DVD Player Causing Wavy Lines - Help?

G'day,

In recent months when watching DVDs on my 66cm w/s Thomson 28VK25EA tv
using my Philips 736K DVD player connected via S-video, there are
numerous roaming and stationary wavy lines throughout the picture.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/thecosmichobo/scribblygum.jpg

The TV has 3 AV-in ports, 2 of which can handle S-video.  I tried both
s-video ports, and the problem is present in both.  I also tried
connecting via RCA cable, and again the lines are present.  The problem
however is not present when I use my Thomson SD digital set top box via
s-video connection - Only with the DVD player.

I thus tried to use the DVD player on another tv set, and found there
was no distortion on the 2nd tv.

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

Cheers

Travis

Re: DVD Player Causing Wavy Lines - Help?

"cosmichobo"

 **  RFI -   maybe from a nearby  SMPS.

 Try putting the DVD player in another location.

  ........  Phil

Re: DVD Player Causing Wavy Lines - Help?

Thanks for the reply Phil!

I've actually just discovered that my Omni Diamond 5.1 surround sound
speakers seems to be the culprit.  I had considered that possibility,
and tried turning the speakers off, and even disconnecting the power
plug completely, but it wasn't until the speakers were physically
disconnected from the DVD player that the lines went away.

Thinking about it now, in recent weeks the speakers have been making
crackling noises if left on (not noticable when they are in use)...  How
would they be causing this problem?

Cheers

Travis

Re: DVD Player Causing Wavy Lines - Help?

I had a similar symptom but I seem to recall it was the other way
round. What I mean is that when I was using Foxtel's analog service
and I had my DVD player connected (but not playing) via SCART cable,
the analog transmisson exhibited wavy lines. When the DVD player was
taken out of the connection everything cleared up. I was convinced
that somehow there was some EMI interference between the DVD player
and the Foxtel analog STB so I changed over to Foxtel digital. Now I
don't have any wavy lines. This doesn't explain what caused the
symptom but there is obviously some interaction between the DVD player
and other components, in my case the Foxtel analog STU.

Site Timeline