DVD Recorder

Hi maybe OT here, but what should I look out for in a DVD recorder. Some have Hard Drives, which is the way to go, whats the benefits of ones with built in HD's

And can anyone recommend a good one for around the $500 mark ? Thanks

Reply to
Peter

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 17:53:04 +1000, "Peter" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Look for one with good editing functions. Some will only let you change the name of a recording, others will let you trim the ads, etc. I'd also look for ones with USB and firewire ports so that you can exchange data with digicams, camcorders, and USB memory sticks. Another useful feature would be the ability to select a lower recording speed for reliability purposes.

The DVD burner lasts longer because it is needed only for archiving. Also, the fact that the DVDR has a hard drive suggests that it is using IDE interfaces for the storage devices which in turn suggests that you may be able to replace a faulty burner with a standard IDE PC type. Be aware that although some brands, eg Panasonic, will let you replace the original hard drive with a larger one, they will format it to the reduced capacity of the original.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar