DVD Recorder

Hi maybe OT here, but what should I look out for in a DVD recorder.
Some have Hard Drives, which is the way to go, whats the benefits of ones
with built in HD's

And can anyone recommend a good one for around the $500 mark ?
Thanks

Re: DVD Recorder

finger to keyboard and composed:

Look for one with good editing functions. Some will only let you
change the name of a recording, others will let you trim the ads, etc.
I'd also look for ones with USB and firewire ports so that you can
exchange data with digicams, camcorders, and USB memory sticks.
Another useful feature would be the ability to select a lower
recording speed for reliability purposes.

The DVD burner lasts longer because it is needed only for archiving.
Also, the fact that the DVDR has a hard drive suggests that it is
using IDE interfaces for the storage devices which in turn suggests
that you may be able to replace a faulty burner with a standard IDE PC
type. Be aware that although some brands, eg Panasonic, will let you
replace the original hard drive with a larger one, they will format it
to the reduced capacity of the original.

- Franc Zabkar