EA Mini-Scamp - Page 2

Re: EA Mini-Scamp

When that DREAM first came out as a kit, we were calling it NIGHTMARE in
the shop after a couple of weeks.

Re: EA Mini-Scamp

I can understand that! It took several months for me to get it going at
the time (hey, I was 16 or so - gimme a break).

It was all down to the (alleged!) self-stripping-through-heat enameled
wire used to make the 1000 ;-) or so links one the single sided PCB.
Turns out it didn't, most of the time!

Chris.

Re: EA Mini-Scamp

    Hmm I threw away three pallets of Trash 80 models 1,2 and 3 as
well as the 240V powered 6 meg hard disk with glass lid on it to allow
viewing of the spinny bits. Also threw away lots of model 1000 and 2000
Tandy's.

Re: EA Mini-Scamp

It's only because most people do this, that makes those remaining worth
anything at all.
And you still need to find a sucker, I mean buyer :-)

MrT.

Re: EA Mini-Scamp

Lol, one year I binned about 20 NEC APCIV (286) computers then found
that State Rail had rolled them out as the backbone of some new train
information system. we can't all be lucky.

Re: EA Mini-Scamp
$c30e37c6@pit-reader.telstra.net:

 Actually, those things didn't have an 80286 in them, they had a V.20
or a V.30 in them (a clone of the 286).

GB
--
.sig

Re: EA Mini-Scamp
For those interested, I came across an original EA Mini-Scamp computer

Time will tell I guess, but early computers like this are popular and
can often fetch high prices with collectors.

Dave.

Re: EA Mini-Scamp

:For those interested, I came across an original EA Mini-Scamp computer
:on Ebay:
:http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-Scamp-Micro-Computer-circa-1978-RARE_W0QQitemZ160213871081QQihZ006QQcategoryZ1247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
:
:I know a few people on here are into this sort of stuff so thought I'd
:point it out.
:
:The unit has certainly appreciated in value if it goes for $500
:
:Dave.

I wonder what my Natsemi SC/MP Microprocessor Applications Handbook would fetch
nowadays :-)

(original cost US$5.00)

Re: EA Mini-Scamp

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-Scamp-Micro-Computer-circa-1978-RARE_W0QQitemZ160213871081QQihZ006QQcategoryZ1247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I built a Scamp from the Nat Semi eval kit around about 1977. It didn't have
a fancy case like this, but it did have an ASR-33 as I/O device.

Re: EA Mini-Scamp

This "Mini-Scamp is a famous design published in EA magazine, and sold
as a kit by Dick Smith.
It has its own historical significance above and beyond all those eval
kits around at the time.

Dave.

Re: EA Mini-Scamp

     Just one little question - has anyone seen a SC/MP micro in any
real design, not just in the Mini-Scamp and on evaluation boards? I
never have, so I'm just curious.

Bob

Re: EA Mini-Scamp
If an EA miniscamp can go for $500, an EA EDUC-8 would really be worth
something !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educ-8

My first assembler language programming was on a Signetics 2650 eval
system (8k ram, load/save to cassette tape) in early 1977, then I
moved on to one of the first Apple II (6502 cpu) to arrive in aus
later that year or early 1978 (??).  I used the M6800 eval kit in
1980, and the DREAM o/s author (Michael Bauer) was one of my tutors at
Uni when it came out.  Programmed lots of other computers too in the
late 70s, from micros up to mainframes, and haven't stopped doing it!

Glenn.

Re: EA Mini-Scamp

I built that one too, but before that I built the 'baby 2650' EA project.
It only had 256 bytes (1/4k!) of RAM, and 64 bytes of that were used
by the monitor program, Pipbug.  I still managed to write a 'Nim' game
program within the remaining 200-odd bytes, though ! Still got it somewhere
in the files.....

Re: EA Mini-Scamp
Can't people stop quoting this deranged individual, so that those of us
who've killfiled him can be in peace on this ng?

Re: EA Mini-Scamp
Ebay:http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-Scamp-Micro-Computer-circa-1978-RARE_W0QQ ...

It's been saved from the dumpster!, someone has put in a bid.
But there is still plenty of time to trump them with the Buy-It-Now
option.

Dave.

Re: EA Mini-Scamp

It ended up fetching $612. Only 2 bidders.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item16%0217511640

Site Timeline