DVD picture doesn't fill the screen

when I played a DVD I hired I found that the picture would not fill the screen. (see photo) I tried another DVD player and got the same result. also the same on the PC. anyone know what is going on here?

"As long as there is this book [Koran] there will be no peace in the world"
-William Gladstone, four times PM of Great Britain
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix

it's 4:3 video with 9:4 letterbox mode.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

Commonly known as "postage stamp". ie. a combination of letter box and pillar box modes. Pitiful that many companies have simply released their old VHS masters to DVD, and to hell with the customer. My old DVD player had a zoom function to increase the size (at the expense of sharpness though of course). My BluRay doesn't however.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

it's and old movie so that makes sense

thanks Trevor and Jasen for the replies. I was able to get it to fill the screen in correct aspect by a combination of settings on the DVD player and the TV

--
"As long as there is this book [Koran] there will be no peace in the world"
-William Gladstone, four times PM of Great Britain
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix

Not IMO. The movie simply has to be redone for DVD rather than taking the cheap way out of converting the VHS master. Obviously the film itself was available for the VHS copy, likely that it is still available if they wanted to do it properly. Now I do see some $2 DVD's where obviously you don't expect quality, but unfortunately I also have $30 ones that are simply VHS copies. Pisses me off. :-(

Glad you managed then.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

I was suggesting if it wasn't an old movie it wouldn't have been made for VHS only DVD

I learned something. :)

burnt a DVD yesterday and it freezes halfway thru when playing in the DVD player. so now I need to figure out.. is it the disc causing the problem, the burner, or the player? (sigh) 'life wasn't meant to be easy' [ Asus DVD burner, LG media, Panasonic player ]

--
"As long as there is this book [Koran] there will be no peace in the world"
-William Gladstone, four times PM of Great Britain
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix

Well there is old, and there is OLD. But as I said any full price DVD that is simply a VHS copy is a rip off IMO, and unfortunately I have a few :-(

Panasonic player. Try using DVD+R instead of DVD-R, sometimes helps. I know their set top DVD writers are fairly fussy about media type, not sure about their players. Try checking the disk for errors in your computer as well. Never used LG media myself, but if it's like the rest of their stuff I'd suggest trying a different brand anyway.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

I have a lot of experience with DVDs, I can speculate, but you probably already know or something by now.

16:9 TV, with DVD player set for 4:3 screen, might cause this for example. I had a brother who bought his 50 inch new TV and couldn't understand why movies didn't look right, until I told him to set the DVD player for 16:9. He was using a zoom or something to compensate until I told him.
Reply to
harold

What speed did you use to burn the DVD?

I have encountered this sort of problem when attempting high speed burns with some media. I now use a maximum of 4X and seldom have any issues.

Reply to
dave.goldfinch

You need a smaller TV, measure the image on your current TV and get that size one

Reply to
Dechucka