EA Mini-Scamp

I built a Scamp from the Nat Semi eval kit around about 1977. It didn't have a fancy case like this, but it did have an ASR-33 as I/O device.

Reply to
keithr

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

This "Mini-Scamp is a famous design published in EA magazine, and sold as a kit by Dick Smith. It has its own historical significance above and beyond all those eval kits around at the time.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Just one little question - has anyone seen a SC/MP micro in any real design, not just in the Mini-Scamp and on evaluation boards? I never have, so I'm just curious.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

If an EA miniscamp can go for $500, an EA EDUC-8 would really be worth something !

My first assembler language programming was on a Signetics 2650 eval system (8k ram, load/save to cassette tape) in early 1977, then I moved on to one of the first Apple II (6502 cpu) to arrive in aus later that year or early 1978 (??). I used the M6800 eval kit in

1980, and the DREAM o/s author (Michael Bauer) was one of my tutors at Uni when it came out. Programmed lots of other computers too in the late 70s, from micros up to mainframes, and haven't stopped doing it!

Glenn.

Reply to
glenbadd

Lol, one year I binned about 20 NEC APCIV (286) computers then found that State Rail had rolled them out as the backbone of some new train information system. we can't all be lucky.

Reply to
Terryc

Terryc wrote in news:47d0a715$0$55585 $ snipped-for-privacy@pit-reader.telstra.net:

Actually, those things didn't have an 80286 in them, they had a V.20 or a V.30 in them (a clone of the 286).

GB

-- .sig

Reply to
GB

I built that one too, but before that I built the 'baby 2650' EA project. It only had 256 bytes (1/4k!) of RAM, and 64 bytes of that were used by the monitor program, Pipbug. I still managed to write a 'Nim' game program within the remaining 200-odd bytes, though ! Still got it somewhere in the files.....

Reply to
fritz

Can't people stop quoting this deranged individual, so that those of us who've killfiled him can be in peace on this ng?

Reply to
Smoky

I can understand that! It took several months for me to get it going at the time (hey, I was 16 or so - gimme a break).

It was all down to the (alleged!) self-stripping-through-heat enameled wire used to make the 1000 ;-) or so links one the single sided PCB. Turns out it didn't, most of the time!

Chris.

Reply to
chris

Ebay:

It didn't sell :-(

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Ebay:

It's back!

$800 and it's all yours with Buy-It-Now

"Last time offered. Not to be relisted again!!"

Does that mean it'll get binned if it doesn't sell this time?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Ebay:

There seems to be a lot of old computers looking for homes right now.

Have a look at

Bob Parker

Ebay:

Yes, it's not the first time that museum has been given its marching orders. If they were old micros then you'd have people falling over themselves, but looks like no-one wants the old mainframe and mini stuff. Scrap metal value only I'm afraid. I'm surprised the Power House museum won't take some of it. With their big warehouse at Castle Hill (now open to the public) they could easily save some of it.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

If I'm not very much mistaken, the racks pictured look like they are all full of DEC gear, circa mid to late 70's, to early 1980's. Definitely a pdp 11/34 in there. (bottom left) can't quite place the one bottom right.

"Some of the collection's earliest bits and pieces include parts of George Julius's totalisator, that counted tickets and calculated changing odds at horseraces. Mr Julius was the first chairman of the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, later to become the CSIRO."

I would like to think that this was worth preserving. One of Australia's greatest inventors, and most Australian's have never heard of him. Came up with an electro-mechanical vote counter in 1913, and turned it into the world's first tote machine. Sold and installed them world wide. (ATL)

But then, I'm biased, I worked there for 25 years. :-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Affiliate Program:   http://www.dontronics.com/affiliate
Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

Parallax Propeller Powered .96" OLED module
http://tinyurl.com/2vr2gr
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Ebay:

It's been saved from the dumpster!, someone has put in a bid. But there is still plenty of time to trump them with the Buy-It-Now option.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

It ended up fetching $612. Only 2 bidders.

rowan194