Earth Hour headache for power suppliers - Page 4

Re: Earth Hour headache for power suppliers

That's true to a point, in the sense that it allows stations that were
not built as baseload stations to run for more of the time, and
therefore more efficiently use their capital. Thought there's a limit to
that, because they're not usually designed to run 24/7.

It defers it to some degree, but the more you run what were designed as
non-baseload plants, the faster they wear out.

A more signficant reason for shifting loads to off-peak times is that it
reduces the transmission infrastructure required - though that is
largely dictated by airconditioning loads on hot days. Of course, it
helps if people aren't running their pool pumps at the same time.

If people don't want coal, then we should cut to the chase and build
nuclear.

The problem is that the Greenies keep feeding the disinformation line to
the effect that baseload power can be supplied by solar and windfarms,
which it can't, quite apart from the cost.

Sylvia.

Re: Earth Hour headache for power suppliers

Actually solar, wind, tidal, geothermal etc *are* base load power, just not
very reliable ones! You need FAR more standby generation like gas generators
to cope with periods where solar, wind, tidal etc, are going against you.
Geothermal is more reliable however and used fairly extensively in NZ.

MrT.

Re: Earth Hour headache for power suppliers

**No Sylvia, that's YOUR disinformation. Keep sprouting the bullshit though.
There are other non-polluting (zero CO2 emission) systems available that can
easily do base load capacity. You've been informed of this in the past (many
times). Do you think that we've forgotten already?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Earth Hour headache for power suppliers

Oh great, so we can just jump on to another peak-oil like gravy train that
will eventually end!
How long do you think the cheap nuke fuel is going to last? It'll be cheap
for you, but not your grandkids.
Where are they going to put the waste long-term?, and how much is that going
to cost? (Hint, no one's actually figured that one out yet)

Renewable is the only sensible way to go.

There are other forms of renewable energy too you know. Invest properly in
more research and then combine them all and it's quite possible to
tranistion fully to renewable over time.

Dave.

Re: Earth Hour headache for power suppliers

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environment/earth-hour/earth-hour-headache-for-power-suppliers-20100326-r37h.html

Nuh. Nothing that a good operator couldn't handle. He'd have to put his
coffee and sports mag down for a bit.

Re: Earth Hour headache for power suppliers

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environment/earth-hour/earth-hour-headache-for-power-suppliers-20100326-r37h.html

That view seems well supported by the graph I posted. The media article
referred to dispatching increased frequency control sevices, and running
the voltage at the lower end of its permitted range. I can only assume
the AEMO were preparing for a much larger popular support for Earth Hour
than it actually got. Maybe in future years they'll just ignore it.

Sylvia.

Re: Earth Hour headache for power suppliers

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environment/earth-hour/earth-hour-headache-for-power-suppliers-20100326-r37h.html

Coal fired turbines take about 72 hours to ramp up / down. They normally
run at an average = to market demand, during peak times the operators of
the power stations (hello Macquarie Generation) wait for the price of
power on the national grid to rise a little bit then they switch on the
Gas powered turbines and make a half a mil and then switch em back off
as the peak subsides.

Re: Earth Hour headache for power suppliers

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environment/earth-hour/earth-hour-headache-for-power-suppliers-20100326-r37h.html

That's for ordinary dispatched supply, but in addition there are
frequency control services, which are generators whose power output is
adjusted on the fly to maintain the frequency - essentially they're
adjusting to match second by second variations in demand. Running
generators that way is more expensive, so owners have to be paid extra
to do it, and AEMO only contracts for the maximum amount of variation it
expects to see.

Sylvia.

Site Timeline