dual wifi antennas on routers

I have a new dual antenna router I bought off ebay, a netgear prosafe
series  DGFV338.   I was wondering how the 2 antennas work. Is one for
5ghz and other 2.4ghz?  Can I leave one off as I want to mount it
standing  on its side and just leave one of the antennas upright and
connected.
I have tried it with one antenna only and still get 5 bars of signal
strenth but dont want to damage it potentially.
thanks

George

Re: dual wifi antennas on routers

Shirley it came with destructions.............

Re: dual wifi antennas on routers
instructions dont say a thing..

But reading up on dual antennas it appears  the second antenna is for
'diversity' The radio picks the antenna with the best signal and uses
that antenna. Both antennas are not used at the same time. Some
routers with one antenna have a second diversity antenna internal to
the box.

Re: dual wifi antennas on routers
Yep!  Diversity reception will only work properly with antennas over a
wavelength apart -- no problem at those frequencies.

Re: dual wifi antennas on routers

Also, its important to avoid top posting.

Re: dual wifi antennas on routers
I think you misread his post Barry, he wanted to mount it on its side.

Re: dual wifi antennas on routers
Rubbish!  Stupid pre-occupation of yours, that I've noticed on all the ngs
that you post to.

Re: dual wifi antennas on routers
yes I have removed one antenna and have mounted it on its side.  Range
still good.  Cant notice any difference really.  thanks for the