jim

"Ed ()"

** 27.095 MHz is a model control frequency (et alia) - such crystals are sold at hobby shops. 29.195 MHz is allocated to Amateur Radio license holders - maybe you meant 27.195 another model frequency ??

27.880 MHz is a marine CB frequency.

** Quite asinine - tell them the frequencies are ones that are on open retail sale.

.............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

this is their automated reason:

We regret to inform you that your eBay auction:

Crystals 27MHz ----------------

has been removed from the site by eBay Customer Support. All fees associated with this auction have been credited to your account.

The item you have listed does not appear to be consistent with eBay guidelines.

Equipment designed or primarily considered for use in the 10 metre Amateur Radio band will not be allowed on eBay if it is considered at eBay's discretion, that the listing is targeting the 11 metre or CB radio band. Federal legislation provides that the usage of or possession of equipment capable of transmitting on the Amateur Radio band is limited to licenced operators only and sellers should take all care to provide this information in their listings.

Users may not list a high frequency transceiver that is designed to operate on frequencies outside of the ARS bands, if it has not been issued a grant of equipment authorization for the radio service(s) in which the transmitter is capable of operating.

The Citizens Band radios must only be operated on designated channels in two distinct frequency bands:

HF - 26.965 MHz to 27.405 MHz (inclusive); and UHF - 476.425 MHz to 477.400 MHz (inclusive).

Sellers can determine if their equipment complies with the relevant standard by referring to a label that is attached to the back of the radio. If there is no label on the radio, there may be doubt about whether the device complies with the required operating standard, in this situation we encourage you to contact the ACA for more information and review the Radiocommunications (Citizen Band Radio Stations) Class Licence:

For information on our Electronics Equipment policy, please go to:

For information on infringing, prohibited or questionable items, please view:

For more information on why eBay has ended an auction, please visit:

Future auctions listed that fail to meet our listing guidelines will be ended early and repeated violations may jeopardize your account status. We value you as a member of our community and wish to continue our relationship, so we respectfully ask you to refrain from any violations of the Listing Policies or User Agreement in the future.

We thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department) eBay Inc

Reply to
Ed ()

: >

: Did you suggest they go f*ck 'emselves and explain why ?

i wasn't nice to them, but i respect their tolerance for abusive messages, they must get a lot

================================ Message: I refer to listing ---- Crystals 27MHz ------------------------ which you removed I even put in extra information in the listing for you dudes but it seems no-one read it (sigh) I have read your policy, the CRYSTALS listed are no problem. Your policy reasons for removing the listing do not pertain to my listing. I would like you to tell me what part of the listing was the problem asap. please return the listing and inform my buyer(s)

There is a serious problem with your system that needs to be FIXED UP as these listing removals are pissing me off.

Hello ---- Thank you for writing to eBay regarding the removal of your item. Since eBay does not directly handle the merchandise that is offered for sale, we rely on information contained in the listing to make many determinations if an item is in violation.

In regards to your listing, and after discussion with my peers, there was confusion and an oversight on our part when the listing was reviewed as it pertained on a frequency level.

Having said that, we apologize for the inconvenience and you are welcome to relist the item.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter. Regards,

--
eBay Customer Support