dvd ripping

Which dvd ripping software does anyone use, and how good is it?

Reply to
dmm

**DVD Fab is excellent.

Caution: Do not use this software for ripping copyright DVDs, as this would be illegal. It works very well with non-copyright disks. I have no idea if it works with copyright disks, as to do so would be illegal.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

So load DVD 43, and that takes care of the encryption, then it's a simply matter of using "Shrink" or "Nero"

As for being illegal to copy a DVD, Why then do they allow blanks to be sold, openly. And recorders, copiers are also readily available, Which indecently have been cleared by Customs, at the point of importation.

Simplified, what your attempting to say is, it's perfectly legal to buy a new Bluray recorder, and a supply of blank disc's, but your infringing the copyright laws if you use the bloody thing.

And that's the difference between the normal user and the coping factory with a couple of hundred disc writers, and a screen printer, churning out thousands of copies of whatever movie you want and sold at a big discount, down the local pub, or on a market.

I ordered some DVD's the other week via Australian E-bay, the sellers address was somewhere in the UK, and the DVD's arrived via Minske, Belarus. They arrived here quite legally with a Customs clearance, [green sticker] and where quite obversely boot-leg copies. But no one seems to care, So why should anyone worry about people making there own copies. bassett

Reply to
bassett

**I don't know DVD 43. I do know Shrink. DVD Fab can copy disks that fail to copy with DVD Shrink.
**Those blanks and recorders are for copying non-copyright material. You will quickly realise this fact, if you try to copy most copyright material with such machines. The disks can used in a multitude of machines. The manufacturers are not responsible for their (mis)use.
**No. You're infingining copyright laws, if you copy copyright material. You can copy non-copyright material all day long quite legally.
**Sometime, someone will care. You may end up in big trouble. Or not. It depends on the customs people. I've been dragged down to airport customs. They wanted me to pay duty. Naturally, the material I was importing attracted no duty (and they knew damned well that was the case). They were simply trying to gather extra revenue. I waited while one consulted his books and off I toddled, without paying a cent. Nevertheless, it was inconvenient. One day, it will happen to you too. Only it may not end happily for you. Copyright infringements are viewed seriously.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

It's definitely illegal to copy copyrighted DVD's, CD's, vinyl Records, films, photos, Tapes, VHS, books, sheet music etc without permission from the copyright owner, and regardless of your experience so far with importing bootleg DVD's, you should be aware of this fact. As Trevor says, you might get away with these imports most of the time, but don't count on it, and if you start bringing in commercial quantities, or regular imports you run a higher risk of attracting attention. Maybe you need to watch "border security" to see what people get up to in customs and how they get caught. (of course, we don't know how many slip through)

You would find that in the real world (probably including customs staff !) most people do it for their own use, to give to friends, make a back-up copy etc. I don't think many people in the real world have a problem with that, considering for a decade illegal downloads of just about any movie/music/software you can think of seem to be readily available, and still thriving in spite of all the efforts by the music industry to stop them. With the economic climate as it is heading, I would expect illegal copying/sharing to only increase, and for mr. and mrs. average, not worthwhile to sue for damages, as getting money from most people who are in debt to their eyeballs already will more and more become like extracting blood from a stone if push came to shove.

Eastern Europe (where you got these discs from) isn't particularly worried about these sort of things, they have other issues to deal with. When last in Moscow, they openly sold copies of almost everything you can think of for a few $$. Some were excellent quality however, and while most on obviously burnt discs, more and more were starting to appear on genuine looking silver discs.

Burning and selling quantities of the discs at markets or on Ebay / internet is another matter entirely, would be extremely risky and I don't think you would evade the law for long. The way this ridiculous legal system is going, you would probably get a stiffer sentence for a matter like that than a real crime like bashing someone, or (a real) robbery.

To get back to the real question asked originally, I dont know what you would use to copy movie DVD's as so far I haven't had to. I do recall hearing of people using DVD shrink and AVS video converter for the purpose however.

Reply to
kreed

From watching Border Security it seems that if you pretend not to understand & look confused they simply confiscate and give you a telling off - even if the contraband was stuffed in some socks and hidden down the bottom of a side pocket in a bag.

Reply to
Den

Frankly I think your both over reacting, What I was saying was that people can copy whatever they want regardless of copyrights or encryption technology used. By the way your talking I'm importing container loads of bootleg DVD's and have a pirate operation running employing illegal virgin girls from god knows where.

Where in fact what I said was I ordered some DVD's on e-bay, which turned out to be bootleg copies from Minske. and that simply loading a "free" copy of DVD 43 of the net will allow any man or his dog to copy just about anything. Shrink will NOT eliminate encryptions, it will simply reduce the size or condense a movie track to a point where it will fit on a standard DVD blank disc.

What I am saying is, recorders, copiers, burners, and the medium for there use, is openly sold. And we all know about the people that visit the local Video-ezy store or the council library, to borrow DVD;'s that they take home and copy. As for bootleg copies, they can be detected quite simply, just look round the spindle hole on the disc, if there's no info or serial numbers there, then it's a bootleg copy.

And please don't start the old gag about being careful or I will get a knock on the door. I've been round the block far too many times to take any notice of that bullshit. Or as Paul Hogan said tonight on 60 minutes, The tax dept, know where I am, come get me.

bassett

Reply to
bassett

And another thing, "Shrink" will allow you to change or eliminate that stupid region code, that they still insist on using. bassett

Reply to
bassett

Audio or the whiole DVD ?

geoff

Reply to
geoff

See my post above Geoff,

Reply to
bassett

Which one ? The OP said he wanted to 'rip' DVDs. That could be taken as meaning 'rip' the audio, or the whole content.

I use the the DVD audio ripper from

, who have a range of products for various ends.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

I think your smiley went missing. Here's a spare for you :-) :-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

if driving whilst intoxicated is illegal then why do they allow importation and manufacture of the requisites?

the thing is dvd copiers and blanks are dual-use products, they do have legitimate uses.

Ammonium nitrate is also a dual-use product, buth those in power are suffificently scared by it'd sencondary use to control its distribution.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Lol, stand by for a character check at the supermarket when you want to buy hydrogen peroxide. it did after all sink the Kurst(sp?) and was used by the London bombers.

Reply to
terryc

Doh. If murder is illegal, why do they allow axes ?

geoff

Reply to
geoff

As I remember, (Hydrogen) peroxide was also used as rocket fuel.

Reply to
kreed

**It still is. The space shuttle is partially powered by H2 on take off (with the assistance of solid fuel rockets). When performing orbital manoeuvres, H2 (and O2) is used exclusively.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Hydrogen peroxide is not used by the shuttle, it uses hydrogen+oxgen for the main engine, solid boosters, and IIRC anhydrous hydrazine for the manouvering jets.

The kursk wasn't the only sub to be sunk by its own hydrogen peroxide fueled torpedo, there was a brittish one too. (the HMS Sidon 1n 1955)

I don't think consumer grade (15%) peroxide has explosive potential

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

border security is crap , i worked with them for 7 months , and the AMOUNT of stuff customs took home that werent " allowed " into australia, and the amount of illegal stuff customs officers themselves got thru that no one else couldnt , you got no idea at all. yeah , they show on tv , " look we are burning all the illegalstuff" yeah , right , one load out of 100 , and that sif that load was prohibited customs , and not just refuse.

Reply to
mark krawczuk

that doesnt surprise me at all, the systemic corruption in governments - while rarely mentioned by the media, is rife across the entire system. Those who speak out or complain about it are silenced rather harshly.

Reply to
kreed